Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

3 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

At the risk of thread drift, what's wrong with the Academy Allison Mustang? Having built the Italeri I can attest to the wing root error, but I've heard nothing bad about the Academy...

Yeah, bad choice of words. It isn't poor like the awful Italeri kit, but it is a bit basic comapred to what could be done in 2017- flaps, opening canopy etc would be nice. Still, good buildable kit.

I don't think it has yet been mentioned (though could be wrong):

- Further variants on the 1/24 Mosquito.  I understand it has been designed to allow for this, so by definition a realistic future release.

- Don't think anybody has yet mentioned up/down scaling existing subjects.  Apparently not as easy as it sounds and of course, always subject to software compatability.  Don't see any of the earlier subjects such as Sea Venom, Seafire XVll as likely: more so Meteor 8 and Sea Fury.

3 hours ago, Denford said:

Don't think anybody has yet mentioned up/down scaling existing subjects.  Apparently not as easy as it sounds and of course, always subject to software compatability.  Don't see any of the earlier subjects such as Sea Venom, Seafire XVll as likely: more so Meteor 8 and Sea Fury.

The current set of designers have scaled up or down a couple of subjects...Typhoon (1/72 then 1/24), Defiant (1/48 then 1/72, or other way around?), and there may be another I'm missing. They said they did this with the Typhoon to see what the art of the possible was in 1/72 while working on the 1/24th kit. They also said the only cost savings is in basic research as scaling the CAD is not straightforward and requires a bit of adjustments to achieve the same quality as other subjects in that scale. My own limited experience with CAD bears this out in that by entire I'd adjusted the larger scale drawings to my preferred smaller (less details) scale I could have taken the measurements and started with a blank file. 

Point is they can do it, could double their Catalog as a result, and save a bit on research costs, but that's about the limit of savings.  Market research would tell them if revenues will justify the total cost to rescale a subject. Do they offer subjects in 1/48th that I'd like in 1/72nd?  Yes!

Back OT, it appears to me they want to complete the early WWII set of aircraft soon, 1939-1942. Not much is missing now...Ju-88, Battle, Beaufort. Yes, a Spitfire Vb/c and tin wing Hurricane I need to be done, but only us enthusiasts will know the differences to the other variants. 

Regarding the Ju-88...they have done subjects that are not necessarily the mainstream ones in the past (ragwing Hurri, late B-17G) so it's possible they'd choose the Ju-88A-1 for a BoB subject and let Revell or Hasegawa have the later variants. Or design it for later variants a la Blenheim.

So my money is on a Ju-88A-1 soon. 

When the Airfix team measured up the He 111P at Oslo-Gardermoen, rumors say that they did another aircraft at the same time.
There is a fairly complete Ju 88A-1 under restoration there, as well as complete Ju 52/3m - and BE2e/f 

Would new toolings of the Harrier GR5/GR7/T10 qualify as "realistic" future releases.  Existing kits are good but somewhat dated by now and, the T10 is only available for really silly money IF you can find one.:lol:. Oh yes, Surely a Harrier T2/T4 to go with their tin winged Harriers is feasible (cue shouts of "What about the Sword kits?"). Well, to quote a tired old cliché - "They don't make money for Airfix!":P. More importantly, being limited run they also come with limited availability.

Allan

ps - how about a Merlin engine Beaufighter? Shouldn't be too difficult to update the existing kit with the required parts.

pps - some follow on versions of the nice little Skyhawk kit would be nice too

Edited by Albeback52

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, invidia said:

A retool hms iron duke. 

I can't imagine that's a priority. Is there any demand now for those 1/600 ship kits? I'm assuming they'll all be allowed to just fade away, as must happen eventually with the 1/76 vehicles. The end of a very long era. 

I hope I'm wrong.  

5 minutes ago, IanC said:

I can't imagine that's a priority. Is there any demand now for those 1/600 ship kits? I'm assuming they'll all be allowed to just fade away, as must happen eventually with the 1/76 vehicles. The end of a very long era. 

I hope I'm wrong.  

I agree, it would be nice to have some retooled ships, same with the 1/76 kits. 

I surpose for some of us its the nostalgia, growing up with these kits.

10 hours ago, dalea said:

How about a Catalina? Time for an accurate one.

Good call.  The old kit has always been a staple and a ubiquitous type.  Do the Academy kits have accuracy issues then?

I may be wrong, but I don't think Airfix have ever scaled down a 1:48th new tool release to 1:72. Several scales up (Gnat, Defiant, Spitfire I , P-51). I'm increasingly gloomy about the prospects of a 1:72nd Sea Vixen, Sea Fury, Walrus, Javelin, Meteor F8 etc for this reason.

All the folks wishing for mutliple-variant kit families may be a bit optimistic, too. The only basic tooling I can think of which has served two or more markedly different versions of the same aircraft is the 1:72nd Blenheim. I can't foresee Wellington IIs, Tiger-engined Whitleys, Shackleton MR3s, Victor B1s (more's the pity) and Lightning F1s coming along any time soon.

My likely future releases would be

(1:72)

Lysander

Hudson

Whirlwind (fighter)

F4U1 Corsair

P-47D

Ki-43

Hunter F6

Vulcan B2

Victor K2 (this has to be a dead cert, I'd have thought)

(1:48)

FW190A

Beaufighter

Firefly (to continue the slightly obscure FAA 1:48 theme)

Jet Provost

9 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think Airfix have ever scaled down a 1:48th new tool release to 1:72. Several scales up (Gnat, Defiant, Spitfire I , P-51). I'm increasingly gloomy about the prospects of a 1:72nd Sea Vixen, Sea Fury, Walrus, Javelin, Meteor F8 etc for this reason.

All the folks wishing for mutliple-variant kit families may be a bit optimistic, too. The only basic tooling I can think of which has served two or more markedly different versions of the same aircraft is the 1:72nd Blenheim. I can't foresee Wellington IIs, Tiger-engined Whitleys, Shackleton MR3s, Victor B1s (more's the pity) and Lightning F1s coming along any time soon.

My likely future releases would be

(1:72)

Lysander

Hudson

Whirlwind (fighter)

F4U1 Corsair

P-47D

Ki-43

Hunter F6

Vulcan B2

Victor K2 (this has to be a dead cert, I'd have thought)

(1:48)

FW190A

Beaufighter

Firefly (to continue the slightly obscure FAA 1:48 theme)

Jet Provost

There's the Beaufighter as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another version, maybe IF or VIF nightfighter.  I would imagine the Beau is a popular subject that would justify the relatively simple additional tooling.  After all, there are, or there will be, four versions of the Blenheim soon.    Agree with you with the scaling down/up thing.  I think they've all been from 1/72 to 1/48th.  As I'm currently building the MPM Sea Vixen I can not stress enough the need for a state of the art kit in 1/72!

7 minutes ago, dalea said:

Too right the Academy Catalinas have accuracy issues

That's a pity.  They did quite an extensive amount of releases of different versions if I remember correctly.  For Airfix it would be up there with the Hudson and Lysander  i.e. good WW2 staples.  Also the type would be internationally popular I would have thought.  There are some very nice looking DK Decals sheets available. 

19 hours ago, sniperUK said:

The Harrier GR7/9 was only tooled in 2011 so no reason unless a T.10 fuselage .

I forgot all about that one!! my mistake!:lol:. Agree about the T10 though

Allan

I'd be surprised if we didn't see a new 1/72 Lysander before too long. There's a few knocking around, including a flying example at the Shuttleworth Collection, there's a variety of users and colour schemes and has the "spy" association, which would make it popular with younger modellers. I know I built five of them as a kid! Plus they could release the Mk I/III and Mk II versions with not a huge amount of extra work.

I have to admit, I'm puzzled by the lack of metal-winged Hurricane Mk I in 1/72 and I'd really like to see them release one, but I think they need to address the canopy issue that lets down the fabric-winged version. It really does spoil the look of an otherwise nice kit and IMHO, there aren't any decent kits of the  metal-winged Mk I. It's not like it's an obscure aircraft!

Cheers,

Mark.

2 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

two or more markedly different version

The Beau already mentioned, and the Lancaster II. Possibly the ski equipped Gladiator (J-8). All are really just drop fit replacement bits, so could include Fortress III, C-47, He-111 and others in that group. That's just memory as my stash is not close. 

A 1/72 Val would close out early IJN subjects. Coupled with a new SBD, TBD and TBF we'd have the naval theater of the first half in the Pacific. The SBD and TBF having many marking options. 

My choices, all in 1/72nd scale:-

Venom / Sea Venom

Anson C.19

Meteor NF. 11 - 14

Valetta

Twin Pioneer

Whirlwind Helicopter ( All Marks )

Javelin family

Lightning Trainer versions

Hornet

Canberra

Wessex HAS.1 / HC.2

Beverley

Varsity

Steve.

• Like 3

A new Lizzie would be nice - thought I seem to remember the old one being rather good if of its time - IIRC there was a small 'agent' figure with a suitcase included, though my memory wasnt what it was! 

The Junkers is a good shout - that would complete their 'standard' Luftwaffe bomber lineup - perhaps with a Luftwaffe Ground Set? The RAF and USAAF sets seem to have done well - though I think the latter is very stingy compared to the former which had maintenance towers, chocks etc four vehicles, a bowser, bomb trollies - compared with a tractor/trailer, bomb truck, one bomb trailer and a tiny trike. I've built both and they come together nicely.

A la B-17 they could release the Junkers first, then combine it with the set. Then perhaps a Ju-52/with floats/with degaussing ring?

I think the major candidate must be a Battle though...maybe a Hampden when the RAFM have finished theirs?

I agree some interwar bipes would be nice though Amodel seem to have that covered -  I have their Hart and its pretty good, plus they do the whole family now I think....

I cant see them doing many more AFV's - I think they may have ended up with a lot of King Tigers and Cromwells left over and the QL's seemed a bit half-hearted as they did them in 1/76. Airborne Jeep has SAS options but not mentioned in the instructions too...

TT

28 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I agree some interwar bipes would be nice though Amodel seem to have that covered -  I have their Hart and its pretty good, plus they do the whole family now I think....

Except, for some inexplicable reason that still makes  me very irritated, the Demon.

EDIT: It seems that AZ sneaked a Demon past me back in 2011. I still reckon Airfix could do a better job though.

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

All those, but we need a decent Battle first! :-)

In terms of downscaling from 1/48th, the only ones I can think of are the Canberras, and they were under the 'old' management, and didn't give us the 'complete set'

I know.  They chose not to downscale what must be the most popular mark, the B.2.  Let's hope S & M's release fills the void favourably. 

All 1/72.

Phantom FGR.2 must be on the cards at some time.

Hampden and Battle are obvious candidates for replacement of the 'current' mounds. There are examples of both, with the Hampden being worked on at the moment at the RAFM's conservation centre. 

Dont know know how the JP is broken down but is a JP5/Strikemaster a possibility?

Finally, a 1/72 two-stage Merlin Mosquito. I absolutely hated the last FB.6 I built during the French Fancy group build. Lousy warped undercarriage, horrid plastic and generally  'mare to push over the finishing line.

Trevor