AC-119K Gunship - raining pain * Completed *

Madhatter

This GB is missing one element - a Gunship! So I will attempt to fill that void with this - The 1/72 Italeri AC-119K Gunship

IMG_2017_zpssuqsdfpt.jpg

This kit is pretty old by today's standards, but it seems alright to me with it's raised panel lines etc. It even comes with a replacement sprue for it's one major fault - the tail booms.

When I got it, I was looking through the contents and couldn't work out why there was another sprue in there with the same parts already there. It wasn't until I was looking at some online that I realised why there was 2. For those who don't know, there is a fin on the bottom side of the booms and on the original kit release, only one side of each boom had that fin, so it was very lop sided. Italeri have remedied that and now include the replacement sprue inside. Very nice of them

So, obligatory sprue shots now:

IMG_2011_zpslcam3wr4.jpg

IMG_2012_zpscpbtt2dt.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsujcx2j0o.jpg

IMG_2015_zpszhttho6d.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsjwnpx0l7.jpg

Original kit parts for the tail booms:

IMG_2016_zpsizd0wxtg.jpg

Replacement booms:

IMG_2010_zpsj6bqzfjj.jpg

So as you can see - not many parts, but enough to make it interesting

I mentioned earlier that it has raised lines and the answer to the impending question is "No" - I am not going to re-scribe the entire kit. I am not skilled enough ( :mental:) with a scriber to do that. however, one night with some major Dutch courage in me, I might think about it, but that's probably when I should be hiding the scriber away :analintruder:

I shall be making a start on it tomorrow night

Till then

MH

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 9

I think you'll find the original kit had finned underbooms.

The ones without are the replacement parts.

I remember slicing them off building the transport version.

Both are absolute beauts of kits - that go together really nicely.

I really enjoyed building mine.

Italeri_C-119Stinger_zps9yqf29tf.jpg

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 3

I think you'll find the original kit had finned underbooms.

The ones without are the replacement parts.

I remember slicing them off building the transport version.

Both are absolute beauts of kits - that go together really nicely.

I really enjoyed building mine.

not quite sure what you meant - the original kit parts (2nd from the bottom) show finned bottoms - albeit only one sided, where-as the very bottom pics show both sides as having the fins.

Anyway, yours came out nicely! You don't see too many of these on the boards. It's a shame you can't get better detailed guns though - the kit ones are somewhat ....lack-luster in their appearance. Still, they'll be hidden away inside, so not much point putting too much emphasis on them. I found a few good pictures online of the insides of these and it seems Italeri did alright with the detail supplied

You have made me very happy building this. I have one in the stash that I can't wait to throw together.

Looking forward to seeing it come together.

I have the Italeri B-57G and the raised panel lines don't look too bad to me. Either way I think your model will turn out looking good. Don't know much about this plane and keep thinking of Air America probably because of that movie.

The film Air America had a C-123 Provider. Roden do one in 1:72 which I have. It also comes with Air America decals.

not quite sure what you meant - the original kit parts (2nd from the bottom) show finned bottoms - albeit only one sided, where-as the very bottom pics show both sides as having the fins.

Anyway, yours came out nicely! You don't see too many of these on the boards. It's a shame you can't get better detailed guns though - the kit ones are somewhat ....lack-luster in their appearance. Still, they'll be hidden away inside, so not much point putting too much emphasis on them. I found a few good pictures online of the insides of these and it seems Italeri did alright with the detail supplied

The under fins are for the AC-119. The without are for the C-119 cargo version that Italeri also makes.

As for the guns Quickboost makes resin Miniguns. I'm 99% sure I have seen some M-61 Vulcans out there also but I can't remember who at the moment. I'll comment again if I remember.

Note that the kit nosewheel doors are incorrect for any version of the C-119. With gear down, the open doors are a lot shorter than depicted by the kit parts. If you google for images of the AC-119K you'll see the difference.

I have put together one of the M-61 Vulcans and it was a royal pain but then I don't work with PE so was a learning experience. Though trying to do a 2nd one would make me cringe.

Good choice as I love gunships. Have this one and the AC-47 kit in the stash. Need to get a couple of the AC-130s also.

I have built a few miniguns in 1:35 which are the same. 16 parts not even an inch long. My only advice is don't worry about being neat with the CA glue. Build it, let it dry then scratch the dried residue off the metal with a scalpel blade.

I bought the 1/32 set of barrels for the M60 and none of the bits actually fitted into the holes - so it was a complete waste of money for me

Anyway, very small update. I have begun painting. I really love Alaclad's duralinuminum (spelt wrong but I don't have the bottle handy to get it right) as a colour.

IMG_2019_zpsufgzwf5e.jpg

spent some time drilling out the little holes in the frame for the rear doors

IMG_2024_zps2vejhjtr.jpg

and the metallics are done:

IMG_2027_zps00nykpot.jpg

IMG_2028_zpsicmvxdty.jpg

That's it for now. I shall update again soon

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 4

I have been slugging away at this and before I knew it, I had it all buttoned up and not taken any photos of the interior work I'd done!, opps.....

Never mind - you can barely see it as it is now.

Since taking the below pictures, I have added the nose and wings. Its really looking like a AC119 now. I had no buy paint for it today and of course, the paint shop didn't have the correct colours, so I have custom made some as close to what it looks like in pictures (I hope)

IMG_2041_zpsq7vgum2i.jpg

IMG_2042_zpsbvchycbq.jpg

IMG_2043_zpsyvrgzhyp.jpg

IMG_2044_zpskdgh34jc.jpg

IMG_2045_zpswn8o4jsr.jpg

Lots of big seams to fix up like this one:

IMG_2046_zpsndgocerw.jpg

IMG_2047_zpsqffzjgkk.jpg

that's it for now

thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 6

All the parts are now pretty much attached and it's on with masking the windows etc ready for painting. Really starting to look like an AC-119 now :)

IMG_2048_zpsyecahak2.jpg

IMG_2050_zpscwo0nvwn.jpg

IMG_2051_zpszjmhiq5y.jpg

IMG_2052_zpsiindlugr.jpg

IMG_2055_zpsiuiw6rpc.jpg

IMG_2057_zpsdar87k7w.jpg

IMG_2062_zpsyh8lwcds.jpg

IMG_2066_zps0wejdl2z.jpg

IMG_2067_zpsu26qjwpr.jpg

thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 8

got the black laid down and I am super happy with how that's come out. I used the Mr Surfacer 1500 Black rattle can for the job and I have to say - it is the best rattle can I have ever used. Super smooth and effective - I highly recommend it to anyone to use either for a base coat or an actual colour. The only down side is it's expensive ($18.00au a can- approx 8-10 pounds) but so worth it!

The only other thing is that black is extremely hard to photograph properly :hypnotised:

IMG_2068_zpsuutudkbu.jpg\\

IMG_2070_zps5w0r67uf.jpg

IMG_2069_zpsnhahzjzu.jpg

Once this thunderstorm has passed and it stops raining heavily, I will take it to the shed ready to start the top of it :)

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

thanks mate. Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it too :)

Got the pre-shading done:

IMG_2073_zpsh9hruv01.jpg'

I'm not terribly into pre-shading - more post if I need to, but I wanted to try this technique out to see if it makes any difference. So far it does, but that remains to be seen once the top colours go on

MH

• Like 6

well, the top colours are now on and it's a case of a few small touch ups and it'll be ready for the clear coat, decals and weathering (limited)

IMG_2094_zpsq1a1bwo1.jpg

IMG_2095_zpsbnkzbd0s.jpg

IMG_2097_zpsycwjariq.jpg

IMG_2098_zpsydmpmbmj.jpg

IMG_2099_zpsrnasfqno.jpg

IMG_2101_zpsv41ytgvc.jpg

thanks for looking! :)

MH

• Like 13