Blenheim Mk.IF, L1105 219 Sqn FK-S, Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

Thanks Simon - I think the mask kits are worth the money on fiddly canopies like this one :)

It's the cost that's always put me off but my eyes are getting worse and my hands aren't as steady as they once were so needs must.

Edit: to remove a stray apostrophe.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Looking very nice there Ced!

Where did you get the blast tray from? Was that from the MkIV F?

Karl

Apologies for answering for Ced.

The IVF comes with the Mk1 gunpack and blast tray as well as the MkIV gunpack.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :)

bbudde I'm glad the Flickr photos are working... perhaps now I can cancel my Photobucket 'extra bandwidth' payment but keep the account :yahoo:

Simon please feel free to answer in my absence, more than happy for you to keep things going (and it was you that suggested that as a source IIRC :) )

Rob the green on the wings is from the somewhat pointless (and messy) spraying of the bomb bay. Sometimes I think I should, er, think before I follow the instructions and save some time / paint!!

Thanks Karl - I'm really enjoying your build too - those extra details are really making a difference... if only I could be bothered :)

She's had her alcohol rub and I'll leave her to dry overnight, then plug the holes and blast some primer on... the Stynylrez stuff from Badger that we've all been raving about (but I've not tried that much). She can then cure for a day or so while I tackle the engines and turret (and the Defiant turret too).

There may be a pause in proceedings if the primer does horribly wrong... fingers crossed!

OK, I'm officially a convert to Badger Stynylrez primer - I can even spell it now!

Had a nice time priming, which is a fairly new experience for me:

22355496495_71df1996fa.jpg

Ready by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22168755539_b7ab2503d4.jpg

Wet coat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Still wet, but you get the idea. Happy bunny!

Edit: (Apologies if you're following both builds at the moment - yes I did copy and paste!!)

• Like 6

Hi John :) Halfords is good (I have some) but it's a rattle can and it's smelly - the Stynylrez is an acrylic so I can use it in the airbrush inside - smells nice! Horses for courses... personal choices... I'm a poet and I don't know it!

Tonight was on with the Sky-like grey / greenish / bluey stuff I always use:

22364721345_77e3278ecc_z.jpg

Sky on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Tomorrow, as well as masking up and the brown top coat, I'll be using the Gyro-cutter to cut the film for the masking using the film technique I used on my Hurricane... well OK, maybe the day after...

• Like 6

Sudden sense of déjà vu!

Never heard of that primer before, however someone may have mentioned it and I thought they'd sneezed!

Both builds are looking good.

I've just put the Sky on my Blenheim.

Karl

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie - I hope you're back in the swing soon :)

Thanks Rob, I'm feeling a lot more confident now that the priming's sorted (famous last words) :)

Hi Karl - please don't rush your Blenheim on my account; I have much more time on my hands and I'm trying to finish this before next week - it's school half term here so Mrs B and Sophie are off and Lottie is taking time off too so we're hoping to have a family week :)

I've squashed a Beard-Provided pilot in the turret. Took a bit of trimming on the upright and, because he wouldn't move them apart, a little off the inside of his legs. That'll teach him!

22182129828_dc9fa516da.jpg

Manning the rear turret by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

To add a little jeopardy and to give me something to worry about I fitted the aerial. Not easy to get this straight on the little dent in the fuselage - future builders might want to deepen the dent a bit so the part fits snugly. I only knocked it twice during the masking (rats):

21758693724_698f6fd985_n.jpg 22392899091_5c94f63069_n.jpg

Half way by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

You can see that I've masked the demarkation lines with Tamiya tape, burnished down, and then filled in the rest with cheap masking tape. I try to make sure I don't leave ANY gaps in this as it's surprising where the spray gets to. Drying now, just the masks to do later:

22370044322_ba14c84049_z.jpg

DE on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 8

It really does boggle the mind where overspray can go: into crevices that normal airbrushing never penetrates to; through a gap in clear parts; into a nightmare parallel universe where Hitler won the war and we can only build flash-ridden Revell kits; etc.

22182129828_dc9fa516da.jpg

Go easy on him, the poor devil appears to have had one of those strokes that leave you manipulating everything with your mouth.

• Like 3

I'm glad one of the pilots I made redundant has found suitable employment.

It must be my eyes but the Vickers K guns look like blobs of plastic on the sprue (which I suppose they are) but look pretty good painted.

Have you considered drilling a hole in the aerial mast, and where it's meant to go, and using a small diameter piece of metal? Some-one else used a guitar string (I'm due to re-string my guitars soon, if you need some.)

Edit: to insert commas, to make myself clearer.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Hi Ced, looking great mate. You've put me to shame in this group build with your production. Joe :)

• Like 1

Hi PC! "Go easy on him, the poor devil appears to have had one of those strokes that leave you manipulating everything with your mouth." He's already had a telling off for having his hands in his pockets (qv) - goodness knows what he's up to now.

Thanks Simon - are you sure you didn't fire the guy for 'performance reasons'??

Good tip about the wire... I'll certainly bear that in mind next time I have wobbly one (fnaar fnaar) :)

Hi Joe - it's all this free time, I have to use it somehow!

And thanks to Joe's technique the masking was a breeze. I scanned the transfer sheet's scheme and then printed it (in B&W) at varying scales until it matched the model, in this case 280%:

21763080324_d3d8f8bfac_z.jpg

Template printed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I then printed another copy in colour for reference, stuck bits of film on the B&W copy and, using the Gyro-cut, cut around the pattern making sure to cut the mask to cover the DE - it's easy to get 'blind' and cut to the wrong lines (ask me how I know). I've then positioned the mask, still on its B&W paper, onto the colour sheet:

21770084193_6af0dbb467_z.jpg

Masks cut by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I'll be using the Panzer putty for the fuselage again as long as it hasn't crawled off somewhere.

John (Biggles87) was asking how I got on with the Gyro-cut. I like it! The film and paper are quite thick and it does require some pressure but, unlike scalpels and scissors, it's easy to go around sharper curves and even stop and change direction - as long as you keep the blade fairly upright. No more crinkly edges on complex curves and shapes! The only problem I've had is a small one and easily rectified - holding the cutter like a pen means your hand blocks the light so you need to move your lamp around a bit. Apart from that I'm 'sold' :)

• Like 7

Thanks Simon - are you sure you didn't fire the guy for 'performance reasons'??

Good tip about the wire... I'll certainly bear that in mind next time I have wobbly one (fnaar fnaar) :)

No, we were overstaffed... he was not managed out. Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

Thanks Beard :D

Big day today...

Masked by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22219605608_50c3e9d5f0.jpg

DG on by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22407344975_1fe26b6e49.jpg

Make sure you move other parts out of the spray booth - rats. Had to do these again:

21785022484_522f33cc88.jpg

Oops by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Mask off by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

22220868390_f0f6c57a8c_z.jpg

Out to dinner tonight and Yeovilton show tomorrow so probably doing a bear impression (big paws) :)

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

I must say that the Panzer Putty looks like something from one of those 1950's horror movies.

Wait until he takes it off. It looks like the kind of slug that'll stop you from leaving the house.

Edit: to correct spelling.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Excellent progress, Ced! The paint finish is excellent as well :goodjob:

I'm with Joe in complaining that your productivity puts mine to shame... ;)

Looking forward to seeing it finished, it shouldn't take long now, right?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Thanks Cookie and Karl :)

John and Simon you're right - it is weird stuff but I like it... still practicing and I think I need to stretch it thinner to avoid the 'blob' worries. :shutup:

Thanks Jaime! I saw Joe at the Yeovilton show today and I repeat my previous comment - the quality of your and Joe's work reflects your skill against my kit bashing. Seeing Joe's models up close makes me realise I'll be using this line for a long time!!

Theatre tonight so only a little modelling time...

Sanded off the bumps, before on the right, after on the left:

22412594696_4e7e96bbc2.jpg

Bumps off by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Brushed some AK True metal on the collector rings and pokey bits:

22250841320_967ab20abc.jpg

AK True Metal by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

They both need more work. I may even drill out the pokey bits (steady Ced!)

I tried an experiment on the exhausts in an attempt to get that 'used' look. Jaime and I both have the same problem with pigments in that they just turn to 'paint'. "What if you dipped the brush in it while painting?" I thought so here it is with the Mr Metal Color iron:

22449973361_ae788c9ac1.jpg

Try this by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It looks OK at the moment but we'll see tomorrow - I'll do some close ups if it's worth it!

• Like 4