MPC/Round 2 22" Eagle Test Shot!

Hey guys, long time no post. Thought I would chime in with a first look at the Round 2/MPC 22" Eagle test shot from Space: 1999. I was able to obtain one through a combination of modelling luck and skill and I am currently working on it. But before I started I went ahead and shot some pictures of it and also posted an unboxing video on Youtube. CultTVman just posted my images yesterday (the article includes a link to the video), so I decided to post a link to it here so you guys can check it out. Take a close look at some of the photos and you can see both Revell and Airfix influences in some of the parts (the model is exactly 1/2 scale to the 44" studio models built for the show).

I know it is pricey to get it across the pond when it comes out in a few months. But, the wait is worth it IMHO as this looks like a first class kit. Round 2 is also doing a lathed aluminium engine bell set for it, but in my case since I only have the plastic bits, I am going to have a go at seeing how well I can do with some Alclad Polished Aluminium. Enjoy!

http://culttvman.com/main/sneak-peak-round-2s-space-1999-22-inch-eagle-by-jay-chladek/

• Like 2

That look superb, definitely on on my radar.

My only concern is that they appear to have introduced a potential weak area by moulding the longitudinal members of the spinal frame in two halves rather than one length. I'm currently modding the Airfix/MPC Eagle and I have had to cut my frame in half to correct the length and am a bit worried about strength at that size - never mind an Eagle twice as long...

Karl

Strength should not be a problem at all, provided you use a good quality plastic weld glue on them or a rubber toughened CA glue (if you have to go with CA, plastic weld is clearly the better option though IMHO). These long members have a nice slot system designed into them to allow them to align properly with plenty of a surface area for the glue to soak in. Modifying an Airfix Eagle spine to shorter length results in a butt-join arrangement with very little contact surface which can indeed cause a bit of weakness if not assembled right.

When the spine gets built, if all the joints are glued properly than the stress levels should be fine going through the four center weld joints (with the crossmembers evenly distributing the load). You also won't have the passenger pod hanging from the spine either, unlike the Airfix kit as instead the attachment will be held on like the 44" studio models with a screw on lug that rests the weight of the pod onto the front and rear cages. Once that pod is in place, that should help make the spine more rigid and keep it from flexing too far front to back and give the Eagle design its strength.

Detaching the pod will admittedly put more stress on the spine, so one just has to be careful there. But in this case, having all the structures molded in styrene rather than resin or diecast metal (in the case of the P.E. Eagles) will also help keep the weight down quite a bit.

Edited by JMChladek
  • Like 1

Import duties are -

3% import duty on toys

20% VAT on the cost of the item + import duty + shipping cost

Plus a fee for the shipping company to pay the tax! In the past I've paid £7.95-13.45 from Parcel Farce and £10 from TNT and UPS for this.

• Like 1

Do any of the retailers who post here dabble in sci-fi?

I dabble in SF. Assuming I can get them in I plan to do the Eagle for £115, exclusive of P+P. I hope I can get them; I want one myself!

I am happy to take pre-orders. Let me know if you're interested.

Well that's £14 cheaper than Hannants, could be interested. Can you get a price for the accesory engine bell set as well?

Thanks Niall and M.

If Amazon.com do decide to stock it that might be useful.

It is a niche item we have to accept I suppose.

Do any of the retailers who post here dabble in sci-fi?

I'm looking to bring a batch into the UK. Will know more in a few weeks.

Paul

• Like 2

I've got one on pre-order from the US for $82 (=£53) so import duty, postage and the Royal Mail blackmail tax will really have to try hard to get that price up to what UK retailers are asking for this kit! Who is being ripped off here?

• Like 1