Gloster Meteor F Mk 8 Israeli AF 1/32 scale

This is the build I was really hoping to do back when I proposed this build a year ago! The HK Models Meteor F Mk 4 converted to an F Mk 8 using Paul Fisher's excellent set and the Zotz Decals sheet with IAF markings. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get the money together but I had a good month just after the updated conversion and the decal sheet were released, so I'm set and ready to go!

20150812_060403_zpsb1jne8cz.jpg

20150821_174732_zpskgpposyz.jpg

zotz_32069_d1.jpg

This is going to be great!

Michael

Edited by MichaelSatin
  • Like 5

The plan is bare metal. I want to do an earlier one while they were still first line aircraft.

Here are a couple of more detailed shots of the conversion set and the decals:

20151004_145125_zpsnyxctnou.jpg20151004_145632_zpscp9qoncb.jpg

• Like 2

The plan is bare metal. I want to do an earlier one while they were still first line aircraft.

Here are a couple of more detailed shots of the conversion set and the decals:

20151004_145125_zpsnyxctnou.jpg20151004_145632_zpscp9qoncb.jpg

Certainly looks a nice set Michael...very tempting, but then I have a couple of 1/48th Meteors to finish off....just one pedantic note, you mentioned natural metal for the Israeli F8. Is that correct, were they stripped of paint, or were they painted with Aluminium paint?

I've started cutting on the kit to fit the conversion and found that the conversion instructions forgot to mention that part of the lower fuselage molded with the lower wing has to be cut away too. For a couple of minutes I thought I'd cut away too much of the fuselage! An email to Paul Fisher (a great guy) confirmed it was the instructions, not me. Whew.

Unfortunately my internet connection is down today so I can't post pictures (using my phone to write this). Hopefully tomorrow.

Michael

Edited by MichaelSatin

Thank you both for your interest, we'll see how it goes. Bill, all the references I have say the Israeli aircraft were bare metal, so that's what I'm going with.

Michael

Thank you both for your interest, we'll see how it goes. Bill, all the references I have say the Israeli aircraft were bare metal, so that's what I'm going with.

Michael

Bare metal eh? That's interesting.....and different! Good luck, it should look spectacular in that scale!

OK, interweb back up, so here are some pics.

First, here's how the fuselage halves look original and with Fisher replacements (I took the pic after the cutting, thus the tape. I have no patience):

20151010_154202_zpsmugmm7ce.jpg

Next, here's what I meant about needing to cut away the lower fuselage as well as the main parts:

20151010_154629_zpsxsqniywf.jpg

Whoops!

OK, here's how it looks with all the surgery done:

20151012_092514_zpsfoiboni0.jpg

Extreme closeups!

20151012_092540_zps8kkycxv7.jpg

20151012_092553_zpsippagg1e.jpg

20151012_092608_zpscgh8xtgw.jpg

20151012_092621_zps5slfkbwr.jpg

20151012_092647_zpsdctvuo2r.jpg

20151012_092644_zps087nwjoj.jpg

Got some work to do on that last one. My fault, not the kit or conversion.

Whew! Cutting done, now it's time to glue and clean up.

Michael

• Like 4

It certainly is Mark, though you do want to wash it thoroughly in bleach to get rid of the release agent (as I'm finding out). Yours is looking good too!

Michael

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip regarding the bleach to get the release agent off as I'd not thought that far ahead yet.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Is that an FR.9 nose in the conversion set?

The original issue of the conversion set was only the F.Mk.8 but the second release (what he's selling now) included the FR.Mk.9 nose. The Zotz decal sheet has markings for the FR.9 that shot down two Egyptian Vampires. I like the F.8 look better so I'll be doing that. Also, I'm not that confident about my sawing ability and to do the 9 you actually have to cut the nose off the 8.

Michael

The fit of parts looks pretty decent. A very good set by the look of it.....and very tempting....

I'd have to agree at this point that fit errors have been my fault and not Paul's!

Michael

That is a very nice resin set.

Michael, not to dispute what you said about bare metal, but do note that all British-built production jet combat aircraft were painted at the factory or at a Maintenance Unit as an anti-corrosion measure. If they were not given a camouflage scheme they were given a High Speed Silver finish. The only exception to that rule is the English Electric Lightning, which was indeed left in a bare metal finish. This would have applied to Israeli Meatboxes as well, and any reference to them being in a bare metal finish should be treated with caution. The High Speed Silver would have dulled and weathered as time went on of course, hence the reference to dull aluminium on the decal sheet.

Michael, not to dispute what you said about bare metal, but do note that all British-built production jet combat aircraft were painted at the factory or at a Maintenance Unit as an anti-corrosion measure. If they were not given a camouflage scheme they were given a High Speed Silver finish. The only exception to that rule is the English Electric Lightning, which was indeed left in a bare metal finish. This would have applied to Israeli Meatboxes as well, and any reference to them being in a bare metal finish should be treated with caution. The High Speed Silver would have dulled and weathered as time went on of course, hence the reference to dull aluminium on the decal sheet.

Not to worry, I wondered that myself as the pics don't really look bare metal to me. Silver painted would, of course, be a somewhat easier finish so I would rather you were correct. I wasn't aware that they left the factory with a silver paint job so that could definitely serve to sway me to your point of view!

Michael

I plan to have a go at painting mine Alclad White Aluminium followed by a coat of gloss varnish. To represent the high speed silver. I'll probably use my 1:144 kit as a test subject.

Regards,

Mark

Michael, not to dispute what you said about bare metal, but do note that all British-built production jet combat aircraft were painted at the factory or at a Maintenance Unit as an anti-corrosion measure. If they were not given a camouflage scheme they were given a High Speed Silver finish....The High Speed Silver would have dulled and weathered as time went on of course, hence the reference to dull aluminium on the decal sheet.

Can confirm this. As of October-November 1956, all were in high speed silver finish. Egyptian Meteors too, BTW (T.Mk.4s, T.Mk.8s and T.Mk.7s).

NF.13s were a different story, of course - although they also retained colours originally applied before delivery.

Can confirm this. As of October-November 1956, all were in high speed silver finish. Egyptian Meteors too, BTW (T.Mk.4s, T.Mk.8s and T.Mk.7s).

NF.13s were a different story, of course - although they also retained colours originally applied before delivery.

Thank you gentlemen, Speed Silver it is!

Michael

Take one expensive kit, an expensive conversion kit and mix with one simple razor saw - you are seriously brave.

Or seriously brain damaged! All those years and all those chemicals.

Michael

Also, I'm not that confident about my sawing ability and to do the 9 you actually have to cut the nose off the 8.

Rather amusing comment after seeing your test fit following the surgery!

Fortunately for me, I like the look of the 4 more than the 8, so I'm saved having to wish for this particular conversion. But oh, that Ryan of his...!

bob

• Like 1