Spitfire Mk I Trop X4922

Vonbraun

Hello, can anyone help with information on Spitfire Mk I X4922.

Apparently employed in testing of Vokes filter and possibly of the Merlin 45. I've posted the an alleged image have found of this aircraft. Any information and particularly photos are most welcome. TIA.SpitfireIX4922.jpg

Edited by Vonbraun
  • Like 1

It was built as a Mk.I, but converted to Va, as it is here. This is one of the "official" photos from AAEE- it was a testbed for a long time, and went to 349 Squadron in July '43 while they were working up- not used operationally (Vb for that). To 61OTU August 1st, and SOC in Nov '44.

During its trials it had Merlin 45, later Merlin 46, the Vokes filter (and other trop mods) as shown here (but note that the slipper tank may be a wooden mockup), an experimental curved windscreen...

Here's one AAEE report using this aircraft.

Note that it is a "Presentation Spitfire", the H&H referring to Higgs and Hill Ltd.

bob

p.s. You can see a hint of the "circle P" aft of the roundel.

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Thank you Bob, fascinating information, especially regarding the H&H marking!

I could make out something circular aft of the roundel, but was not sure if it was the Circle P marking or not. Thanks for the clarification.

I am assuming the aircraft was painted DG/DE over Sky with yellow Circle P stencil aft of the roundel.

The H&H marking is a bit of a mystery for me...it does not match the white of the roundel and the film type does not register yellow well. My guess is blue or gray, but it is pure speculation.

From Gifts of War

Purchased with a donation of £5,000 by Higgs and Hill Ltd, builders of Crown Works, South Lambeth Road, London SW8. Allocated to Farnborough 1st Feb 1941 and sent to Air Service Training at Hamble for conversion to Mk Va prototype with Merlin 46. Delivered to A&AEE Boscombe Down on 11th March for comparison spin trials with X4942 and N3053. Also fitted with Volkes multi-vee air filter for cooling trials. These were carried out by Vickers-Armstrong at Worthy Down from 17th April. Returned to Boscombe Down 7th October. Back to worth Down on 9th October for trials with tropical filter and oil cooler. A wooden mock up made of the proposed 90 gal slipper overload fuel tank. 21st December 1941 back to Boscombe Down for trials of tropical modifications. Retuned to Worthy Down 25th February 1943 (sic). Trials and experiments continued on 7th July 1942 when speed test were carried out with a curved windscreen, whip aerials, and a Merlin 46 engine which gave 16lb of boost. On 21st March 1943 went back to AST, probably to have modifications removed, leaving it as a Mk Va. 20th May handed to 8 MU Little Rissington. Allocated to 349 (Belgian) Squadron Kings Cliffe 6th July. Allocated 61 OTU Rednal 1st August. Sent to Station Flight Northolt 13th August to fly weather reconnaissances. Transferred to 52 OTU Charmy Down 22nd August. Returned 4th February 1944 to 61 OTU. On 24th February FO M L Vatal injured when port undercarriage collapsed on heavy landing at Rednal. Repaired by Vickers from 5th March returning 24th March. 19th October relegated to 45 MU Kinloss to be handed over to 9 MU Cosford 5th November. 8th November First Officer A Powys of 12 Ferry Pool overshot landing at Brockton, a satellite of Cosford, running through two hedges before coming to rest. Declared Cat E 19th November and SOC.

• Like 1

Thank you 303sqn that is absolutely amazing. I very much appreciate the effort it took to put that together.

Between the this post and that provided by Gingerbob the history of the aircraft has been pretty well nailed down. My sincere thanks to both!

Anyone care to comment on colors?

The low contrast top and dark underside, viewed on ortho film, on a trials aircraft would suggest Dark Green and Dark Earth over Yellow. At some stage this will have been updated to the Day Fighter Scheme but this would not have been seen as a priority as long as it stayed on trials work. The presence of the early roundels also suggest the retention of an older scheme.

• Like 1

Here's a shot from the other side (bottom of page). I'm sure I've seen a shot of it flying, too, but haven't started looking in books.

bob

p.s. Note that at the time these photos were taken (Dec '41), it is fitted with the spin-chute guard on the fin.

Edited by gingerbob
to add date of photos
  • Like 1

Excellent photo Gingerbob, thank you!

I am not seeing evidence of a roundel under the wing, I can't tell if its obscured in the shadow or just not there.

The dark undersurface is again consistent with yellow and ortho film.