Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

1 hour ago, Booty003 said:

I would love to see the current A-4B Skyhawk tweaked up for an E/F model.  The Fujimi kit can go for silly money on fleabay.  The AM decal guys could go crazy as well.....!!

Phil

C/L and Singaporean versions would be most welcome as well.

Jay

On 10/06/2017 at 10:47 AM, Albeback52 said:

1)Nothing in 1/24 scale

Allan

I hope that there is!

This is a product pretty much unique to Airfix with a classic lineage.

Personally I would like to see something post-war now, my favourite would be a re-visit of the Harrier GR.3 in modern tooling, but I doubt that would happen.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 16:44, boom175 said:

A modern tool 1/48th Hunter preferably a single seater please!

If they were careful about the tooling they could do F.1/4, F.6, FGA.9 and T.7 plus all of the export versions based on these, do the same in 1/72nd they'd be onto a winner!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, 71chally said:

While Academy and Italeri releases of a 48th Hunter kit exist (even with the known issues),  I can't see Airfix doing one.

I wouldn't see that as anything they would take into account, but equally I don't see them doing one any time soon

5 minutes ago, 71chally said:

While Academy and Italeri releases of a 48th Hunter kit exist (even with the known issues),  I can't see Airfix doing one.

Chatting to one of the Airfix designers he said that wasn't a consideration, if a subject was covered by somebody else and they felt they could do better, they would.

Mind you, this was sometime ago before the current financial shenanigans so it may not be the case now - which would be a shame.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wez said:

If they were careful about the tooling they could do For.1/4, F.6, FGA.9 and T.7 plus all of the export versions based on these, do the same in 1/72nd they'd be onto a winner!

True, but Airfix haven't (yet) entered 'multiple toolings' for want of a better phrase.  The Spitfire line stopped long ago, and there's still no Mustang earlier than 'D', no slatted wing F-86 and maybe a few others too.  Swordfish with metal skinned wing, tin wing Hurricane still not tooled.

More likely they would produce perhaps two variants of the basic design and leave the way open to the likes of Alley Cat for other variants.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denford said:

True, but Airfix haven't (yet) entered 'multiple toolings' for want of a better phrase.  The Spitfire line stopped long ago, and there's still no Mustang earlier than 'D', no slatted wing F-86 and maybe a few others too.  Swordfish with metal skinned wing, tin wing Hurricane still not tooled.

More likely they would produce perhaps two variants of the basic design and leave the way open to the likes of Alley Cat for other variants.

I agree with you on Airfix's current stand...   ...but then just look at what they've done with the B-17, maybe there's a change in tack (I live in hope)?

Regarding the Hunter, two seaters notwithstanding, having separate wing leading edges and tailpipes for the single seater versions is not beyond the whit of man.

• Like 3

It would be great to see a new Hunter kit, engineered in such a way that multiple variants can be produced.

Differing tail ends, cockpits for single and two seaters, and even different leading edges should be possible.  I think the biggest hurdle for the small to big engined Hunters would be the centre section, I guess that the two could be offered though

Re the 24th scale stuff, and my longing to see a jet, the F-86 Sabre would be a great candidate?  Worldwide appeal, and the right size for the scale.

I've often wondered about how much money they've made from the 1/24 range. The original Spitfire and Hurricane must have been a great cash cow over the years, but how are the Typhoon and Mosquito doing? The cost and physical size prohibits most of us getting more that one (well sensibly that is!), compared to 1/72, but I hope their profit margins would be greater per kit sold. I'd personally love to see a 1/24 bf 110 or Ju 88. Both are around the size of the Mosquito, with available ones to survey in the UK or in Norway, and if broken down cleverly could form the basis covering many of the versions made a la Hasegawa Ju88 or Eduard bf110.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

I hope that there is!

This is a product pretty much unique to Airfix with a classic lineage.

Personally I would like to see something post-war now, my favourite would be a re-visit of the Harrier GR.3 in modern tooling, but I doubt that would happen.

That would be a nice choice but, personally I would rather see it at half the scale and one quarter the price!! Then I could buy lots!!:D

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

17 hours ago, Denford said:

Thinking about this, these would be easy wins for Airfix, most of the tooling is after all done (although realistically earlier models of the Mustang would require completely new moulds).

Another to add to your list would be a Spitfire Vc in 1/48th...

I'd like to see 1/72 scale down versions of their Sea Vixen, Javelin and BAC Lightning F1 !

Regrding new tooled kits (all 1/72):

Avro Vulcan B1

Vickers Wellington (all versions)

Short Stirling

RAF Cold War Bomber set (with Blue Danube and Yellow Sun nukes on trailers and other vehicles)

RAF Thor Missile

RAF Blue Streak Missile

RAF Bloodhound Mk2 Missile

Chieftain tank

HMS Dreadnought first UK nuclear sub (in 1/350th scale of course)

• Like 1

1:48 Queen Mary Trailer and Bedford (or Fordson) tractor unit.

1:48 Scout AH1

Vickers Warwick

HP Hastings

1:24 Gloster Gladiator

1:48 dh88 Comet

1:72 Sopwith Camel

1:72 Albatros DV These last two replacing the ancient offerings and commemorating the centenary of the end of WW1

1:24 JCB 3 (give the HGV modellers a load)

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:25 PM, Roman Schilhart said:

There have been repeated whispers about a new 1/72 Ju-88 (A4?) ...

Well its the only mainstream aircraft from the Battle of Britain that they haven't retooled so one should really be on their to do list at some stage.

7 minutes ago, Geoff_B said:

Well its the only mainstream aircraft from the Battle of Britain that they haven't retooled so one should really be on their to do list at some stage.

Except that the A-4 isn't from the BoB period, but an A-1 is, provide it with alternative wingtips and ailerons appropriate to the longer span A-5 which was used later in the BoB and you could also bring out Eastern Front and Mediterranean/Desert Front boxing's. Heaven knows, you could even do the nightfighter C2/4.

Plenty of options there if you use your imagination!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

The same as every year, 1/48 Buccaneer 

Tricky one that, Tanmodel are promising us one in 1/48th, the CAD's look very encouraging with a lot of detail. Now if that translates to the real kit, Airfix would be expected to produce as good, if not better for a lower priced kit, which may prove difficult.

That said, we've not seen the Tanmodel kit yet, it might be horribly misshapen (though my expectation is otherwise, it's gestation has been long and they appear to be taking care and listening to criticism and advice). 

That's the business model Airfix would be up against.

I keep saying - maybe someday someone will listen.

1/24 Me 262 (with a side of Me 163)

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeee. I've been good...ish

Dear Mr. Airfix

There are plenty of aeroplanes out there that could be either re-issued or re-tooled but what about a BRAND NEW 

RAF EMERGENCY vehicles kit with 

An Albion Ambulance that served throughout the war and even went to Dunkirk plus . . . 

Fordson crash tender vehicle that not only served the RAF but also the USAAF

Both types are preserved so if you could get your 'Radar' thingy working we would be laughing

Not much to ask for surely and just think of the conversion potential . . .:idea:

yours sincerely

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Except that the A-4 isn't from the BoB period, but an A-1 is, provide it with alternative wingtips and ailerons appropriate to the longer span A-5 which was used later in the BoB and you could also bring out Eastern Front and Mediterranean/Desert Front boxing's. Heaven knows, you could even do the nightfighter C2/4.

Plenty of options there if you use your imagination!

I never said an A4 variant, I would have hoped for the A1 as its not been done by others and is the definitive BoB version ;)

• Like 1

They could possibly get on board the soon to be released 'Dunkirk' movie and be the supplier of some official merchandise. I take it that the movie would have to start with the end of the 'Battle of France' so we could see new tooled Battles, Lysanders, Tin Wing Hurricanes and whatever else flew in the skies during May - June 1940. Most of which is already in their catalogue so it's just a case of adding appropriate decals.... I suppose we better add some blunt nose frenchie types as well!! 

Cheers.. Dave