My own P-40 Warhawk!

Hello!

This build started out in 2014 after a visit to Duxford Flying Legends. I saw there a beautiful NMF P-40 and it really captured my imagination, so much so that I wanted to build my own personal P-40 B in a NMF. I'm not one for "What if" builds usually, I leave that sort of thing up to those better than me. So last year this build was started with the 1/32 Trumpeter P-40B, a CMK resin cockpit and some AM Decals.

As this was to be my own flight, I named her after my lovely wife Shelley-Anne, who has been putting up with me for over 21 years now, and more recently helping me through a rough time with an injury I am still being treated for.

This build was on hold for a very long time due to my not having the full use of my right hand, I am now able to use it again and over time I have been finishing off all the projects left on the bench. I have had great fun with this build, and due to my ham fisted modelling technique I have made some mistakes along the way. I don't mind, it is nice to finish something and to be happy with it.

The kit itself is OK, but the cockpit provided sits far too low inside the airframe and is not a good fit. The CMK cockpit is far and away a huge improvement and is easy to work with. I painted the model with various metallic shades of Alclad II and weathering was done with my own wash and artists oils.

The figure, the best I could find to resemble me was the 1/32 "Flying Tiger" Pilot from Legend Productions. I have to be honest, he doesn't look a lot like me, but it was the best I could do! So I am using a generous scoop of "Artistic Licence" on this one!

Well, enough blabbering from me! Have a look at the pictures and imagine a sunny day at Duxford's airfield.

DSC_4039_zps4kkdt3l6.jpg

DSC_4038_zpss3yfy5xx.jpg

DSC_4028_zpsk89hisrf.jpg

DSC_4021_zps71horl5l.jpg

DSC_4013_zps47wtlc3q.jpg

DSC_3992_zpsq8xri08c.jpg

Edited by Tango 1
  • Like 22

:thumbsup: Excelent built Tango, it looks spectacular.

Reagrds

RSK48(Rafael)

Thank you Rafael!

That really looks fantastic. If that is a likeness of the real 'Shelley-Anne' then you are a lucky fella!

Really top work.

Regards

Jim

Cheers Jim!

A cracking P40 AND an A2. What more could a man ask for? :bouncy:

Thanks Steve, much appreciated. :winkgrin:

Beautiful build! thanks for sharing. Outstanding metal finish!

Thank you!

looks great, very nmf and lovely finish....

Cheers! Much appreciated.

Very good painting. Congratulations!

Thank you very much!

What an outstanding Warhawk,superb build and finish!

Thanks Steve!

Totally impressive. I think your wife would be very,very happy with this.

Awesome NMF and the pilot figure really sets it off. Love the subtle weathering.Cheers from sunny Melbourne,Australia

• Like 1

Looks great .

How do you make the exhaust smoke look ?

Thanks

Rick

Thanks Rick! Tamiya do a shade called smoke it's a very thin black/brown shade. I just gently spray it around the exhaust stack and in the direction of airflow down the fuselage.

Totally impressive. I think your wife would be very,very happy with this.

Awesome NMF and the pilot figure really sets it off. Love the subtle weathering.Cheers from sunny Melbourne,Australia

Thank you Bertie and Cheers!

Tango, a beautiful build and meaningful 'what if'. Also, a great way of getting a model permission to be displayed in the living space!!!!

Thanks Woody!

Nice idea, don't blame you for being inspired by that duxford P-40 it looked great out in the sun. Superb job on the trumpeter kit.

Thanks! A trip to Duxford always inspires!

Hello,Tango1 - That's a clever way of getting your latest build in pride of place on top of the television!Seriously,my compliments to you on a beautifully built and finished model of your 'Warhawk' The project is also a lovely compliment to your good lady.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you

I love the way you did that

Rick

Cheers Rick! You're welcome!

That's Fantastic looks really cracking that :)

Cheers Rob!

Great idea to make own P-40. It must be great feeling to be back on your projects and it is visible on your models. Fantastic model. Martin

Thank you Martin! Yes after a long absence it feels good to be on the mend and building again.

Hello,Tango1 - That's a clever way of getting your latest build in pride of place on top of the television!Seriously,my compliments to you on a beautifully built and finished model of your 'Warhawk' The project is also a lovely compliment to your good lady.All the best,Paul.

Thanks Paul! It was a fun project to do and my other half loves it. Cheers!

• Like 1