Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

We need workbench announcements every week ...

Just kidding ^^, Airfix is doing great.

My personal wish list (all variants of existing 1/72 kits):

- Tin Wing Hurricane Mk.I

- Avro York

- Mustang P-51 B/C

- Spitfire Mk.V a, b and c wing

- Sea Gladiator

- Defiant Mk.II and TT

- Car door Typhoon

- Swordfish Mk.II and III

I am wondering why Airfix did not do them (some of these at least) yet ...

Ii's obvious I am addicted to completeness ...

Is there a decent MiG-17 in any scale? Examples of the real thing are not hard to find. And the marking choices!

Yes.

In 1/48th, the SMER kit is decent, but old, can be got cheap,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234974798-mig-17f-and-pf-fresco-june-1967-and-war-of-attrition-1967-1973-double-build-sa-2-guildeline-sam148/page-1

the newer kit is is the Hobby Boss.

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=3764

which can also be got cheap.

Various aftermarket decals can be got.

Note, in the 90's Airfix did rebox the SMER kit

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/136111-airfix-05103-mig-17f

Oh, 1/48. I admit the Hobby Boss escaped my attention. I couldn't remember one since the Hobbycraft. Anyway, still an opportunity in 1/72, but please not just the PF, remember Hase boxing it as a NVAF mig without any changes? . (I had the Dragon/Italeri, not very impressed)

My thoughts and wishes are as follows.

1/72 DH Dove or Sea Devon

1/72 Vought O3U-3 Corsair II

1/24 DH82 Tigermoth - surely this could be quite a realistic superkit for Airfix (please, please, please !!!), I think this would be a good seller for them too.

1/24 Westland Whirlwind Fighter (now they have done the Mossie, you never know !!!)

Any of the above would be most appreciated

All the best
Chris

• Like 1

Seconding ClaudioN on the Blenhiem V (Bisley);

Seconding several gentlemen on a Beaufort;

Seconding Occa on an AVRO York, including decals for Viceroy Mountbatten's plane;

Seconding 2Wheels on an AVRO Anson, maybe in both 1/72 and 1/48;

Not seconding new moulds of the Val or Claude in 1/72, but am not necessarily opposed as to 1/48;

Two very significant airliners, the Short Empire flying boat in 1/72 (foiling the ridiculously priced Czech resin version with stove-in fuselage panels) and the DeHavilland Comet in 1/72 or 1/200 scale;

A good Ilyushin Il-10 and maybe a good Ilyushin DB-3. Maybe these are in the cryogenic category;

A series of all of the James Bond Aston Martins, probably in 1/24. Each to include appropriate James Bond and villain figures;

Some ordinary cars of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s which have not been done well by Japanese makers, such as the 1959 Jaguar Saloon, 1961 Mercedes Benz 190 saloon, Rover P5 saloon, etc. Probably high risk as to sales figures.

Edited by Tom Hall

It's a pity the U-2B/C/D hasn't been reissued as it highly regarded despite it's age plus theres little competition and may not be enough sales potential for a rival to go head-to-head. Obviously this would depend on condition of the moulds but it would be welcomed and put off other firms in the couple of years it would take for Airfix to make a new one.

...but please Mr Airfix if you rebox old moulds note on the box that's it's a 'Heritage/Classic' to avoid the disappointment (and anger) when unpacking reveals a 30year old kit.

Edited by dpm1did1

Occa, they already do a 72nd Va - the parts for it are all in the mk I/IIa kit, although you'll need to research your own markings.

I know Wooksta!, I thought they would make an own boxing with fitting decals.

But you're right , it should not be difficult to get markings for it together.

Now while we're just at variants:

- Early Whitleys with the radial engine, the rezractable belly turret and also with the shorter fuselage

Cheers

If Airfix wanted to do more overseas aircraft then they could concentrate on types which have been based in the UK, F4, F15, U2, F5, A10 Etc.

I suspect that's would they'll do, it hasn't escaped my notice their Skyhawk allowed for an Argentine version - Falklands therefore a British connection.

1/72 Beaufighter! . . . Oops, sorry: reflex!

Another vote for Tin-wing Hurricane I. Also in 1/72:

Mosquito - with twin-stage engines!

De Havilland Hornet!

Buccaneer!

Hunter!

Tempest!

Lysander!

One of the things that can be done is to work on kits they have the moulds for already. For example,

Beaufighter family

Canberra family (B Mk.2, T.4, B(I)Mk.6, B Mk.20)

Lancaster Tallboy/Grand Slam

Lancaster ASR (WW11/Post war)

Whitley Coastal Command (I believe this may be out in 2016?)

Defiant ASR

Defiant TT Mk.1/Mk.11

AC-47 Spooky/EC-47 (Long nose)

Sea Gladiator (Faith, Hope & Charity)

Swordfish Mk.11 Rockets

Swordfish Mk.111 (RADAR)

Hurricane Mk.11D (40mm cannon)

Hurricane Mk.IV (Rockets)

This is just a few I can think of.

Mark

As for UK company perhaps some of still missed of WWII British minor types:

Avro Manchester, Avro York, Blackburn Botha, DH Flamingo, DH Albatros, DH Dragon, DH Dragonfly, Saro Lerwick, Vickers Warwick, Vickers Valentia - for the begining...

All in 1/72 :)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

A very significant aircraft of which there has been no full kit in 1/48 is the RF-8A/G Photo Crusader. I'd love to see Airfix take that on.

I fully agree about the subject but in the 1/72 scale. And maybe we would hope that Academy take up that glove. They have already made an nice Crusader...

//André

Occa, they already do a 72nd Va - the parts for it are all in the mk I/IIa kit, although you'll need to research your own markings.

Dosn´t we all wait for that variant with Douglas Bader markings?

And doesn´t Airfix already have an rather nice P-51 B/C Mustang mould somewhere? And where are those missing moulds today concerning the Skyraider (old but not bad either), Hellcat, Brewster Buffalo, Devastator, Dauntless, Duck,.. ...and the F-4 Phantom...

They came upp with an new Wildcat and a Kitiyhawk. Can we expect an new Skyraider in RN markings in the future?

Would we expect an RN F-4 Phantom. And what about an Scimitar?

//André

Edited by Andre B

As for UK company perhaps some of still missed of WWII British minor types:

Avro Manchester, Avro York, Blackburn Botha, DH Flamingo, DH Albatros, DH Dragon, DH Dragonfly, Saro Lerwick, Vickers Warwick, Vickers Valentia - for the begining...

All in 1/72 :)

Cheers

J-W

You can get a Manchester conversion from us in a couple of weeks. We are looking at doing a resin kit of the Lerwick in the near future too.