***FINISHED*** AFV Club 1/35 M5A1 Stuart (Late) - "Fish n Chips" + interior

robw_uk

The modulation looks great and, like you say, the washes and weathering will tie everything together.

It's amazing how frail it looks once the sandbag armour is removed. You can see why the crews would want to pile them up with as much extra protection as possible.

Andy

cheers Andy....

more progress... decals on, trying some camouflage netting (bandage soaked in watered-down white glue... going to see how it dries (inspiration from a photo in the "Tanks in Detail" book for the Stuart

24341976949_da57a6b500_z.jpgP1300024 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24414112470_d0f608ef49_z.jpgP1300025 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24414108880_53b358992c_z.jpgP1300026 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24414105510_6a8794a10c_z.jpgP1300028 by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 1

Aye up Rob,

Looking great. I've used the pva and gauze method many times and I like the effect that it gives. Once painted and weathered it can look very convincing.

Look forward to seeing more of this.

Regards

Steve

Aye up Rob,

Looking great. I've used the pva and gauze method many times and I like the effect that it gives. Once painted and weathered it can look very convincing.

Look forward to seeing more of this.

Regards

Steve

cheers Steve, think I have dilute dthe glue too mcuh... when it is dry i will probably re-glue it with neat PVA.... not sure about the sandbag one (only cos I think the sandbags are amongst the best bits of painting I have done so dont want to cover them... but round the turret maybe

no photos... have ditched the sandbag camo netting, keeping the turret one... painted it the same Olive Drab base as the turret which means it "vanishes" (I know thats what camouflage is meant to do but...). Plan to add some highlighting to the netting to try to bring it out from the turret. other progress

1) started painting the tracks (what colour should I look to do the guides - would they have been steel?)

2) started painting the tools

3) painted more on the stowage - it is blocked in so now need to do highlight/shadow work on it

4) need to look at what other stowage I have from Value Gear (got a rather nice pack of assorted gear) from them to see what else I can add - may be a couple of bags handing from the turret)

once the tracks are done I will add them and the front wheels and then can start on the weathering - going to go sparing, just some chips through the decals and some rain run off (would paynes grey or black oil really thinned be good for that?)

Edited by robw_uk

In IMHO, the camouflage net is a detail which is very useful in reals models for masking function in the vehicle, but for my personal taste, in the models, make obviously miss the view, all the good work done so far (as is the case yours :winkgrin: ), and once completed, the model denies important parts to look at and enjoy it,

Greetings Rob :thumbsup:

In IMHO, the camouflage net is a detail which is very useful in reals models for masking function in the vehicle, but for my personal taste, in the models, make obviously miss the view, all the good work done so far (as is the case yours :winkgrin: ), and once completed, the model denies important parts to look at and enjoy it,

Greetings Rob :thumbsup:

thats why i have ditched the sandbag one - feel the bags are amongst the best finish I have achieved... the turret, well its just a turret so if i can get the camo net looking good then I will use it - its not attached as yet so can be binned if i dont like the end result

Personally, I like it with the netting. It gives a nice contrast to the hard edges on the rest of the tank.

The sandbags are looking great against the green of the hull

Andy

cheers Andy, do have to admit i am sadly pleased with the sandbags....

as for the netting, going to try damping & re-draping (behinning to think it needs to be dyed first rather than painted - thats what I am going to try on my Sherman - think the barrel will suit being wrapped and maybe the glacis)

as for the netting, going to try damping & re-draping (behinning to think it needs to be dyed first rather than painted - thats what I am going to try on my Sherman - think the barrel will suit being wrapped and maybe the glacis)

Yes, that's the conclusion I've come to when I've tried it in the past. It's much easier to colour it first than try to paint it in situ

Andy

Yes, that's the conclusion I've come to when I've tried it in the past. It's much easier to colour it first than try to paint it in situ

Andy

going to soak it as it is and see if any of the paint comes off - if it does its not going to go anywhere near the turret and I will redo with dyed bandage....

is not a criticism, it's just an opinion, I like more with the bags, without network in the turret, but you are the one you have to feel satisfied with the end result, good work :goodjob: , greetings Rob

thats ok, am coming to the conclusion that netting is wrong - will try to dyw the stuff first and see if that makes it look more realistic.....

• Like 1

That's looking fantastic Rob. I think you were right to leave off the netting. With the stowage on the back, it would have looked too cluttered with the netting as well. As it is, the stowage on the back and sandbags on the front balance each other out perfectly. Looks just right.

Andy

• Like 1

That's looking fantastic Rob. I think you were right to leave off the netting. With the stowage on the back, it would have looked too cluttered with the netting as well. As it is, the stowage on the back and sandbags on the front balance each other out perfectly. Looks just right.

Andy

cheers Andy, may add something stowage-wise hanging off the turret, have some small bags with/without helmets

odourless thinner arrived so able to do some oil weathering... not 100% certain but think it is all tying together slowly.... question - do i need to redo my green wash to tone down the streaks?

24694069079_f5a7b503da_z.jpg12744276_10153555422442979_4115027138527650932_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24943586012_587f52d20e_z.jpg12744608_10153555422192979_8417267638357617557_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24943585972_4bb58ee82b_z.jpg12745630_10153555422152979_5746511097544306605_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24694069089_084247ce19_z.jpg12729287_10153555422092979_7381514899659022214_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

25061701285_cb04fa0dd0_z.jpg10527867_10153555422317979_4908461152839315845_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

24431039414_9b2eedcb9e_z.jpg10380364_10153555422367979_2344128308671439577_n by Robert Worth, on Flickr

• Like 3

I think the wash and streaks are looking fine Rob. You could always give it a light overspray with a dust colour if you think it's a bit too stark

Andy

cheers Andy - was going to give it a pigment dusting when i have a suitable base....

ok so FINISHED (apart from the dusting as discussed)... will take some better photos when I get access to natural light (so tomorrow if work permits me a short break) and put it in RFI:
  • Like 1

That's truly superb Rob. Great finish, nice colours, perfect weathering, tidy build. The stowage on the back is brilliant.

Personally I'd have 'tied down' some of the sandbags on the front to stop the whole lot sliding off. I thought your cammo net might have looked better rolled up and shoved down the side of the turret, with just a bit of netting hanging over.

Well done. I am looking forward to seeing your Sherman.

Regards,

Badder.