Takom Chieftain Mk11

That is an impressive model!

After all that work (and expense) on the Tamiya kit to make it accurate, now Takom bring this beauty!

Fantastic model!

A dream build of a kit

These TAKOM Chieftains are, whilst not neccessarily for the novice beginner, very stright forward to build and assembly is practically flawless.

There is very little fettling needed though a couple of parts are 'frustrating'. Total assembly was around the 12 hours mark though this was spread out over a few days. You could, if the mood takes you, have this one done and dusted over a wet/long weekend.

There are a couple of errors in the instructions but both Shadowmobile and myself have covered them in the articles on the Leicester Modellers webpages.

Though this model has 2-part indy track, these are the best tracks I have ever encountered - the construction of a simple assembly jig will make life even simpler here.

Don't even think of using after-market track until you have tried these and while they are not 'workable' they are stunning.

On the main track there are: NO sprues, NO injector pin marks, NO flash, NO fit issues

On the track pads you have 6-sprues with 2 small connectors for each pad - Simples! and NO flash, NO injector pin marks

In price terms the kit is (will be) comparible with almost every other similarly sized model out there but, with this model particularly, there are no overcomplicated assemblies.

Very Highly Recommended especially if you're into British Cold War Armour or, just want a Cool Tank to build!

• Like 1

Gorgeous that!

A question if I may, something that's always puzzled me. Are the smoke dischargers not tubes? Or are there 'covers' over the 'cartridges'? And what are the rectangular hollows - different type of cartridge?

Nick

• Like 1

Gorgeous that!

A question if I may, something that's always puzzled me. Are the smoke dischargers not tubes? Or are there 'covers' over the 'cartridges'? And what are the rectangular hollows - different type of cartridge?

Nick

They are normally covered with a green canvas cover, the tubes are the newer version that's found on the Challenger 1 and 2

and the rectangular holes are just to lighten up the unit as its a single casting. Once armed the grenades stick out

of the unit, to rearm someone has to go outside and replace them.

All models show them without the grenades although I think Voyager does a nice set of grenades for the US Bradley but with some

basic skills you could get them to fit.

Dan

• Like 1

Nice build. I've just started on mine, and I am really surprised on how thick and clunky the sprue gates are. I have had to resort to an ultra fine razor saw. I can see them causing a real problem on the smaller, more delicate parts. Did you meet any problems on any particular part in their removal?

I've done the MK.10 and though the sprues are a little clunky they are not any real issue.

I did not need a razor saw but just snipped the parts off as usual. The only aspect different was to remove the part with a small amount of sprue attached and then pare it back.

The whole build was 12 hours spread across 4 days and was one of the easiest I have ever done.