Humbrol Clear Matt

HL-10

I decided to have a go at using some of this on a model:

100_5494.jpg

take a screenshot

This was the result:

100_5493.jpg

picture hosting

It was airbrushed straight over Tamiya acrylics.

My Afrika Korps Pz II looks like it should be on the Eastern Front instead!

I managed to salvage it by applying a cote of Tamiya's Matt Varnish.

Anyone have a similar result?

I did contact Humbrol regarding my problems, but apart from an automated reply, I've heard nothing else.

• Like 1

Hmmm, interesting. Normally I would say that there is too much flattening agent, or that it has not been properly shaken, but for a gloss varnish :hypnotised: !!!!!!!!

I too have had problems. Recently I tried using a bottle of this, purchased last year, as a gloss coat over AM RAF Interior Green before applying a wash.

The first coat was airbrushed on, neat and using the usual settings for Klear and it gave the appearance that some just disappeared into the paint whilst other areas 'beaded'.

A second coat was applied, thinking that it would even out the first, but exactly the same result occurred.

OK, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to knock off any surface tension, result, nope.

Right, I thought, soft, wide brush application time and ... the same, with and without dishwashing liquid.

I only managed to get a decent finish by using 'proper' Klear.

So, is this a manufacturing glitch, am I doing something wrong, (if so what???), phases of the moon????

Christian, exiled to africa, a land without (a) Klear Future...

I mix a bit with Humbrol Satin to make my own 'Mattin' so to speak. This is thinned a lot with white spirit. Works every time. Build up a few coats of it to desired result.

I have had those problems as those above with the stuff in the past though until I started to experiment.

Hmmm, interesting. Normally I would say that there is too much flattening agent, or that it has not been properly shaken, but for a gloss varnish :hypnotised: !!!!!!!!

Looking at the label it's actually a matt varnish so perhaps it is too much agent. I didn't know Humbrol had this version in addition to gloss. Wonder if they have a satin one too.

Looking at the label it's actually a matt varnish so perhaps it is too much agent. I didn't know Humbrol had this version in addition to gloss. Wonder if they have a satin one too.

Both Humbrol Matt and Satin Clears were issued a short time ago.

I've used their Gloss Clear with mixed results.

Not sure if I'll get these ones, however would like to know how others are getting on with them.

Hopefully, they are useable.

Cheers.. Dave.

Both Humbrol Matt and Satin Clears were issued a short time ago.

I've used their Gloss Clear with mixed results.

Not sure if I'll get these ones, however would like to know how others are getting on with them.

Hopefully, they are useable.

Cheers.. Dave.

The gloss is working out fine for me, there is crazy paving if you look close enough and not an issue as I don't enter competitions. Matt and satin varnishes in general have been hit and miss. I'm assuming it's because of the matting agent and being able to get the mixing right.

This is caused by spraying in damp or humid conditions, best thing you can do is take it outside and spray it with the same in direct warm sunlight and it should deactivate and release trapped moisture and dry clear. Works for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here, tried letting it settle and using the clear liquid at the top but got the same result but not quite as bad. Humidity is not a issue here at the moment for testing.

No reply from Humbrol either. Used there gloss clear for ages and love it as there enamels as well but this is a disappointment so far.

Cheers from Mick.

HL-10 same thing hapened to my spitfire 22/23 totaly ruined it, I had used Tamiya flat alu for my bird. Got on to Humbrol got through to a idiot first question did you shake the bottle I have been modeling for over forty years Mmmmm wouldnt have thought of that, After nearlly a hour of endless stupid solutions No! joy, even after I explained to them about the overwelming smell of ammonia nothing doing so in the bin it went....Now on their web page it says does not work with certain brands of paint Hahahahahaha.

• 3 weeks later...

Their web page has now been updated it now says

Substrate

Humbrol Enamel and Acrylic Paints

ie only use over our paint brand..... :mental:

even then it does the same thing. I tested it on the underside of my Aston Martin DBR9 as I was about to coat a spitfre I just finished and I am glad I ran this test. It turned the bottom of the Aston white :mental: I used Humbrol Acrylic 33 for the underside of the aston and fisnihed painting it over 3 weeks ago, so it's not even a case of I didn't allow the paint to cure........... I am chucking this straight in the bin. It's really disappointing that Humbrol products rarely seem to work together i.e declafix mashing up clear coated models, clear matt turning humbrol painted models frosty, maskol ripping humbrol acrylic paints off models. I am starting to think I am going to chuck all my humbrol stuff in the bin and switch to Tamiya

• 2 weeks later...

So, by now anyone reading this thread should finally get the idea that Humbrol Matt cote or varnish is just too hit and miss and not worth the effort :weep: !

Try one of the competing brands (like Vallejo or Gunze or model master or... or ....) at least you know what you get (whether you like it or not is another matter :winkgrin: ).

not sure from the above comments if you are supposed to shake Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish or not?

But it sounds like whatever you do you get the cloudy (can't think of any better way to put it) result? I tried it on some undercarriage first and while not great it's not a game changer for that model, but I will not risk it on 'real' paintwork as the model is liable to end up in the bin.

Odd as I have had great results with the Gloss version, it sprays like a dream and gives good results so got my hands on the Matt and Satin (I assume Satin gives same cloudy results?) as soon as I could, looks like I wasted my model?

So on a more positive note any recommendation for a good acrylic Matt varnish to spray?

Pete

not sure from the above comments if you are supposed to shake Humbrol Clear Matt Varnish or not?

But it sounds like whatever you do you get the cloudy (can't think of any better way to put it) result? I tried it on some undercarriage first and while not great it's not a game changer for that model, but I will not risk it on 'real' paintwork as the model is liable to end up in the bin.

Odd as I have had great results with the Gloss version, it sprays like a dream and gives good results so got my hands on the Matt and Satin (I assume Satin gives same cloudy results?) as soon as I could, looks like I wasted my model?

So on a more positive note any recommendation for a good acrylic Matt varnish to spray?

Pete

the difference between gloss and matt/satin varnish is the matting agent. Gloss doesn't need it and the other two does which means there's more of a risk going wrong if not mixed right. Haven't used it yet but people have been recommending "winsor and newton galeria matt varnish" as a good one to use.

Edited by Knight_Flyer

the difference between gloss and matt/satin varnish is the matting agent. Gloss doesn't need it and the other two does which means there's more of a risk going wrong if not mixed right. Haven't used it yet but people have been recommending "winsor and newton galeria matt varnish" as a good one to use.

yes going to go to local art shop tomorrow and see if they stock it

I'll second the Winsor and Newton matt and satin varnishes. After chucking the Humbrol away in disgust I ordered the Winsor and Newton Matt and Satin acrylic varnish off Amazon and it works a treat. It brushes on easily enough and dries to a perfect matt finish.

• Like 1

I'll second the Winsor and Newton matt and satin varnishes. After chucking the Humbrol away in disgust I ordered the Winsor and Newton Matt and Satin acrylic varnish off Amazon and it works a treat. It brushes on easily enough and dries to a perfect matt finish.

anyone have advice on airbrushing the winsor and newton galeria matt/satin varnishes, do they need thinning and if so what with/ratio of thinner to varnish? I am pretty sure you can spray them from the bottle but thought I'd ask?

Second what you say about the Humbrol matt but not tried the satin, but then again after the matt I'm inclined to just chuck that away too.

Meanwhile I have to repaint and then varnish some wheels as at the moment they look more like crazy paving than tyres after the Humbrol matt farcel

• 1 month later...

I had the same experience using Humbrol Matt Varnish on my spitfire. I thought at first that this was just the way it went on then dried white. Perhaps you have to rub it off i thought? Or it needs buffing? NOPE! and the result, 1 snowy looking spitfire.

Now working out ways of removing this without damaging the paintwork but like a lot of other people here, this bottle is heading for the bin and the hunt begins for a 'good quality' matt varnish. Winsor and Newton sounds promising....

Their web page has now been updated it now says

Substrate

Humbrol Enamel and Acrylic Paints

ie only use over our paint brand..... :mental:

It should be fine over acrylics that have been allowed to dry properly but I do agree that will be Humbrol's get out clause.

Cheers,

Nigel

I will totally agree Humbrol Matt varnish ...bin.

I am now totally converted to W & N matt UV varnish 50:50 thinned with water through airbrush...brilliant!

Cheers

K

same here, although I thinned my W & N Galeria Matt 50/50 with Tamiya X-20A and that worked fine too.

I have now also had 'crazing' problems with the Humbrol Clear Gloss varnish, which has been ok in past.

So now my clear coat needs are met by..............

Matt : W & N Galeria Matt (tried and works a treat)

Satin : W & N Galeria Satin (not tried it yet but assume it will be as good as the Matt)

Gloss : Alclad II ALC-600 Aqua Gloss (tried and is superb)

So that just means I have to pour away four bottles of the Humbrol stuff.

Shame as I really want to support Humbrol but, for me anyway, their varnishes just do not work properly.

Pete

• Like 1