A Tail of three Connies

Hi Everyone, Pleased to present three models of the most beautiful propliner ever built (Sorry Dakota! ) All started as Revell Super G's but only the Lufthansa version retaining civvie windows. For the Warning Star I used modified Minicraft radars also their decals, for the SEA version I had to dig deep into the spares, not quite right but it will have to do! Paints used were Revell Aqua, Humbrol acrylic and Xtracrylics with Alclad Chrome used on the Lufthansa version, toned down with varnish. Took ages to do these as I kept putting off masking the de-icer boots, just another three in the stash to do for the full set! MODeller

models%20915%20031A.jpg

models%20915%20032.jpg

models%20915%20033A.jpg

models%20915%20034.jpg

models%20915%20036A.jpg

models%20915%20037.jpg

models%20915%20043A.jpg

models%20915%20045A.jpg

models%20915%20046A.jpg

And finally one with the Beast!

models%20915%20042A.jpg

• Like 30

The nicest aircraft ever produced (the Constellation) and you've done it proud. Lovely models indeed, and I must agree the de-icer leading edge boots are a real pain in the neck to mask and paint! I've got five all waiting to be painted and it won't happen anytime soon...

Jeff

Excellent work on the Connie(s)! I have to say I like the camouflaged version the best. Hmmm, comparing the Beverley to the Connie it does seem that the Beverley got the short end when it came to looks.

Regards,

Jason

Lovely Connies one of my favourite classics.

Guy

Lovely work on all three of your model Connies (yes, I agree a great looking aircraft) but my choice is the civilian airliner version.

Regards

Dave

A lovely collection of Connies. A truly elegant aircraft, even when encumbered with military hardware. I'd quite like a BOAC one for my collection. I did some filming with the MATS Connie when it came to the UK a few years back. It made a beautiful sound.

The Lufthansa model is excellent. I don't know enough about military aircraft to comment on the others but they certainly look impressive!

The last time I built a Constellation (KLM from the F-DCAL sheet) I did the de-icing boots by using thin black decal stripe to outline them then hand painting with satin black. For the fins I used the fins themselves as templates to cut the necessary shapes from black decal sheet. Note that it's a good idea to do this before the model is assembled :winkgrin:.

Great job on all Brian. Where did you source the decals for the SEA version? I assume you used Minicraft decals for the Warning Star?

One day I will build my 1/72 Warning start :D

:thumbsup:

Hi Ray, I used the Minicraft decals and radars from their Warning Star kit, for the SEA version I had to dig deep into the decal bank the tail serial is too big but it was a case of use them or shelf of doom! MODeller

• Like 1

Beautiful finish on all three Connies. However, that Lufthansa scheme just stands out from the other two! Very easy on the eye. I love the old retro Lufthansa colour scheme. Well done. :goodjob:

• 3 months later...

Revisiting this one Brian, Nice to look at them again...

Can you tell me what mods you made to the radomes for the Warning Star? I am wondering if they would be applicable to m 1/72 version as I understand the shapes aren't quite right on them.

Ray

Revisiting this one Brian, Nice to look at them again...

Can you tell me what mods you made to the radomes for the Warning Star? I am wondering if they would be applicable to m 1/72 version as I understand the shapes aren't quite right on them.

Ray

Hi Ray. the Minicraft top radome was too skinny and the side view curves not right so I added plasticard and filler to reshape, bottom radome I just blended in to the Revell fuselage. Have you got "Legend of the sky Constellation" by Dominic Breffort a book I go back to time and again a true work of art!

Search Hannants site for 1/72 C-121 and see what goodies are available for the Heller kit, you get a SEA set of decals on the Caracal sheet and I can recommend the Plus Models replacement engines. MODeller

• Like 1