Airfix 1/350 Queen Elizabeth Class

Flashman

So with the UK's marvellous new carriers on the way, we all know that it's not a question of if but when as far as the models of them are concerned- and in particular who. Airfix have already got the Invincible Class, T45 and Trafalgar in their RN range and have alluded towards making a QE model. They would not doubt benefit from the patronage that being a British firm would provide in that context. Anyway, I've heard that 2016 will be the year- perhaps to coincide with the arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth in Portsmouth. It's just a rumour, but y gut certainly says that it's accurate- although then again that may be thanks to what I had for lunch!

Meanwhile on the other hand Trumpeter could perhaps not be too far behind and I wonder which one modellers would prefer given the choice...?

Do whack down what you think or even better have heard.

They've already helped with producing a model for the naming ceremony and had it on show at Telford last year. So it might not take too much to release a full kit of QE.

• Like 1

Thirded

Fourthed! Although if anyone did that my money would be on Trumpeter. That said there is a rumour thread currently going on regarding airfix British Phantoms so a man can dream.

I think there are some risks in making a model kit of something that isn't yet operational. Nobody likes the plane kits that were hurried into production before the actual aircraft.

Now give me a Dido class cruiser or the USS Wasp that delivered Spitfires to Malta, wait a few years and then do the QE class!

I think there are some risks in making a model kit of something that isn't yet operational. Nobody likes the plane kits that were hurried into production before the actual aircraft.

Now give me a Dido class cruiser or the USS Wasp that delivered Spitfires to Malta, wait a few years and then do the QE class!

Both are now available in 1/700, Flyhawk do a superb HMS Naiad and Aoshima are releasing the USS Wasp.

• Like 1

So with the UK's marvellous new carriers on the way, we all know that it's not a question of if but when as far as the models of them are concerned- and in particular who. Airfix have already got the Invincible Class, T45 and Trafalgar in their RN range and have alluded towards making a QE model. They would not doubt benefit from the patronage that being a British firm would provide in that context. Anyway, I've heard that 2016 will be the year- perhaps to coincide with the arrival of HMS Queen Elizabeth in Portsmouth. It's just a rumour, but y gut certainly says that it's accurate- although then again that may be thanks to what I had for lunch!

Meanwhile on the other hand Trumpeter could perhaps not be too far behind and I wonder which one modellers would prefer given the choice...?

Do whack down what you think or even better have heard.

The 1/350th model was a scratchbuild by Dave Cov, and Airfix have said that they would only do it in a small scale (probably standard 1/700 rather than 1/600) to keep it affordable and thus viable

• Like 1

The 1/350th model was a scratchbuild by Dave Cov, and Airfix have said that they would only do it in a small scale (probably standard 1/700 rather than 1/600) to keep it affordable and thus viable

Have you got a quote on the 1/700 statement?

That would probably suit me better. No idea where I'd keep a 1/350th scale one.

Just wish they'd do Ark Royal IV too!

Sorry to be a downer, but Airfix have already said, that "unless they can walk on it, it won't happen" in reference to ships...

However, there's much more chance of Trumpy or Merit having a go at Ark Royal IV so never say never :coolio:

As for the QE class, I'd say there's a good chance of Airfix adding them to their line up to complement their other recent 1/350 ship releases... :winkgrin: but not until after trials are completed... :bobby:

Sorry to be a downer, but Airfix have already said, that "unless they can walk on it, it won't happen" in reference to ships...

Hundreds of razor blades, lain out flat...

For my own part, I wonder if HMS Queen Elizabeth mightn't be the Telford announcement. That or a new 1/72 Vulcan.

• Like 2

Have you got a quote on the 1/700 statement?

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966884-my-visit-to-hms-queen-elizabeth-3rd-september-2014/page-2?hl=+queen%20+elizabeth

Hi Jeff,

At the time of the above visit to the ship, I learnt that if Airfix were to produce a kit, then it would probably be a 1/700 scale version and not 1/350. Even then, a kit would only see the light of day if there was enough interest from the public.

Dave.

Thanks Richard I knew Dave had asked about it and got a reply, but couldn't remember which thread.

Anyway a 1/700 HMS Queen Elizabeth is still quite a tasty model, I scratch built one back in 2010 and its a nice little shelf filler, being about 40cm long and 10cm wide.

Hundreds of razor blades, lain out flat...

For my own part, I wonder if HMS Queen Elizabeth mightn't be the Telford announcement. That or a new 1/72 Vulcan.

Could well be that a QE model will be Airfix's big announcement-or something 1/24 ;)