New book on NEI Army Aviation Corps aircraft

Peter Boer

The book did not, to me, contain new photos, although I've got a lot of ML-KNIL stuff. If you're looking for photos, the various Dutch Decal books (including the hopefully soon upcoming ML-KNIL Camouflage and Markings book) are more what you're after.

That said, this book is priceless. Peter Boer has for years been tracking information on the ML-KNIL but most of his previous works (like Luchtstrijd om Indie) are in Dutch and are, even with a Cassell's dictionary, hard to plow through.

Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies rectifies that problem for readers limited to English. It covers in detail all the preparations and actions of the ML-KNIL, as well as individual histories of each of the aircraft of that air arm, where knowable. A summary of paint schemes and markings relevant to each type is included. The depth of research is suggested by more than 50 pages of endnotes.

This is THE book, at least in English, on the ML-KNIL, and a real labor of love by the author. And like most Dutch books I've come across, get it now. They tend to evaporate before too long and then command serious second-hand prices. A copy of the original Camouflage en Kentekens, for example, is now listing for $250.00 (£193.00) in the U.S.

Edited by jimmaas
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I can't tell where you are from, so I'll assume the UK.  Amazon.co.uk lists a copy (sent from the Netherlands, I think) at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aircraft-Netherlands-Indies-crisis-february/dp/9067076856

It is still around at a couple of sources, but as with many books from the Netherlands, get it or it will be gone.

As you wait for the book to become available again, you may want to seek out Peter's earlier book "The Loss of Java" which will put a lot of the information contained in Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies into an operational and campaign context. I was privileged to be able to read this volume whilst sitting in my office in Lembang overlooking the Ciater Pass (a key location in the story of the fall of Java) so it really put the whole Java campaign into context.

http://www.cortsfoundation.org/en/publications/38-the-loss-of-java

• 1 year later...

Many thanks for the information and references.  I'm trying to research the use by the ML-KNIL of Fokker D.XXI aircraft, and it's like trying to find hen's teeth.  I'll try to obtain the books you referenced.  They are most likely the only references available.  Thanks again.