Welcome and Rules

Thanks Mish!

Right all, here we go. Welcome to the Meteor Single Type Group Build!

The Gloster Meteor was Britain’s and the Allies' first operational jet aircraft. While taxi trials first took place on 10 July, 1942, lack of a suitable engine delayed actual first flight until 5 March, 1943. Squadron service commenced with 616 Sqn. In June, 1944 and the Meteor never looked back. Sometimes derided as having a conventional design, especially in comparison to the Me262, the Meteor nevertheless compiled an impressive record against the V-1 and continued to improve over the years. With nearly 4,000 units built by Glosters and Armstrong Whitworth and going through a number of variants as a fighter, reconnaissance aircraft, trainer, and night fighter the Meteor remained in front line service with the RAF until 1961, serving in second line and training units for several years thereafter. In addition the Meteor was an export success, serving with a number of foreign air forces including Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Israel, Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Syria, and the U.S. right up to the ‘70s. The Meteor posted solid combat records in WWII, Korea, the 1956 Suez conflict, Algeria, and at least a couple of revolutions in Argentina. In addition it set various speed, time to altitude, and distance records in the ‘40s and early ‘50s. Not bad for a “conventional” WWII design!

This Group Build will focus on the Gloster/AW Meteor in all its various iterations.

Rules:

1. The Group Build will run from 10 October, 2015 through 10 January, 2016.

2. Any Meteor, from prototypes to the U Mk21A is welcome, including actual (documented) modifications either official or in the field. No what-ifs.

3. Any scale is welcome.

4. Out of the box, aftermarket help, scratch building, or conversions are perfectly acceptable as long as the model conforms to rule 2.

5. Kits up to 25% started are acceptable. If in doubt, feel free to ask the host.

6. All builds must have an in progress thread in the Meteor Single Type Group Build forum. Post lots of pics and tell us about what aircraft you’re modeling and how it’s going. Let us know about the kit, and aftermarket, techniques, paints used, and so forth so other modelers have the chance to see what you're using and what to expect if they go the same route. Post at least three shots of your finished model in the Group Build Gallery.

7. No buying or selling in the Group Build threads.

8. Feel free to post constructive comments on others’ builds. Abusive/combative comments, however, may be deleted. I don’t wanna play that game.

9. I’m not planning on a poll on this one. I like to build models more than have contests. Yeah yeah, I know, touchy feely. I have enough competition at my real life job, thank you very much. In short:

10. This is about modeling the Meteor. Expand your skills and knowledge and, above all, HAVE FUN!

Michael

Edited by MicahelSatin
  • Like 1