Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

48 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

And it would be no surprise that the recently announced Special Hobby Mosquitos will be released at the same time Airfix' release theirs ....

I don't think quite so. 

The SH Mosquitos are, I believe, due for release around the end of the year.

Airfix won't be announcing anything new ie for 2018 till around Oct - Nov.

3 hours ago, HMSLion said:

I'm still holding out for a 1/48th Spitfire XIV.  And a 1/350th or 1/700 R-class Zeppelin.  A 1/72 Scimitar, Sea Vixen, or Javelin would not be unwelcome.

You'll be very lucky to get any of these.

Airfix have been 'dismissive' of more Spitfires in any scale.

Zeppelins.  No hope: quite outside their preferred subjects (WWll and early Cold War) and definitely not their scale.

Sea Vixen and/or Javelin are just possible if their 1/48 toolings (have) sold really well.  Scimitar, if ever, as a 'follow on' and most unlikely.

As a new member you may not know of the postings about this earlier in the year.

And remember: Airfix / Hornby Hobbies desperately need to make money.  So solid sellers, rather than personal preferences.

If I am Airfix and looking to add some perennial sellers to the range then, taking a cue from the P-51D and ME 262a being added this year, the following are likely:

1/48 Bf 109G

1/48 Fw 190A-8

1/72 Typhoon FGR.4

1/72 P-47D

1/72 Lockheed-Martin F-35B

• Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 1:46 PM, Denford said:

And remember: Airfix / Hornby Hobbies desperately need to make money.  So solid sellers, rather than personal preferences.

It seems logical to me for them to be ahead of the "rush" of other manufacturers and put out a good F-35b Lightning II in RN/RAF markings.

1:48th, obviously.

Edited by hairystick
b added!

If what has been said about Airfix 1/24 scale kits in that they generate a lot of revenue l would not be surprised if another one is announced sooner than later. I would prefer a jet fighter of some sort but most probably a WWII plane. A P-38 would be a popular and is not much bigger than a Mosquito.

1 hour ago, hairystick said:

It seems logical to me for them to be ahead of the "rush" of other manufacturers and put out a good F-35b Lightning II in RN/RAF markings.

1:48th, obviously.

Airfix would only even consider it as a subject if they are allowed to 'measure it' (and there have been suggestions that LIDAR wouldn't work with radar absorbent surfaces) and generally climb all over it, look inside it etc.

I don't think they would be allowed to do this.

there have been suggestions that LIDAR wouldn't work with radar absorbent surfaces

LIDAR not working on the F-35 would mean the thing absorbed visible light waves, As we can all see how ugly the thing is I'd suggest that LIDAR can also see it, but why it would want to.......

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Denford said:

Airfix would only even consider it as a subject if they are allowed to 'measure it' (and there have been suggestions that LIDAR wouldn't work with radar absorbent surfaces) and generally climb all over it, look inside it etc.

I don't think they would be allowed to do this.

That is simply not true and the Whitley and Do17 are cases in point. Airfix will use LIDAR to measure a subject where possible, but they will resort to good plans, manufacturer's drawings etc., if that's what they've got for a chosen subject.

Regards, Jeff

8 minutes ago, Jeff Wilson said:

That is simply not true and the Whitley and Do17 are cases in point. Airfix will use LIDAR to measure a subject where possible, but they will resort to good plans, manufacturer's drawings etc., if that's what they've got for a chosen subject.

Regards, Jeff

Quite right, LIDAR is just one of a number of tools they use to get the data they require.

Guessing in 1:72:

Sopwith Camel - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Avro 504K - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Bristol Fighter - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Albatros DV - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Fokker Triplan - must be some reasonably reliable drawings available - one of the most iconic WW1 aircraft

BE2e - full size aircraft available to measure up, can use BE2c mold for some parts

Westland Lysander special agent duties - full size aircraft to measure up during restoration at Cosford

T-6 / Harvard - plenty of originals available to measure up, can be released in multiple versions and colour schemes - Airfix has done other RAF training aircraft lately

Boeing B-29 Washington - since they have done the V-bombers, original at Duxford to measure up when it was out of the building.

Junkers Ju 52m/3 - available for measuring up in Norway, comes with a stick of paratroopers

Blackburn Skua/Roc - partially available for measuring up in Norway

Heinkel He 115 - available for measuring up in Norway

Supermarine Walrus - scaling down from 1:48

Hawker Sea Fury - scaling down from 1:48

Edited by LN-KEH
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

^^^ They would as an alternative accept official plans.

But F-35's are dull and boring

I think it very, very unlikely that Lockheed Martin (I think they are the builders) would release plans into the public domain.

Not too high on my personal list - but a 1:48 Me 262 might be a good seller. Hobby Boss and Tamiya have rather nice kits but both have the automatic flaps fixed in flight position - and they do not make any money for Airfix. Thanks to 1:72 kit they have the data already and as can be seen at Hobby Boss - many options are possible.

I certainly hope more for a Spey Phantom, Vampire, Venom, Scimitar, Hornet/Sea Hornet, Gannet or Hunter in that scale (plus of course the unlikely Tiger Moth, Blenheim, Hampden, DH 88 Comet,...)

Would be time for a new chopper btw. Sea King maybe???

3 hours ago, Jeff Wilson said:

Regards, Jeff

There is a whole Whitley fuselage and 'other data'.

Do17: this was some years ago, and Airfix have 'hardened' their selection criteria since then.  From the lips of Simon Owen, Senior Researcher: if there isn't an extant example that we can LIDAR (or otherwise accurately measure), or manufacturers' engineering drawings (my italics) we won't do it.  Engineering drawings: those produced by the manufacturer to produce the parts, supported by assembly drawings showing dimensions etc between them.  Dye line prints, until the advent of computer produced drawings. 

One exception!  I understand that Westland were outstandingly co-oprative in supplying computer design data in relation to..... Sea King?

Edited by Denford
Spelling mistake !

14 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Would be time for a new chopper btw. Sea King maybe???

A 1/48 Sea King would be good and would definitely come home to roost in my stash.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

Guessing in 1:72:

Sopwith Camel - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Avro 504K - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Bristol Fighter - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Albatros DV - Airfix old mold outdated and there are drawings and full size aircraft to measure.

Fokker Triplan - must be some reasonably reliable drawings available - one of the most iconic WW1 aircraft

BE2e - full size aircraft available to measure up, can use BE2c mold for some parts

Westland Lysander special agent duties - full size aircraft to measure up during restoration at Cosford

T-6 / Harvard - plenty of originals available to measure up, can be released in multiple versions and colour schemes - Airfix has done other RAF training aircraft lately

Boeing B-29 Washington - since they have done the V-bombers, original at Duxford to measure up when it was out of the building.

Junkers Ju 52m/3 - available for measuring up in Norway, comes with a stick of paratroopers

Blackburn Skua/Roc - partially available for measuring up in Norway

Heinkel He 115 - available for measuring up in Norway

Supermarine Walrus - scaling down from 1:48

Hawker Sea Fury - scaling down from 1:48

Like this, really like this because you've given the sources of verifiable information.  Wish all such posts did the same!

3 hours ago, Denford said:

[...]

I would like to bring some thoughts to the table.

Firstly, you mentioned, that Airfix is rather preparing a double versions, than multiple. I think it may a bit to early to be sure about, maybe kits have possibility to more versions being made (even or tooled, if half job is done with CADs), bu Airfix simply takes time.

Other thing, which bothers me, is that earlier Airfix keep some older tools afloat, when retooling worn out old ones. But now looks like all older tools are out of range, I wonder if that means younger tools also have the same chance to be retooled.

Anyway, those for now are my types to be retooled in 1/72 scale. I mean I don't dare to try predict absolutely new planes.

Most probable:

Vickers Wellington B.III

Sopwith Camel

Short Sunderland

Supermarine Walrus Mk.II

Messerschmitt Me 109F

Middle group

Bristol Fighter F2B

Supermarine S.6B

Westland S.55 (Scout)

Vought Corsair

Blackburn NA.39 Buccaneer

And those still probable

Albatros D.V

Armstrong Whitworth Seahawk

R.E.8

Republic P-47 Thunderbolt (razorback)

Consolidated  Catalina

Fairey Battle

I guess about 1 or 2 from list about appears, except that I think for example Meteor may be downscaled, British box of Mitchell appears, together with double seat Me-262 nightfighter.

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Leamy said:

First 2018 announcement is due tomorrow, according to their facebook page!

I'm not a betting man but my money is on a1:48 Meteor FR9. We all know it's coming sometime as the camera windows were on the clear sprue that came with the F8