HK Meteor F4...Gallery pics.

Like it says on the tin (well, ok the thread title) I'm building HK's big Meteor:

DSCN8908_zpsb9w1vxsh.jpg

No definite idea yet what it'll be finished as but I'm determined that I'll be adding no extras to it nor doing my usual surgery.....though I'm still tempted by Fisher's T7.....get thee behind me Satan! :fight:
Max

.....get thee behind me Satan! :fight:

Max

That's SATIN!

Michael :devil::bleh:

Edited by MichaelSatin
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bet you can't do it, Max! (True OOB) But it'll be fun watching, regardless. EDIT: And now I see from FZ6's thread that I was right :winkgrin:

I haven't really picked one (or more) yet, but I'll definitely be joining this theme once I re-stabilize from our trip to Finland. (Sadly, hardly any aviation content.)

When I was working on one of the schooners there was a small paint tin at eye level in the stores room called something like "Satin Additive", and every time I saw it I wondered... I notice that your name is finally spelled right, also, 'Micahel'!

bob

Edited by gingerbob

You're absolutely right of course Bob!!! Damn. In addition to the Fisher nacelles I also have the Brassin wheels, the beautiful G-Factor brass undercarriage, HGW seatbelts, Profimodeller cockpit set and Xtradecal decals......that's nearly OOB! No serious surgery though apart from the nacelles, still waiting for those to arrive. My two Tiger Moths are nearing completion (or the GB date will beat me...whichever :) ) so I'm looking forward to making a start on my first ever jet!

Max

I've finally made a small start on my F4. The cockpit was sprayed black, then top-coated with a dark grey sprayed from an angle from above thereby creating a shadow effect in the lower areas. When dry a light dry brushing was applied. I couldn't live with the awful seat as supplied so I looked at the PDF of Eduard's PE layout, took a screen shot and then re-sized the image to provide a template. My simplified, but improved version is made from lead foil:

DSCN9031_zpsxtz2gcql.jpg

DSCN9029_zpspcxhraqb.jpg
The whole lot will have a final, barely discernible coat of thinned black/brown once assembled.
Max
  • Like 3

Cunning plan regarding the seat Max! The seat really makes a difference in the cockpit area doesn't it? Eduard recommend you trim 3mm off the seat base when using their seat in the instructions. I'm taking it you didn't fancy performing surgery in this area.

Cockpit is looking good with some paint on it.

Regards,

Mark

Yes I have cut the top off the pedestal Mark, I could see that my scratch-built seat was sitting too high, so that's now sorted. I managed to get in more bench time yesterday so worked a bit more on the cockpit, busying it up a bit. Pictures later.

Max

A bit more work on the cockpit. I'm using the Profimodeller cockpit PE:

DSCN9039_zpsp14faxtf.jpg

.....and Airscale dials. The Profimodeller set comes with a curious little insert to go between the IP faces to simulate dial faces but it's not very convincing and it's not, apparently, a decal because when I tried soaking it in water, nothing moved. No loss though.

DSCN9041_zpsyrqhvrlm.jpg

DSCN9042_zpsm8vwshty.jpg

I'm going to put a couple of random placards on the cockpit walls, maybe a few cable runs, fit the HGW seatbelt then close it all up.

Max

• Like 2

The cockpit's completed. The HGW seatbelt took all evening to put together - a bit of head scratching to figure out what the illustrations meant and a little bit of fine surgery to get some of the belts to fit through the buckles, but the end result is quite pleasing.

DSCN9063_zpsmvotnnew.jpg

DSCN9061_zpsvxjesocm.jpg
The "cannons" suppled with the kit are awful, I could have done better with some extruded sprue, but I've used some Albion Alloys' brass tube to replicate them. Not pretty from the inside, but effective where it matters.
DSCN9065_zpsuh6mklti.jpg
The fuselage is now ready to be joined together, mustn't forget to put the nose weight in place and of course the rudder first though.
Max
  • Like 1

Fuselage closed up. The Fisher correction set for the nacelles arrived today so working on fitting those now. The wings are not yet assembled nor is the fuselage secured to the wings though from this little trial the join seems better than I've read some people have experienced:

DSCN9069_zpszkvjxeo4.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Although on one hand I'm sorry that you'll have to do some rescribing too but on the other hand I'm relieved to know I haven't messed up somewhere!

Just to give you the heads up. I've found another part HK Models forgot to include in the kit by the look of things.

On the port side there is a small hole in the fuselage below the cockpit. I'm sure this should be an inspection window of some kind. Unfortunately HK models don't seem to include the relevant part in the kit and there is no reference to it in the instructions.

By the way what size tubing did you use to replicate the gun barrels?

Thanks Colin, must admit I do enjoy doing things like cockpits and engines - adding simple details such as plug leads or cabling runs makes these potentially bland areas so much more interesting, as does painting them with some subtlety! :)

Mark, the gun barrels are 1.75mm tubing - it's just about the right size I think but 2.25mm is too big so I could have used 2mm if I'd had any! I know what you mean about that hole, I was looking at a pic only this morning where it was very evident.

b2e4ea76-fa63-44bd-8ca2-5d07b77f67be_zps

This is what Eric did on his superlative F8 build:

E4C6CFA3-028A-4459-8402-F1259C7AAF52_zps

Love this picture of a line up of F4s, note the at rest position of most of the elevators:

4610977431_4b7f043204_b_zpsmbzofugf.jpg

Max

More modelling time this afternoon. The runners are on for the canopy, I must say they were a very very good fit.

DSCN9149_zpslfmhi8b5.jpg

Also completed apart from the trim tabs is the empennage, I've angled the elevators in the slightly up position as shown in the previous squadron photo:

DSCN9148_zpslbdjcl9n.jpg
DSCN9146_zpsgasivukp.jpg
I've also finished the initial work for the AM nacelles. I wasn't terribly happy with the first one, simply using a razor saw to make the crucial cuts, the fit is going to need some filler to get a good joint. So for the second one I drilled "guide" holes then cut between them to remove the kit nacelle, trimming back to the guide tape with a knife and sanding stick. The result is much better, it fits like a glove even before final adjustments:
DSCN9145_zpsc7gdtehw.jpg
DSCN9150_zpsbjwskvxt.jpg
No further work this weekend though :(
Max
  • Like 2

Thanks Dave, it's actually a very simple kit if built OOB, which was my original intention but I think I suffer from OCD when it comes to modelling. In fact, looking at some of the other older kits being built in this STGB, this is probably one of the most straight forward since it's so well engineered.

Max

I spent sometime yesterday evening doing some gentle sanding along the fuselage join line to get rid of any seams, having first run some liquid putty along them (basically plastic dissolved into a liquid state like we used to do in the old days with shavings of plastic sprue mixed into glue). So today I gave it a light coating of Tamiya fine primer hoping not to see any phantom seams.....fortunately NOT!

DSCN9153_zpsldnwahor.jpg

The PE bits behind the cockpit were fitted:

DSCN9151_zpssc9rradf.jpg
It appears the perceived wisdom to get a good wing join is to fit the upper wings first.....who am I to argue? So, starboard upper wing in place:
DSCN9155_zpsg25n3iiv.jpg
Max
  • Like 2