'Paper points' for Nozzle Cleaning

CedB

In one of Paul Budzik's great videos he mentioned using dental 'paper points' to clean your nozzles and I thought I'd give them a go.

Like most medical supplies they're cheap (IMHO). I bought mine here for just over £4 and for that you get a nice plastic box with 6 smaller boxes of 34 points (why 34??) that will also set off your 'Ooh, those'll come in handy' modeller's gene:

Paper points by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

21700061090_94a3d27924_c.jpg

Paul kindly replied to my PM and suggested size 30 for my 0.2mm nozzle and size 60 for 0.4mm. I've tried them today and, as you can see on the lower one (small black blob), they certainly clear out the gunk that other things can't reach.

Note that if you soak the point in cleaner they're useless - they're designed to soak up... well, you probably don't want to know... so put some cleaner in the nozzle and use the point dry just twisting it a bit as you go.

Recommended! :)

• Like 10

Hi Rick

I couldn't find a 'decode' of sizes to real measurement but the size 30 just poked through my 0.2mm so I guess 40 or 50 for .3?

Only guessing I'm afraid. That said, at £4 a box you could try a few :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As an alternative, I've been using a rolled up corner of a sheet of kitchen roll for the same job (bit of spit on you fingers helps with point rolling). Works fine, won't damage the nozzle (Iwata hp-cs), and will take a modest amount of thinner. I usually use a liner type brush soaked in thinner to clean up first, then the kitchen roll point to dry/clean up. Bearing in mind you get four per sheet, they last for many cleans and the rest of the sheet can be used for cleaning needles, etc, and it adds up to a bit of a bargain in I think.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 10/2/2015 at 7:45 AM, CedB said:

I bought mine here for just over £4

When I click that link the site just shows the error: 

Sorry this website is not available in your country. Opera Mini browser is not supported. No access is allowed to VPS or dodgy domain hosting servers.

Using Chrome from Canada. 😕

Sorry to hear that J, it's working from the UK - the site is www.dentaleq.com so try that, or just search for 'Dental paper points' and you should find a local supplier?

• Like 1