anyone compared shapes of all three 1:32 mossies yet ?

brewerjerry

Hi

Curiosity,

anyone been able to compare HK , tamiya , revell 1:32 mossies for shapes and lengths, etc ...

I know naturally the revell kit will show its age in quality issues.

I have the tamiya mossie but my revell one is buried in the stash somewhere ....

cheers

jerry

I've got the Tamiya and HK Mossies on my workbench at the moment. They match up fairly well dimensionally. I have a WIP on here but have had to take a break due to an eye injury. I should be back at the bench in a week or so.

Carl

I saw a Tamiya and an HK together at St Ives a week ago. I also have a built up Revell plus another. Revell are basic with a dodgy canopy, find a replacement. HK have a fat nose forward of the cockpit. It should taper, but it does the opposite. My thoughts are go Tamiya.

I saw a Tamiya and an HK together at St Ives a week ago. I also have a built up Revell plus another. Revell are basic with a dodgy canopy, find a replacement. HK have a fat nose forward of the cockpit. It should taper, but it does the opposite. My thoughts are go Tamiya.

Can you elaborate? My HK Mossie's nose does in fact taper, so I'm afraid I need some more info on what kind of taper, how much etc. etc. Of course, in this instance I waived your advice in your signature "not to take any posts you make seriously"! ;)

Cheers,

Erik.

I looked head on and from above at both models on the same table. The HK variant had the visual appearance of being slightly bulged just ahead of the windscreen, before tapering to the tip. I have not studied the breakdown of the kit. IF the nose section is joined just ahead of the cockpit, then it may be a misfit, a filler problem or the nose is marginally wider in section than the fuselage. Either way, the example I looked at, and went back to make comparison, was as I described - bulged. The builders of both kits were not available to question at that point, but I did point it out to a chap sitting at the table.

1391556_1552231158359837_607654023550254

This image from the HK website shows the wider section.

To my eyes the HK Mosquito is way off in some areas . The canopy looks too wide and flat , the nose windows look too small , and the prop Spinners are the wrong shape.

giving the appearance of the old Frog kit

At £ 100.00 + for this kit i would have expected things to be spot on which they are not. :weep:

I remember seeing a comparison between Tamiya & HKM's Mosquito wing leading edge profile, in the radiator area, HKM's was more rounded, more blunt, than Tamiya's, the difference was clearly visible.

The Merlin V12s are also a little more simplified in HKM's kit, it's certainly nice enough but when you have both side by side for comparison, the Tamiya engine looks much more convincing, at least to me.

And, as mentioned by keith in the uk, the spinners are wrongly shaped.

Wether these issues are deal breakers or not, I wouldn't know, all I can say is Tamiya got my money last week end and I don't regret it one second.

Edited by PMG Offramp