Grumman Tiger F11F-1 - Hasegawa 1/72

One of the things I have enjoyed about modelling is finding out more about real aviation subjects. I had no idea that the F11 Tiger existed until I started modelling USN types. It's rather a neat little fighter that didn't serve with the Navy for very long - presumably replaced by the beast that is the F8 Crusader that probably outperformed it in every way. Given the Tiger was replaced quickly I think it would make quite a convincing What-If in FAA Extra Dark Sea Grey and White - it's small enough to fit on the RN's carriers of the 60's maybe in an alternative universe where the Scimitar never existed and the RN bought second-hand Tigers to replace their Sea Hawks. Anyway this one is in more conventional USN colours!

tigera.jpg

This is a fairly old Hasegawa kit that was a Blue Angels boxing in hard dark blue plastic. I gave this a rescribe but is otherwise pretty much out of the box. I lost one of the cannon shell ejector chutes to the carpet monster and had to fabricate one from plastic card. The AIM-9Bs are from the Hasegawa weapons sets.

tigerf.jpg

Decals are mostly from an old Microscale sheet. As always whenever I do supplemental research on these old decal sets I find things that aren't quite right. It's probably because the designers had access to photos that I do not but the photos I had of this particular aircraft of VF-33 showed that it did not have the "Astronauts" badge and writing that were shown on the instructions and feature on many other VF-33 Tigers.

tigerg.jpg

Another thing to watch is the orientation of the lightning flashes on the tail and wingtips - I have seen other finished models on the web where these have been wrongly placed i.e. zigging up rather than down on the tail (if that makes sense!!). The pic of this aircraft showed that the wingtip flashes zigged the other way to pretty much all other VF-33 Tigers and contrary to the decal instructions - beware!! As it happens I accidentally got it right for once!!

tigerc.jpg

The jet intake and danger stencils were taken from various other Microscale sheets as there were none on the Tiger sheet. It is missing a yellow "danger" stencil aft of the cockpit which has the letters vertically orientated which I could not find anywhere.

tigerd.jpg

Hope you like!!

Pat

tigere.jpg

Edited by Pat C
  • Like 24

Your Tiger looks great!

I built it eons ago when I had never heard of rescribing,,, but I still like the way it looks with raised panel lines.

It was a most enjoyable build, so I am sure you had loads of fun building it!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Nice build, Pat!

I saw one in Pensacola today, in the same markings, Probably the prettiest plane Grumman ever built. Pilots loved flying it and it had an excellent safety record, unlike the F8U.

Trouble was, it was so small that it couldn't truck enough fuel along, which was a tremendous advantage the F8U had that nobody talks about.

-d-

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys!

Nice build and finish but I see you had the same problem as I did: smoothing the upper fuselage to blend the two halves removes all traces of a louvered outlet.

Don't you just love intricate detail moulded right on the join line!! I think at one point I mused on how to scribe this back in but it got forgotten about once the first coat of Light Gull Grey went on!

Pat