Russian aircraft at Latakia

magman2

It also seems that each panel has a number..... with a corresponding number on the airframe.

Also interesting to see the brand new clothing worn by the groundcrew - neat shorts and T-shirts with sun hats.

Yup, each panel has a number, and there is a row of frame-numbers going down the entire airframe, from radome all the way back to engine exhausts (at least on Su-24s).

Re. 'new uniforms': these were already worn by 'Russian volunteers distributing aid in eastern Ukraine', earlier this, perhaps already the last year... (or is that going to be 'deleted because of politics' too...?)

Thanks to Finn I've now discovered Twitter!

There are some amazing and unique photo opportunities presenting themselves at the moment. Who would have ever thought we'd get to see Syrian Arab Air Force MiG-21's and MiG-23's in nice clear images!

Here we have a MiG-23 (though I'm afraid I don't know what type it is, Tom can you help?). Nose number is 2657 and is carrying home made bombs that seem to have been quickly assembled, welded together and fitted onto the aircraft! So, for all of us modellers these bombs need to be painted in metal and rust colours!

577cf098-c18f-438b-b228-dfaeb391aa21.jpg

8a6bac71-d46b-4802-9eb6-68c8879f90d2.jpg

3bdf648c-49c5-4312-a930-49be9bf4204f.jpg

Note the different hues on the nose. The staining down around the rear landing gear. The wear where the ladder hits the fuselage. What looks to me to be a natural metal plate at the front of the splitter plate? Discolouring under the tailplane. General poor patchy appearance of the upper camouflage colours.

Does Trumpeter make this type in 48th scale? It is a weatherers dream come true aircraft! May well make the decals and do this one myself in 2016!

Cheers

Richard.

• Like 1

'Just' a MiG-23MF. Overhauled and 'upgraded' (primarily through addition of that indigenous Syrian chaff&flare dispenser at the rear fuselage) at 'The Works' at Nayrab AB/Aleppo IAP: you can even make out the insignia of that facility in front of the serial number on the left side of the nose (in white and black).

Yes, colours are really badly worn out. Originally, they were orange-sand and blue-green (some of the latter was 're-freshed' around the cockpit and at the joint of the front fuselage and radome).

Re. bombs: well... I have my doubts these are really 'home-made'. Look too much like FAB-250-230s to me. More likely 'rusty because found in some forgotten depot' (unsurprisingly, though thanks heaven, at least half of these are failing to detonate).

EDIT: BTW, other photographs taken by the same Russkie journo at Hama AB two days ago show one of 33 MiG-23MLDs Syria purchased from Belarus, back in 2008 (which prompted various Russian media to babble about deliveries of MiG-31s to Syria).

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 3

Also interesting to see the brand new clothing worn by the groundcrew - neat shorts and T-shirts with sun hats.

Pics of the base facilities show a very modern setup - light years away from previous Russian facilities.

All done to showcase Russias modern military might.

Ken

Of course they have to look good, look at all the media there:

%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%81-%D1%82%D1

Jari

• Like 1

Sorry, No....

I must admit it isn't something I have picked up on....

I do notice the small fillet on the wing leading edge - where it joins the ECM pod - that plus the upper wing fence.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

Blackjack, Backfire & Bear in ACTION :

introduce special guest star (?)- new strategic cruise missile X-101:
1447776314_17-4013964-0-136f00-754d59d2-

B.R.
Serge

P.S.

Play with Su-30 pilot in "Rock-paper-scissors":

17999_800.png

??? :)

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 3

I am building a SU-34 at the moment and will be finishing it as one of the active jets at Latakia.

I am struggling to find BORT numbers that would be suitable. I have seen the following in use there: Red 21, 22, 25, 27.

Does anyone know what other aircraft numbers are operating there and who makes decals that would be suitable? I already have the Authentic Decal sheet 72-58 but no numbers are suitable.

Cheers guys,

Phil

I am building a SU-34 at the moment and will be finishing it as one of the active jets at Latakia.

I am struggling to find BORT numbers that would be suitable. I have seen the following in use there: Red 21, 22, 25, 27.

Does anyone know what other aircraft numbers are operating there and who makes decals that would be suitable? I already have the Authentic Decal sheet 72-58 but no numbers are suitable.

Cheers guys,

Phil

I have thought about that too, but have the same problem as you, struggling to find bort numbers.

Wish someone made bort number decal sheet, with red, blue, white etc numbers on it in 1:72 scale (are you listening Begemot).

Cheers guys,

Phil

Six were originally expected, but only four clearly identified so far, and it seems you've got all four. 21/RF-serial unknown, 22/RF-95818 (could be RF-95005, though), 25/RF-95811, and 27/RF-serial unknown.

Yesterday, Moscow announced it's going to send eight additional Su-34s (plus 4 Su-27Ms) to Syria. That plus today's strike with cruise missiles are an indication of two issues: aircraft already in Syria are too few, but meanwhile also in need of overhauls.

Edited by Tom Cooper