Spitfire Wings & Fins?

Crossofiron1971

Those are support strips on top of the wheel well to stop the upper wing skin from deforming under aerodynamic load. They were added after the war to all surviving early mark Spitfires. An early 19 Sqn Spitfire would not have them.

I understood this to be a mod from about late 1941 (possibly later?) to any in service Mk I-V that did not have the strengthening ribs internal to the structure. Somewhere on here is the thread that discuses the details; most likely Edgar posted the specifics behind the mods, to include drawings and timing.

Tim

It was applied to the A and B wings - the universal © wing was stronger by design. Partly a thicker flat skin with the wheel sitting slightly lower and curved wheel doors. You can see the bulge on the earlier wings inboard of the strakes, which permitted the wheel door to be flush with the wing.

As you are research 19 Sqn if you find an Aircraft ID Letter for any of these, it'll be much appreciated..

R6923 03.09.40 Me110 Damaged

R9431 09.09.40 He111 Dest

R6991 15.09.40 1130-1300 Do17 Damage & 15.09.40 1410-1505 Bf109 Dest, He111 Shared. R6991 Force landed damaged.

P4380 27.09.40 1145-1310 2xBf109 Dest

The stiffeners were fitted, to the Va & Vb, from 16-7-42. Any Mk.I & 2 aircraft, in training units, which needed a damaged wing to be replaced, usually had the Mk.V versions fitted.

The Vc also had strengthening fitted, but it was normally internal to the wells, and was fitted from 14-8-42.

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 2

Glad that Edgar confirmed this stiffener issue, I was wondering if I needed to sand those stiffeners off of all my Tamiya Mk V Spitfires, especially the one I have on my work bench. The Tamiya researchers must have gotten hold of a retrofitted Mk V when they planned out their Mk V release. Interestingly enough I have looked at many pictures of Mk V's and rarely see the stiffeners, with the exception of warbirds of course, which seem to have either the stiffeners, wheel budge, or both. Then there is that pesky wheel bulge I see on many a warbird Spitfire wing. Got quite a few of those "warts" to sand off my Hasegawa Mk IX kits? I think I will be six feet under before I get to those so I will let my son take care of that if and when he or my grandsons get to them!

Cheers

SA