1/72nd scale Martin Mars and Boeing 314 Clipper

I am a big fan of flying boats, and here are a couple of large ones from my collection.

The first is the Combat Models vacform 1/72nd scale Martin Mars, which I completed back in the mid-1990s. This was an absolute pig of a kit, with the cockpit having to be scratch-built, a comprehensive series of internal bulkheads and bracing needed to be installed to keep it rigid and give it some much needed strength, engines and props were 'borrowed' from a donor 1/72nd B-29, and the beaching gear was made from scratch. The decals came from the spares box and generic decal sheets available at the time.

Martin JRM-2 'Caroline Mars'

DSC_0177_zpspxvw1lav.jpg

DSC_0181_zpslind1zlt.jpg

DSC_0171_zpsqbucloe5.jpg

DSC_0183_zpsg6fsp8x7.jpg

DSC_0187_zpsn56pauju.jpg

DSC_0189_zpscd7eosdr.jpg

The second is one I finished a few years back and is another Combat Models vacform; this time one of the most beautiful flying boats built to my eyes: the Boeing 314 Clipper, also in 1/72nd scale.

This was again, you guessed it, a real pig, and once again lots of internal bracing was needed as well as lots of re-scribing to bring it up to acceptable standards. I used Aerolclub white metal engines and propellers, and used home made decals as none existed at the time.

Boeing 314 Clipper 'Berwick' of BOAC

DSC_0190_zpseilxaknx.jpg

DSC_0192_zpso7r5ygrb.jpg

DSC_0194_zpswyjl4ady.jpg

DSC_0196_zps9ouaeb8j.jpg

DSC_0200_zps2cge4f9l.jpg

DSC_0203_zpsrkn65w1r.jpg

Although these were very challenging builds, they were also great fun, and add a couple of very rare models to my collection. I've never seen another of either built up other than mine, so perhaps I'm the only one mad enough to give kits like this a go!

Rob

• Like 29

Brilliant, Rob! Love the Mars and now I've seen one built I want it even more.... I have a table just for the Mars to be built on once it arrives, should be fun. Clipper looks very good too, but I can't imagine how big that is though?

Great stuff as ever Tom......they may be pigs to build but as we've discussed many times offer far more satisfaction over easier oob models..

The Mars is quite a beast...(just hope young Radders knows what he's taken on... :shutup:)...

A severe case of mistaken identity here General... it's Rob and not Tom... although I taught the boy all he knows ;)

And as for Radleigh - he'll have his work cut out but I'm sure is the man for the job!

• Like 2

Err...wow!! Where are you going to keep 'em???!!!! As Forestfan says, can we have a pic next to a single engine fighter or something so we can appreciate the size??!!

Pat

Hi Pat,

If the sun's out in the next couple of weekends I'll add a Spit or something for scale. The real thing had a span of 200ft, so in 1/72nd scale that works out at roughly 33 inches, or a smidge under 3 feet.

Rob

Those are stunning, The Mars is my all time favourite flying boat. I remember seeing one in flight back in the early 90's while on holiday stateside. It was an impressive bird.

A severe case of mistaken identity here General... it's Rob and not Tom... although I taught the boy all he knows ;)

Sorry Rob...I knew that ! :doh: .....having back and forth emails at the mo with 'the lad' has definitely caused brain freeze ......let me start again........Great stuff as ever Rob, etc..... :winkgrin:

I say Revell Germany needs to get to work on a 72nd scale Mars. Large US-built flying boats deserve equal time. Unlike some German Flying Boats, the Mars actually saw some useful service <SNERK>....

-d-

• Like 1

I say Revell Germany needs to get to work on a 72nd scale Mars. Large US-built flying boats deserve equal time. Unlike some German Flying Boats, the Mars actually saw some useful service <SNERK>....

-d-

Once I tackle the Combat Mars, someone will probably announce one!

Thanks Rob too :)

Oh wow!! Again I am so impressed by the wonderful models I have viewed on BM recently, these are just stunning and vacforms at that! I appreciate your hard work and thank you for sharing them with us, kind regards Colin. PS: Puts to shame my new KP Piper L-4H I am currently building, have just managed to fog up part of the windows with my glued up fingers, any advice please on 'how to unfog my windows'

Very impressing! - I wish to have them both one day :)

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S. to post #19

PS: Puts to shame my new KP Piper L-4H I am currently building, have just managed to fog up part of the windows with my glued up fingers, any advice please on 'how to unfog my windows'

Colin, if it is just on surface sand it with paper 600 (wet), then even smaller grid, polish with a piece of soft linien and finally cover with gloss varnish. If it does not help - buy another....Another option - if it is place which can be opened - cut it off and add opened window (door?)

They are both fantastic Rob. I've just bought them both whilst I was on holiday in the States so it is great to see that they can be built although I don't think my skill levels are anywhere near yours so the results will probably not be quite the same!!

Cheers

Glen

Very impressing! - I wish to have them both one day :)

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S. to post #19

Colin, if it is just on surface sand it with paper 600 (wet), then even smaller grid, polish with a piece of soft linien and finally cover with gloss varnish. If it does not help - buy another....Another option - if it is place which can be opened - cut it off and add opened window (door?)

Hello Jerzy-Wojtek, thank you very much for the above tip, I will try it this afternoon, much appreciated, Colin.