MPC/Round 2 22" Eagle Test Shot!

• 3 weeks later...

Preorder prices at Cult TV Man have already risen to 99 USD. I preordered mine at Modellversand Hanke in Germany for 134.99 Euro including shippment (within Germany) - hope it will work. I guess this is the best way to make Revell of Germany rebox this kit in 2017 for 30 Euros :winkgrin: Not that I would mind :analintruder:

Modelling the Eagle of SciFi & Fantasy Modeller is on preorder too btw.

I've pre-ordered one from the States for $95 and they are now saying a Feb release. I'm getting it sent to my cousins Washington and she's going to bring it over (if it arrives before March 21st) when she come home for a holiday.

I've pre-ordered one from the States for $95 and they are now saying a Feb release. I'm getting it sent to my cousins Washington and she's going to bring it over (if it arrives before March 21st) when she come home for a holiday.

This is most likely the cheapest way to get one. Not working for me though :-(

On MPCs blog they say the kits are sent from China by end of November - so they should be on their way: http://www.collectormodel.com/

I quote from that site as it is down freequently (if this is not OK please let me know and I will delete it again):

Space:1999 Models: 22″ Eagle update
posted by JamieH 12:00 PM
Tuesday, November 17, 2015

UPDATE: Kits are due to ship from China by the end of November. No promises that they will land in modelers’ hands by Christmas, but may still reach many of you by the end of the year.

Nov-Eagle-blog-1.jpgNov-Eagle-blog-2.jpgNov-Eagle-blog-4.jpgNov-Eagle-blog-3.jpg

Nearly everyday I get an email or note requesting more info on our exciting new MPC Space:1999 Eagle kit. Quite a bit has happened since my last post and I’m overdue on an update. So here you go. Let’s see… where to start… (...)"

• 4 weeks later...

I've just paid for my Eagle from Cultman.

$142 including postage, which comes out at a whopping $57. I think if I get collared by HMRC I'll break out about even if I'd bought here in the UK.

So looking forward to its arrival, off to Halfords tomorrow to buy all their white primer :)

Graham

I have ordered two of them from the USA - one to build and one for the 'stash'. I also received a 'dispatched' email and I'm hoping that I don't get hit by customs but I am not feeling confident.....! I am also hoping this model will be a big hit and convince them to release some pods and maybe a 1/72 scale version. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

New update on Round2 AMT site: http://www.collectormodel.com/

The first production run is currently shipped to customers and distributers. A second and third production is already ordered.

There are some errors in the first run - but none that is not easy to fix. These errors will be no more existing from the second run. I suppose these minor issues are more interesting to collectors than to builders...

René

Edit: Maybe it is a good idea to quote the update in the link above here as it contains some information on the things to fix on the first production kits:

"MPC Models: The Eagles Have Landed
posted by JamieH 11:20 AM
Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Blog-pic-1-12-16.jpg

Word of our new MPC Eagle kits landing in modelers hands started trickling in late last week. Orders are still in the mail to some, so stay patient if yours hasn’t arrived yet. I just wanted to take a quick minute for a quick post. Let’s start with some “bad” news…

The metal accessory parts are at least a month behind. The factory is making sure that they weed out and metal bells with visible flaws. At the price the sets will be going for, we want them to be flawless. Only a few people have seen them first hand. I actually don’t have a full set myself other than the one installed on our buildup. But everyone that has seen them will attest to how magnificent they look.

Speaking of flaws… with as much energy as we put into the kit, nothing can be considered perfect. I’m going to be up front and fill you in on the handful of things to keep an eye out for if you are a discriminating modeler.

1. One point the factory misinterpreted in their final clean up was the presence of two “teeth” on the trailing edge of the command module halves. The presence of them would allow the main pod shell to grip onto the back wall without the need for cement. Unfortunately these were removed on accident and are not present on the first production run of kits. This has already been corrected on the tooling so subsequent production runs will have this feature. Part-E1-pins.jpg
  2. During the tool polishing stage, the factory got a bit carried away on the port windshield part causing a bit of a wave in it which gives a bit of distortion when looking through it. The tool is being reworked to correct this as well. MPC825-PART-S102-NOTE.jpg
  3. There are pins present on the back side of the CM sensor dishes. These pins are oriented at an incorrect angle. This will get fixed later on too. MPC825-PART-P6-NOTE-11-4.jpg
  4. Two errors were present in the data we sent to the factory that was used to create the model. Correcting these problems was problematic as it would require substantial tool work for the very slightest amount of change. the first error is the depth of the RCS thruster housing. They are 1mm too deep. MPC825-PART-65-NOTE.jpg
  5. The second error was not noticed until just recently. The nozzles on the loose Gemini domes should have been either A) been fudged a bit so one part could be used in every application or B) had lefts and rights made on the tool. Sadly this wasn’t the case so now the “lean” (the angle is fairly slight) in the wrong direction in some cases. Screen-Shot-2016-01-12-at-9.45.jpg
  6. Lastly, The screws that are included in the kit are not “self tappers” so you will need to use a drill bit or another instrument to create a hole in the top of the passenger pod roof. Don’t make it too big obviously…

In the big scheme of things these are all very small things. But I figured I should stay as straight forward as I always try to be.

Now some good news… that some might think is bad…

I mentioned that we were making corrections where reasonably feasible on the problem areas I mentioned so the kit is more “right” when we do subsequent production runs. As of this writing we are very nearly sold through (that means from our warehouse, not necessarily at the retail level) on the first batch of Eagle kits. A second batch was already on order some time ago, but we don’t expect those kits to arrive until later this month. In fact, we’ve placed a third order to follow behind that one as sales have been very brisk. So, that means if you want yours soon, but you haven’t ordered one you should do it now or you may end up having to wait a bit until more fill the distribution lines.

Further good news is that our friends over at Sci-Fi Fantasy Modeler have launched their digital publication program. Be sure to check them out to get some free digital content now, while new stuff like the Eagle special will be coming soon. I also understand they will be making back issues available digitally as well. So check them out and keep an eye out for more from them. Read the yellow section at this link to find out more details.

http://www.scififantasymodeller.co.uk/English/welcome.php

Not to introduce brand confusion (read the title closely) we got word this morning of a new sci-fi oriented website that looks pretty promising so far. Check out the link below and look for the 1:350 scale U.S.S. Constellation article. Looks pretty great.

http://scifiantasy.com/

While I’m talking up websites/forums/online modeler gatherings I wanted to mention a fan group on Facebook that has been very supportive of the Eagle kit. If you aren’t already a member, do a Facebook search for “Space: 1999 Props & Ships” to see what Todd Morton and a ton of other kind S:1999 fans from all over the world are talking about.

Lastly, we know a lot of people have been asking why our own model kit website hasn’t been updated recently. Fear not. Attention has turned to developing an all-new website that will host all of Round 2’s product lines. It is a complicated endeavor that a limited few of our staff have been handling for several months. There is still a lot of work, redirecting and updating to do before we start using it. Round2models.com as you know it will stay active until everything is up and running on the new site.

Onward into 2016…!"

• Like 1

Mine has been dispatched from Hobbylinc in the US - I'd put in a pre-order about 6 months ago and the discount on that will offset the postage (and potential customs ransom demand) so I'll probably end up paying the same as if buying it from a UK retailer, except I will have it sooner...

Mine's currently been stuck in HM Customs and Extortion for longer than it took to get from Cultman! :(

Graham

Bad news - I have been hit before with custom charges on one item and not on another of similar value. Very weird.

Sites in the US were offering them for pre-order for about $80-$90 - I got mine from Hobbylinc for $82 (=£57). Postage knocks that up a bit more so I'm hoping HMRC misses it :)

I hope you have better luck than me - I've been stiffed, though don't know how much yet :(

Graham

Got the bill this morning - £23.91 :( :( :(

To be fair I'm not really complaining, I knew before ordering I might get collared.

I hope you have better luck than me - I've been stiffed, though don't know how much yet :(

Graham

Got the bill this morning - £23.91 :( :( :(

To be fair I'm not really complaining, I knew before ordering I might get collared.

That's not too bad. I got a bill for a similar amount for a model from Japan that had only cost me $15 including shipping. The cheeky buggers had marked the price on the invoice paperwork as something in the region of 15,000 Yen for insurance purposes. I shan't be using TokyoOtakuMode again, that's for sure.

Edited by Blastvader

Tracking says mine has left left Heathrow and is "in transit to destination" so I'm hoping this means HMRC missed it!

Humph!!! Mine shows that it's still waiting for me to cough up :( :( :(

Graham