1/72 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.21/.31 by Fly - released - new Mk.31 boxing

Homebee

At long last, these kits look like they have finally been released as they have appeared on E. Bay from a German seller at £43.25

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72-Bristol-170-Freighter-Mk-31-plastic-kit-Fly-model-72030-Novelty-March-2020/233514879129?epid=20037221251&hash=item365e924899:g:mhkAAOSw0bleYDA0

I have been faithfully hanging on to my S&M decal sheet for a BKS Air Transport machine for this.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sprues & more

- ref. 72030 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk. 31

https://www.fly814.cz/products/a72030-bristol-170-freighter-mk-31/

• Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31M, NZ5906 (NZ5902) of the RNZAF, early 1970s
  • Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31M, No. 9700 of the RCAF

IMG-20200318-141933.jpg

IMG-20200318-142543.jpg

IMG-20200318-142449.jpg

IMG-20200318-142506.jpg

IMG-20200318-142041.jpg

IMG-20200318-142434.jpg

IMG-20200318-142021.jpg

Bristol-170.jpg

decal-72030.jpg

decal-72030-cor.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

Sorry this cannot be seen as an accurate model! As any modeller of the right age knows (who built the Airfix version) the REAL Bristol Freighter has HUGE hinges on the clam shell doors.

Cannot find a tongue firmly in cheek emoji!

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Sorry this cannot be seen as an accurate model! As any modeller of the right age knows (who built the Airfix version) the REAL Bristol Freighter has HUGE hinges on the clam shell doors.

Easy, Paul... There are 20+ small teardrop blisters of various sizes dispersed over the fuselage and wing sprues.

I'm absolutely convinced that these prominent hinges are among them for sure.

It's the long-time Czech modelling "tradition" to make the fuselage and wings "clean of any obstacles", allowing surface corrections to be done by the modeller and fixing all tiny details afterwards.

I remember the 1970s KzP MiG-19S that made me furious with some 20 tiny air scoops (mostly for the afterburner cooling) to be glued all over the rear fuselage with no locating lugs at all.

Frankly speaking it's 2020 today and the new tool KP MiG-19S features the same method. Brrr...........

Cheers

Michael 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wow, she looks good, I remember eyeing the real one a lot. Just add 3D rivet decals and you're done. The three Airfix ones I have will become paper airplanes if I get this one.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Caerbannog said:

Will there be a civil version? Like Silver City with a nice ramp and a Morris Minor? Please...

With decals for the example in the film "The man in the sky" perhaps?

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 10:31 AM, Caerbannog said:

Will there be a civil version? Like Silver City with a nice ramp and a Morris Minor? Please...

Yes but surely the whole point of a Bristol Freighter is to have the clam-shell doors as separate parts with detail inside the open doors and a ramp - Neither are supplied in this kit, as the fuselage halves are moulded with the doors fixed closed. For the price they are asking I would have at least expected that?

Also decals are wrong for the RCAF version. - early red tail flag with late style Canadian leaf roundels???

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

Released

- ref. 72030 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31

https://www.fly814.cz/bristol-170-freighter-mk-31

https://www.artscale.eu/en/1-72-bristol-170-mk-21.html

- ref. 72033 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.21

https://www.fly814.cz/bristol-170-freighter-mk-21

https://www.artscale.eu/en/1-72-bristol-170-mk-31.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

For Fifty Quid, I expected something better than this - Separate nose doors with detailed opening apparatus and accurate decals for a start. I have converted two Airfix kits to  Mk.31s using the Tasman nose conversion, which are really good. After years of waiting, sorry  FLY you have had plenty of time to do better!

• 1 month later...

Flory Models has done a review of the Mk21 version on Youtube:

A pretty fair review, Phil. I think the boy has a soft spot for the old girl.

Interesting to see the panel detail was vastly different from the old Airfix one. Not meaning the millions of rivets but rather the panel lines for the fuselage and wings.

I wonder where and on what airframe the FLY chaps did their prototype research for this kit? 

No Internal detail has been included which really is a shame.  Front doors are fixed shut. Glad to see the flawed canopy and engines have been addressed and they look pretty good. Plus, the glasswork for the front doors but I think it will mean a fair bit of cutting. The air intakes inboard of the engines also have a far better representation (with an internal air splitter included).

The cockpit is also more detailed and the props look better too. Hmm, I wonder if a decent MK32 could be done with grafting the Airfix front onto the body of the Fly Mk31 ? 

Furthermore, I see that 26 Decals are doing decals for MK31 - Aer Turas, Dan Air and BKS. Thank guys.

I am thankful to FLY for going out and doing this kit. But even as a limited run kit, with no internal fuselage or clam door detail I think this is a pretty expensive kit for what you get. Mmmm.  I still haven't made up my mind if I will go for one or both versions or stick with detailing and modifying my four old Airfix kits I still have in my stash.

The first aircraft I ever flew on back in the sixties from Lydd. I even remember watching the loading of my old man's Ford Consul onto a British United 32 and him buying his obligatory stick of 200 No6 fags on the way over from the stewardess.   Happy days.

I also remember going down again to Lydd in the very early 70s and seeing them lined up along the entry road, prop, tail and engine-less awaiting scrapping. Sad days. 

Edited by chopper61
Added link and edited for added details.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.21/.31 by Fly - released - new Mk.31 boxing in 2022

3 hours ago, Homebee said:

That's the one I've been waiting for!

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.21/.31 by Fly - released - new Mk.31 boxing
  • 2 weeks later...

Still got the wrong roundels for the RCAF one

They should have the earlier style maple leaf to go  with the early red ensign style Canadian flag. The Bristol never saw the newer style being retired before the change pover of markings.

• Like 1