1/32 - McDonnell Douglas Phantom (F-4K/M & F-4B/N) by Hong Kong Models

Hi Andrew! :)

You're right!

The first picture surely shows a British F-4, while the second shows a F-4E/F/EJ? :hmmm:

Would be nice to have a RAF bird in 1/32! :frantic:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

.....and a F-4B! :winkgrin:

Edited by HansReggelsen

Tempting not quite the word describing how I'd feel. I'd pre-order 2 as I have said before and they can take that as gospel short of a meteorite taking mankind out.

I think some of the guys who frequent here have some "in" with HK and that being so given the oft voiced desire to have this kitted no doubt HK only have to ask for assistance and it will be readily provided!

Best news had in well - since the last 1/32 FGR1/2 rumour came around

I suspect they had better have a larger than usual first run through the moulds

I can see this selling very well indeed, it was only the other day I commented that there was a UK Phantom shaped hole in the market. Depending on how much these sell for you may be able to get two for the price of the conversion set that commands the same price as a vial of unicorns tears on eBay!

I hope this is the start of the return of F-4K/M/FG.1/FGR.2 kits, and that it kicks other manufacturers into action (are you listening, Airfix?). As overjoyed as I am about this, I shan't be getting any as the price will be far too high.

I do wish them every success, however.

I hope this is the start of the return of F-4K/M/FG.1/FGR.2 kits, and that it kicks other manufacturers into action (are you listening, Airfix?). As overjoyed as I am about this, I shan't be getting any as the price will be far too high.

With perfectly acceptable kits from Fujimi and Hasegawa, I doubt the Airfix offering would be able to match either of those in terms of finesse and quality - availability would be the best Airfix could bring.

A nice big British Phantom would be a joy to behold, with some great colour schemes to go with it.

• Like 1

Perfectly acceptable and as rare as hen's teeth kits, yes. However, I totally disagree that Airfix wouldn't be able to match the quality - I have Fujimi and Hasegawa FG.1s and FGR.2s in the stash, together with several new tool Airfix kits. Aside from the softer Airfix plastic and in some cases heavier panel lines (neither of which are show stoppers) their quality is on a par.

I think some of the guys who frequent here have some "in" with HK and that being so given the oft voiced desire to have this kitted no doubt HK only have to ask for assistance and it will be readily provided!

Best news had in well - since the last 1/32 FGR1/2 rumour came around

I'm exceptionally pleased that this thread, which I started ages ago, may have got somebody's attention over at HK Models. If true, then count me in for two please!! I'll gladly sell my 1/48 Hasegawa kits to finance that!

About time too! Excellent news. However,I agree with John in that this will very likely be unaffordable so I cannot see it appearing in my stash. My own reservations notwithstanding, I am sure it will be a good seller. Personally, would rather see the one true F4 in good old quarter scale at probably a quarter of the price!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Depends what you call 'unaffordable' HK and Tamiya Mosquitos are £150. Tamiya F-4s around £100. Mel's conversion would be around £200 on top of that. A Spey F-4 should be not more than £125 using that criteria.

• Like 2

Depends what you call 'unaffordable' HK and Tamiya Mosquitos are £150. Tamiya F-4s around £100. Mel's conversion would be around £200 on top of that. A Spey F-4 should be not more than £125 using that criteria.

Even if I could afford it I would not pay £150 for any kit, no matter how much I might want it. However, my only income right now is a pension so the point is academic. Even at "only" £100 this model would be unaffordable - not that I would be spending that much on one kit anyway. Yes, I know I could save up for it but, in all honesty if I started putting money aside for EVERY kit I could not currently afford then I would need to save money each month equivalent to my income and then I would need about three average life spans to build them all!! :lol:. No - while I am personally delighted to see this, I have to be practical. I will hold out for a smaller model at a smaller price. I certainly won't pay the silly prices the second hand 1/48 Hasegawa kits go for either!

Allan

Lets hope that they get this right. My understanding is that their Mossie had some "shape issues".

Now...regarding costs...WARNING Soap box time............ Now, I can accept that no-one WANTS to pay more than they have to...BUT IF I want something badly enough, and sometimes I do, then I save up for it. Now I suspect that many may have a weekly or monthly modelling budget. Well, instead of using that every month or week, just put those pennies away. AND while you're not buing any other kits during that time, you can make some space in the loft, by building some of the stash!! Then, by the time you've saved up......the empty space in the loft can be filled by your new purchase!!

• Like 1

Allan - look on the bright side - how many guys like me have a couple of 1/48 ones in their stash and were hoping for a 1/32 version. If this is true my 2 Hasegawa/Revell 1/48 ones plus am for them will hit the sales to fund the 2 1/32 ones I plan on

• Like 1

Even if I could afford it I would not pay £150 for any kit, no matter how much I might want it. However, my only income right now is a pension so the point is academic. Even at "only" £100 this model would be unaffordable - not that I would be spending that much on one kit anyway. Yes, I know I could save up for it but, in all honesty if I started putting money aside for EVERY kit I could not currently afford then I would need to save money each month equivalent to my income and then I would need about three average life spans to build them all!! :lol:. No - while I am personally delighted to see this, I have to be practical. I will hold out for a smaller model at a smaller price. I certainly won't pay the silly prices the second hand 1/48 Hasegawa kits go for either!

Allan

....fair enough Allan. I suspect its a case of "wanting something" bad enough, or not. Those that do..will ..My other hobby is model railways...new loco's are already in excess of £120.00 so I'm used to saving!!

Allan

Agreed, and for the same reasons (except for the fixed income... not there, yet).

This is most certainly not a gripe about HKM and/or their prices - far from it. I am over the moon they're doing this, and if I had the money and space to display the finished result, I would buy several. I wish them nothing but success, and hope one of you kind lot will do a WIP so I can at least build it vicariously ;).

What I'm hoping for is that when other manufacturers see there's a demand for these variants, smaller-scale new-tool kits will appear, or perhaps Revell can do another run of re-pops of the Hasegawa kits. Then I can thumb my nose at the eBay scalpers :bleh:.

Last time Hasegawa re-popped their RN phantom it was the best part of £60, so double that for a new 1/32 tool I can live with. I only go for one big kit a year so I would be fight between this one and the car door Tiffe.

Julien

Lets hope that they get this right. My understanding is that their Mossie had some "shape issues".

Nothing a bit of 'modelling' should sort out...? :)

I hope this does come true, I would love to build a Falklands F.3 and this...

10359766324_834acc3925_b.jpgRAF F-4 Gate Guard - MPA Falkland Islands by Radleigh Bushell, on Flickr

• Like 1

Allan - look on the bright side - how many guys like me have a couple of 1/48 ones in their stash and were hoping for a 1/32 version. If this is true my 2 Hasegawa/Revell 1/48 ones plus am for them will hit the sales to fund the 2 1/32 ones I plan on

:lol::lol: When the time comes, make me an offer John!!. I actually have a Revell FGR 2 as well. Definitely NOT for sale though!.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1