Are these fisheyes?

spike52656

Hello

I have started to paint a p-40, only to be plagued by the problem which keeps messing me up. The paint does not want to adhere properly, even after I have just cleaned the model. Are these fisheyes? Can anybody tell me what they are and how to fix them?

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/a/kFS8Q

Edited by spike52656

Are you using a primer? I find the paint adheres far better when I prime first (I'm a big fan of the Mr Surfacer range in cans).

Before priming I tend to wipe down the surface to be painted with rubbing alcohol which to date has worked well.

Not sure if you could call those fisheyes, but it does look like the paint may be drying before hitting the model, leaving that sort of grainy effect in your photo? Hence I think you may need to hold the spray/airbrush a bit closer to the model possibly?

From what I can see not quite fish eyes but close.

First I'd say Ronan is right about primer. It creates a broken surface to hold the paint in place while it dries to prevent pooling which is what the top photo shows.

The second picture is either paint that is too thick or pressure too low. You don't say what paint you're using but as a rule of thumb start at 25% thinner by volume and adjust as necessary. You want to set the pressure just high enough that there's no spitting and work about twelve inches away from the model for an overall finish closer for fine work. If the paint pulls away from external edges and into internal corners then it's too thin as your top photo. If it dries before hitting the model it's too thick.

The surface in the top picture may be polypropylene or a similar 'wet' plastic which will need a plastic primer. The paint tends to bead on such materials rather than flatten out for a good finish.

HTH

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I am using Tamiya paint, thinned to about 33%. I have not thought about the primer, so I may try that. Will report on results.

Thanks

Jan K

Edited by spike52656
  • Like 1

More thinners and use either the rubbing alcohol or Pre-sol. The model needs to be clean, squeeky clean. Also yes to the primer, Halfords if you can't find any other decant iti a shhot i form the airbrush.

Colin

I don't know what fish eyes is but it looks like you're too close and /or too high pressure. Thats what the problem is when I get that "mess".

Try keeping the airbrush further out a little and check,if thats not helped, try dropping the pressure a little and see what difference it makes. That plastic container wouldn't take paint very well anyway so try printer paper,not newspaper.

But primer first is always a good idea.

Edited by bzn20