1/72 Martlet II...old-school

Giving my age away here, but this model was built many years ago, before the Hasegawa kit existed. It is based on the Revell kit from the 1960's, and represents an early Grumman Martlet Mk II with odd upper-wing pitot and extended landing gear fairing.

The kit was an F4F-4, so required conversion work was minimal, mostly focused on re-working cowl details to eliminate the upper lip intake and add the proper cooling flap configuration.

DSC03282_zpsr39rcycd.jpg

DSC03281_zps81p3ytuq.jpg

The surface detail was sanded off and scribed, with some raised panels done with .003" brass shim stock. The various bumps and bulges underneath for the gun breeches and flap hinge fairings were made by rounding the end of a plastic rod, then slicing it off at an angle. It was difficult to control their exact size that way, so I ended up making many dozens of them and picking matched pairs to go on opposite sides! The catapult spools, aerial masts, pitot, and various other small bits were mostly made from sprue, etc.

DSC03279_zpsdjzmsqnr.jpg

The landing gear was completely scratchbuilt with plastic rod and stretched sprue. IIRC the engine was liberated from an Italeri bomber of some sort and wired; the prop uses a Monogram P-36 hub with blades and root cuffs cut from scrap-box props.

DSC03290_zpsyzvubjtn.jpg

DSC03294_zpsklippqpf.jpg

The cockpit was scratchbuilt, and the canopy vacuformed using the vintage Airfix Wildcat VI as a form.

DSC03285_zpsy1da4wbf.jpg

Have always loved this unusual-looking aircraft, and it looks particularly fetching in FAA markings!

DSC03286_zpsbn7rphlw.jpg

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 41

That is so nice. This kit was possibly the first I ever painted, getting on for 50 years ago now I reckon. I've another among my stock, keen to do it "proper" this time. Yours is a great example of how "proper" they can be made to look.

Steve.

I very much appreciate everyone's kind comments on this ancient build! It was Eric Brown's "Wings of the Navy" that made me a fan of the FAA in general, and the Martlet in particular I believe.

The model was done in pre-internet days and the research involved not only gathering every published resource I could find, but contacting both Wildcat manufacturers, Grumman and General Motors. I learned that neither company had retained any original production drawings, so without exception, kits and published drawings to this day rely--to their detriment--on the simplified diagrams contained in Pilot's Notes and Erection & Maintenance manuals.

So this model is far from perfect, but I certainly knew a lot more about Martlets after building it, than before! The old Revell kit also had a very accurate overall shape to my eye, and was not really bettered until the Hasegawa kit came along.

I've posted this link before, but this twin 1/72 conversion (FM-2 and F4F-3) of the Hasegawa F4F-4 by master modeler Jumpei Temma is quite amazing, and includes perhaps the most accurate Wildcat drawings in existence; do not miss the comparison of all 6 Martlet marks at the end!

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/fm2/fm2e-1.html

DSC03283_zpsfgaoxcw1.jpg

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

It just shows what you could achieve just using good old modelling skills. Somehow to my eyes the Martlet just looks better in FAA colours. This may just be nostalgia because my very first kit ever was the Airfix Wildcat and I got my Daddy to use the FAA decals although my motivation was that they simply were more colourful having no idea what they meant.

Also thanks for the link to Jumpei Temma's work. That's a keeper and added to my favourites list. Guess I will be buying the Airfix new Wildcat after all.