Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

- Italy: Italeri have produced some, though not many, Italian subjects. Don't think Revell Germany have yet produced a G-91 which their own Air Force operated. An earlier post of mine that an Airfix Fiat CR42 might appear as part of the Battle of Britain line-up was dismissed as unlikely.

Revell produced a new tool Fiat G.91, in German markings, in 1999

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/103039-revell-04370-fiat-g-91-r-3-gina

reissued in Portugese Tiger Meet markings in 2002

http://www.scalemates.com/kits/103828-revell-04635-g-91-tiger-meet

Based on current toolings

Canberra Mk2/6

Yes please to Canberra B.2/6 but please let it NOT be based on current toolings: in the cool light of day some of the early Hornby era Airfix offerings are embarrassingly bad now the novelty value of Airfix issuing anything new has dissipated.

Yes please to Canberra B.2/6 but please let it NOT be based on current toolings: in the cool light of day some of the early Hornby era Airfix offerings are embarrassingly bad now the novelty value of Airfix issuing anything new has dissipated.

The Canberra's are not up to current Airfix standards, but I would not call them embarrassingly bad either. There are simple things that can be done to make them look better, like filling in the spurious horizontal lines on the rudder. OTOH, the Bf 109G and MiG-15 are definitely bad and the differences are obvious if you put them next to better kits of those subjects like the Fine Molds Bf 109G's and the Eduard MiG-15s. The Airfix 1/72 Spit IX has a reasonably good shape but wide panel lines, no cockpit detail to speak of and is generally simplified everywhere. It was an improvement on the kit it replaced but will not fare well in comparison to the upcoming Eduard late Merlin Spits. The 1/72 Spit XIX is contemporary with the IX but is considerably better.The F-86 came out around the same time as the MiG and is a much better representation of the real aircraft than the MiG kit. The other ones that are real question marks for me are the Bf 110's (not comparable to the Eduard kits but much better than the kit they replaced) and the Sea Harriers (FRS.1 and FA.2). That the SHARs were disappointing is reflected in the fact that there is no common tooling between them and the later GR.1/GR.3 which are superb except for the GR.3 having the wrong fin.

Agree that the Canberras perhaps don't come into the embarrassingly bad category but they are way, way below Airfix's current standards.

The turkeys I had in mind are the MiG-15, Bf 109G, Sea Harriers and Hurricane IIc. A lot of the others are okay but in retrospect missed opportunities. The Eduard Bf 110s wipe the floor with the Airfix ones, especially since the Weekend Editions can be bought for less than the Airfix ones.

Still I suppose these early offerings provided Hornby with the revenue and market confidence to work up to the standards and release tempo they have now reached.

These are my guesses are... not necessarily what I would want although some of them I definitely would.

(no idea about how likely or imminent)

Phantom FG1/FGR2 1/72

Hunter F6/FGA9 1/72

Some sort of Venom 1/48 (darn, want 1/72)

Me262 1/72

Hellcat 1/72

Scimitar 1/48 (boo, want 1/72 too!)

Vampire 1/48

Wellington 1/72

Spitfire VIII/IX 1/48

Victor 1/72 (Biiiiiiiiiig maybe, actually I don't think likely but really want them to)

Merlin HMA2 1/48

Lynx Wildcat 1/48

Lightning II (or III!) F35B 1/72

Edited by Meatbox8

I think many 1/72 jet models need some updating, a lot of popular cold war/modern jets still rely on old and outdated kits, sometimes with a lot of aftermarket to bring them up. I think the 1/48 jet market has had a huge improvement over the last 5 or 6 years, so many new tools that on average are well done, us 1/72 jet guys need some attention now!

A few realistic options may be:

Agree on some T4/T5 Lightnings, think they would sell by the shedload.

A new 1/72 Sepecat Jaguar series

Mirage IIIE/V etc.. series, the PJ kits just look like diecast models with those panel lines imho.

Spey F-4 series

Unrealistic but what I wish would happen:

Saab Viggen series

Probably never would happen, but a cooperation with what is left of Heller to bring a new Mirage 2000 series, these I believe would fly off the shelves if they are done well.

F-111 series (yeah right :weep: )

I'm actually thinking of jumping up scales for some of these models as I have waited years now already for decent, readably available examples of these kits to come into fruition and it still has not happened and I do not think I'm alone on a few of them.

Much of the new 1/72 market to me ATM seems just always another slightly different version of some WWII plane that already has 10 toolings, 1000000 aftermarket conversions and 1000000000 decal options to make any version you need. I get why it is like that so far but I think some of the suggestions I listed could, if done right, be very profitable. Mainly, as from what I see there is a strong demand and the competition is either very hard to find, rubbish or a combination of both.

Sorry for the semi-rant :whistle: but could you honestly say you wouldn't buy a well done new tool Viggen kitted out with the great new Airfix decals? Sure a Hasegawa new tool would probably be the man-vegetables but at what price?

Edited by mirageiv

Most of the suggestions made appear possibly "realistic", timescales would be harder to predict. For instance if Airfix announced Hellcat, Me262 and Hunter in the near future then I wouldn't be surprised but I can't say yes Airfix will definitely do it.

Wellington has been mentioned a lot and I kinda agree it does seem to be a model that could be announced in the short term.

1/72 Yak-9!!!

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, I'd expect, in no particular order, and all 1/72:

Metal-winged Hurricane

Spitfire Mk XIV

Spey Phantom

P-47

Fairey Battle

Eventually a Hampden and a Whirlwind fighter; maybe a FW-190D-9.

John

Please, Airfix, just give us a new tool Spitfire F.XIV with alternate gun blisters for C or E wing and an alternate low back fuselage for the later version. And please, full span? Clipped should be a cut off option, not add full span tips.

That's all I really want, but a DH Hornet F3 or two stage Merlin Mosquito would be just fantastic!

• Like 2

Please, Airfix, just give us a new tool Spitfire F.XIV with alternate gun blisters for C or E wing and an alternate low back fuselage for the later version. And please, full span? Clipped should be a cut off option, not add full span tips.

That's all I really want, but a DH Hornet F3 or two stage Merlin Mosquito would be just fantastic!

You don't say which scale!

Good luck with the Hornet: do you know where they can obtain reliable engineering drawings?

All in the true 1:72 scale of course:

Bristol Beaufort

Yakovlev Yak-9

Curtiss P-40F

Hawker Hurricane II A/B

Bell P-39Q Airacobra

My god, they are all Allied subjects, and except the Beaufort have all been previously produced by Airfix.

What no Seafire ? :coolio:

As to new releases all 72nd

Alternative boxings of the new range:-

(We already have He-111 H and Kate B5N1)

Grumman Martlet

Beaufighter TFX with Radar and Fin fillet

Whitley MPA

Shackleton AEW2

Sea King HAR3 (Wish they would do a proper RN pinger, but expact RAF one)

New Kits:-

Phantom FG1/FGR2

Buccaneer (complement to Phantom in both FAA/RAF service, although they may be tempted to go with 48th first to replace ruined tool)

Skua (maybe using data from Norway )

Ju-88A (complete BoB range using data from Norway as per He-111)

Victor/Vulcan - Complete V-Force, may redo Vulcan first due to retirement of 558

Possible RAF cold war ground set or maybe even V-force support set

Well, my list is partly wish and partly real possibilities. Here we go (all in 1/48th):

Near
- Hurricane Mk II
- Spitfire Mk XIV

- Spitfire Mk XVIII
- Spitfire F.Mk 21
- DH Chipmunk
- Bristol Blenheim family

Intermediate
- DH Vampire family
- Supermarine Scimitar
- Hawker Hunter family
- Gloster Meteor Family
- Hawker Fury/Demon
- Shorts Tucano

Far
- Blackburn Firebrand TF.5
- Blackburn Buccaneer
- HP Hampden
- Fairey Battle
- Hawker Tempest Mk V

Edited by FranciscoPRG

Good luck with the Hornet: do you know where they can obtain reliable engineering drawings?

Not liking the sound of that as it's on my wishlist. Does that mean no DH Hornet kits have ever been produced and it's because of no drawings? Or can it be produced and Airfix doesn't want to make one as it wouldn't be accurate?

Not liking the sound of that as it's on my wishlist. Does that mean no DH Hornet kits have ever been produced and it's because of no drawings? Or can it be produced and Airfix doesn't want to make one as it wouldn't be accurate?

There were Hornets in 1/48 by Classic Airframes and now by Trumpeter. If I am not wrong, in 72th there was the old Frog and some eastern Europe producer.

All this without measuring an original, since there was none left.

Edited by FranciscoPRG
  • Like 1

A decent Fairy Firefly to replace the old, and from what i've seen expensive, tooling in 1/72 or 1/48 would be good. 1/72 Hampden would be nice too, although i don't know if there are any whole airframes in existance to "copy"?? 1/72 Lysander needs to be done, and maybe a Westerland Whirlwind in 1/72. Beaufighter with Merlin engines is a real possibility in 1/72 or some of the early Mustang family...

There were Hornets in 1/48 by Classic Airframes and now by Trumpeter. If I am not wrong, in 72th there was the old Frog and some eastern Europe producer.

All this without measuring an original, since there was none left.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was starting to think of your latter statement - production of a kit without the original or reliable drawings. I'll take a look at the 1/48 kits mentioned.

• Like 1

I have full 3D reference data for a DH Hornet, and many large original parts to scan too.

The best of the kit released so far is the Classic Airframes one, but this still contains a few errors. 7mm too short and the u/c out of position by a similar amount.

• Like 1

Right....five pages of speculation and everyone's wish list. Not a single mention of the JP3/3a.

Does that mean that Britmodeller is NOT the centre of the modelling universe after all??

i'll get me coat....

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1