Heller 1/50 SA330 Puma

Started this kit, a Heller 1/50 SA330 Puma. Lots to be done due to the following:
1) Fuselage is warped.
2) very basic kit.
3) It is an old kit so the parts have a lot of flash on them - plenty of cleaning up.
The interior is built separate and slid into position once completed. Then the canopy is glued into position.
Undecided whether to do it as a French, RAF or SAAF model. If SAAF will have to make decals.
PA023380_zpsmywszrgt.jpg
PA023381_zpsbsapksuy.jpg
PA023382_zpse3udxrrw.jpg
PA023383_zpsq3zptgsb.jpg
PA023384_zpszsypzpny.jpg
  • Like 7

I like your Puma never knew this kit existed I done the 1/32 Matchbox one many years ago wish someone would bring a new tool 1/48 or 1/32 RAF Puma out !

Will be keep an eye on this one.

Guy

• Like 1

I'd forgotten this kit existed. Great to see you working on it. The RAF option gets my vote from personal experience of the real thing but it's your model to do with as you please. Are you adding internal and external detail?

Have already made a ceiling and installed it in the cabin area. Might open the air intakes and scratch build parts for them. Externally will be doing basic details such as cabin steps, tail boom warning arm, antennas.

Re colour scheme and country markings - still undecided.

• Like 1

Boscombe Down, red, white and blue scheme would look pretty cool!

Martin

Does anyone have any photos of the Puma in the Boscombe Down colour scheme?

• 2 weeks later...
Some more work done on the Puma - Interior installed, Cockpit and canopy installed, Rotor started (main and tail), Air intakes drilled out, Air vent at the rear of the motor housing drilled out, Tail warning skid scratch built and installed.

Still got the main compartment door steps to scratch build and install.

So far I have had problems lining up the sponsons as no alignment holes on the kit. Also the tail is slightly out of alignment due to the warping.

Filler has been used on the upper and lower fuselage as well as where the sponsons join the fuselage. Plenty of filing.

The main compartment is stuffed with tissue at present and will be until the camo scheme is completed.

PA133391_zpsilylrx6z.jpg

PA133390_zpssrnpsuqh.jpg

PA133389_zpsquq96x1p.jpg

PA133388_zpsedwco1t7.jpg

PA133387_zpsvtnsqvjo.jpg

PA133386_zpsp9cn7zbn.jpg

PA133385_zpswcaw30e8.jpg

Taken a while due to health problems.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Gregair. There has been some progress.

Was waiting for some decent photos of the Puma when they were delivered to the SAAF. Got some and have done in overall olive green. Just got to make a few decals.

Will post more pics on the weekend.

Still need to scratch build and install the main cabin steps.

External antennas now fitted ( one above the rear cabin roof and one under the pilots lowest window).

Edited by vulcanxm603

That's great news, I look forward to seeing it.

I received one of these kits yesterday...its going to be a tough build, you have done a great job on it.

C'mon Airfix....how about a new 1/48 Puma.....and Wasp, Gazelle, Alouette III etc etc :popcorn:

Some pics of the work in progress.

As well as the items mentioned earlier in the thread, I need to cut out the underside rear window (at present it is a domed piece of solid platic) and install a clear plastic piece. Main rotor blades cut straight at the end of the blade.

P5253432_zpstuquwxya.jpg

P5253431_zpslvpxfl6t.jpg

P5253430_zpsicijp93s.jpg

P5253429_zpsletrjysl.jpg

P5253428_zpsttbxqldk.jpg

P5253427_zpsg0feimo5.jpg

P5253426_zps3idkzb15.jpg

• Like 1

I had the same problem with the canopy.

It was either use plastic card on the front of the fuselage to widen the fuselage, or fit the canopy and emery the joint down. I did the later.

Paint used for the Green was rattle can Humbrol Acrylic Light Olive (No 86).

The steel sections are done using Vallejo Acrylic Natural Steel paint.

Nice work ! Think I will have to keep an eye out for this kit will sit nice with my Gazelle.

Guy

That's a very tidy build of an attractive chopper. I would buy a new tool 1/48 kit in a heartbeat.

I've never seen this kit, let alone built, so I'll be very interested to see it built. What is the surface detail like - I'm assuming raised.

Trevor

That's a very tidy build of an attractive chopper. I would buy a new tool 1/48 kit in a heartbeat.

I've never seen this kit, let alone built, so I'll be very interested to see it built. What is the surface detail like - I'm assuming raised.

Trevor

The surface detail is raised but only very faintly.

• Like 1