1/72 - Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.21/.31 by Fly - released - new Mk.31 boxing

Homebee

Its got to be an RCAF one for me without a doubt!!   Depending when it appears it will be a early Christmas/Birthday treat for me.  I do have one unbuilt Airfix Mk.32 in the British United boxing and one of the last re issues partially built but cockpit transparency lost!

Although I'm an Aussie, I think the camouflaged Kiwi Freighters look way to cool to by-pass. Should I get one, it's RNZAF for me. 

Looking forward to these.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

Agree with you there Dave, then again, I would, wouldn't I, I should anyway. :D I'm moving toward 1/144 for these bigger jobbies though, still yet to treat myself to an Oz models one, should really make it 2, one for RNZAF & one for Safe air.

Steve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Haven't AModel announced a Dove for later this year , although I'm still waiting for the Jetstreams T2 and T4, having sold my Airfix pair + S&M conversion sets for a tidy sum in anticipation.

Yes they have, but note that I posted long before A Model announced their Dove. At this rate the Freighter will be out first.

51 minutes ago, kiwitrogg said:

And I keep telling my wife that there's nothing more for me to buy !  A Kiwi one for me too !

Wigram%20Freighter_zpsb2ywrttx.jpg

More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos...

:please:

Cheers.. Dave.

35 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos... More Photos...

:please:

Cheers.. Dave.

Okay.....okay....okay....okay....okay.... okay....okay....okay.......:rofl:

Sorry, this was squeezed into the restoration hanger and I was on a guided tour so there wasn't much opportunity for taking good photos.  It was a couple of years ago and there was so much to see in there that I was like a kid in a sweet shop. I've only really got that one and these two photos.  I hope to get back down there one day (definitely if I get this kit !) so I'll try and get some more then if I can. 

Wigram%20Freighter%202_zpsciuoasb0.jpg

Wigram%20Freighter%203_zpsm8rzptnd.jpg

Some help I hope.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 2

Nice one Gaz,

Where abouts in NZ is this aircraft located?

Only the other day the missus mentioned that she wouldn't mind taking the kids to NZ (I did propose to her on a secluded beach at Thames, Coromandel Coast way back in 1996), so perhaps I could factor this detour in, should the holiday ever eventuate.

Cheers and thanks for the extra pics .. Dave.

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice one Gaz,

Where abouts in NZ is this aircraft located?

Only the other day the missus mentioned that she wouldn't mind taking the kids to NZ (I did propose to her on a secluded beach at Thames, Coromandel Coast way back in 1996), so perhaps I could factor this detour in, should the holiday ever eventuate.

Cheers and thanks for the extra pics .. Dave.

It's down in the Airforce Museum in Christchurch (South Island), a bit of a drive from the Coromandel I'm affraid, in fact it's a bit of a drive from anywhere since the earthquake ! I've just looked at their website and it looks like they've moved a few more aircraft out into the main display hall, including the Freighter.  Museum Website 

Crikey....just realised that I haven't been to the Coromandel myself since the Grand Campervan Tour in ,97 !  Must get back there as well one day, it's quite scenic; definitely a nice place for a proposal.

Cheers

Gaz  :)

I agree with Rabbit Leader, the camouflaged RNZAF Bristols are such a marvellous anachronism. I flew Wellington - Auckland in one in the 1970s, facing backwards with earmuffs on all the way.

Others will know more, but I recall the story of an American air traffic controller in Vietnam asking the pilot of an RNZAF Bristol to confirm that his undercarriage was down, to which the reply was "Affirmative - down and welded"!

Richard in NZ

• Like 1

That looks pretty cool as well Steve, I now see why you want to model a Safe Air Freighter?

I fondly remember a disused Bristol Freighter being parked at Victoria's Essendon Airport in the late seventies.

Besides the large amount of bird poop it seemed to attract, I recall a very narrow ladder that led the crew up into the cockpit.

I seemed to think at the time that this ladder was way too small as even I was struggling to climb it as a fit and healthy 10 year old!

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

The Moorabbin Air Museum has the ex-Air Express VH-ADL in its collection - and you can walk right up to it and touch it. No doubt if you asked nicely you might also be allowed inside to photograph - the blokes down there were more than helpful on Monday when I wanted to measure and photograph their DC-3. I manged to leave my notebook with all the dimensions I'd recorded down there when I left, but that's another story!

• 7 months later...

Another 6 months gone by and still no sign of the FLY  Bristol Freighter!   This is getting concerning!   I was at Bristol Filton last month to witness the arrival of the Kiwi Bristol Freighter for the Aerospace Bristol Museum. My pics will appear in the March issue of Aviation News and I am already chomping at the bit for this kit......where is it?:waiting: 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, Plasto said:

It’s a bit sad that it’s gone TBH...

To play Devil's Advocate, NZ has almost had a monopoly on Freighters for quite a while and when the buyer of the Ardmore machine was announced I was very happy: it's got a safe, secure home where it'll be properly cared for and put on display in top condition. Every time I saw it on visits to Ardmore it was a depressing sight.

To tide us over until we get more news from Fly:

https://youtu.be/xqamW3-iTQg

On 6/14/2017 at 11:11 PM, rholland said:

I agree with Rabbit Leader, the camouflaged RNZAF Bristols are such a marvellous anachronism. I flew Wellington - Auckland in one in the 1970s, facing backwards with earmuffs on all the way.

Others will know more, but I recall the story of an American air traffic controller in Vietnam asking the pilot of an RNZAF Bristol to confirm that his undercarriage was down, to which the reply was "Affirmative - down and welded"!

Richard in NZ

Or a similar story from Vietnam, when American ATC was told that a RNZAF B170 was about to land, he couldn't believe that the Flying Fortress was still operational!.

• 2 months later...