1/72 P-51D Revell

Note: I mislabeled the title with the wrong scale, this is the 1/48 kit not the 1/72.

First attempt at modelling and airbrushing. Definitely learned a lot along the way. I need to work on filling and sanding next time, and my paint color choices are off in some areas[ tires, prop, anti-glare, etc...]. I kind of used this as a test-bed and a practice kit since it was so cheap.

This was an attempt at a 1/48 scale version of "The Brat III", using Revell's P-51D kit, however after some research I discovered no one makes a decal set for that airframe. Some of the markings are therefore missing or incorrect, but like I stated above it was more of a practice kit than anything.

The gear doors have been left up due to the flaps being molding up, indicating hydraulic pressure still in the system.

I look forward to any criticism and critique you all have to offer.

20151002_111028_zpsqkibgdw0.jpg

20151002_111010_zpsstjg7bh3.jpg

20151002_111058_zpsa4o88hjr.jpg

20151002_111127_zpshcwn6ipc.jpg

20151002_111401_zpsuccibrvj.jpg

Edited by racer53
  • Like 22

Real good first attempt! The paint finish is great and there's a hint of pre-shading of panel lines to break the one-tone scheme. The masking of the canopy was also very well done.

Looking forward to your future builds :)

Congrats :goodjob:

Jaime

• 1 month later...

That´s really the old rivetted Revell 1/72 P-51d Mustang? It makes me consider to give that old model an chanse after all...

Amazing jobb! Good Looking Mustang!

// André B.

That´s really the old rivetted Revell 1/72 P-51d Mustang? It makes me consider to give that old model an chanse after all...

Amazing jobb! Good Looking Mustang!

// André B.

I was asking myself the same thing, the one now called Cookie that first came out in the early 60's?

Very nice build of an old and notoriously bad kit, well done.

Concerning Revell's "Cookie" - another build on IPMS Stockholm. Just out of the box by an beginner...

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7389&start=10

//André B.

I built "Cookie" myself a few years back to experiment with alclad on, I won't hijack this thread with my pictures though. I don't understand how this kit has survived.

I built "Cookie" myself a few years back to experiment with alclad on, I won't hijack this thread with my pictures though. I don't understand how this kit has survived.

I agree with you. It´s amazing how Racer53 ended up with that kit. One wonder if it really is that old Revell kit...

I agree with you. It´s amazing how Racer53 ended up with that kit. One wonder if it really is that old Revell kit...

I don't think it can be the old Revell kit we are thinking off, look at the open canopy, over all shape,surface detail and scoop.

Edited by old thumper

I don't think it can be the old Revell kit we are thinking off, look at the open canopy, over all shape,surface detail and scoop.

And what about the shape of the tale around the spinfin? It isn´t the same tale as the rivetted Revell kit on IPMS Stockholm,

There are rivets following the wing roots and the spinfin I cant recognice from any other kit. And what about the spinner?

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

After seeing the questions about the kit I went back and checked.

This is actually the Revell 1/48 scale P-51D kit.[see Below] Not the 1/72 scale "Cookie" kit.

My humble apologies for getting the scale wrong :oops: , the thread will be edited accordingly.

As for the kit itself everything fit together pretty well, and the detail was fairly good for a cheap purchase price.

REV-855241-2.jpg

Edited by racer53
  • Like 1