1/72 Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero

G'day people,

Here are the pics of my completed Zero. I bought this one for just $10 Aussie from Aldi when they had a few of these on spesh recently.

002_zps0jtc5zho.jpg

001_zpsfnrhh1xj.jpg

003_zpsjrbqd3ak.jpg

004_zpsecrphay3.jpg

006_zpsgllprbed.jpg

007_zps72lcr7vz.jpg

008_zpsw8a4vlsd.jpg

012_zpspurpakza.jpg

This is one of Airfix's recent newly tooled kits and it went together in just a few evenings. The fit was great, the instructions were very clear and the decals were great.

I kept it mostly unmodified, however I replaced the driver with a better resin item (not that he is all that visible) and displaced the elevators to give a little life.

001%203_zpsgtt6voji.jpg

006_zpsjnpiddrq.jpg

I would have liked to have the ailerons displaced as well but that would have required a great deal more surgery so I left it alone.

002_zpso8j7ivoy.jpg

The kit pitot probe was also replaced with a new item fashioned from brass tube and hypo tube. Finally the base consists if a plastic disc with some ally tubing for the stand.

A brief WIP can be found here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989304-mitsubishi-a6m2b-zero/

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 39

Lovely model, Airfix really are coming up trumps. If anyone is interested in Zeros have a look at a Japanese film called "The Imortal Zero" on Netflix. Very very good film from a different perspective than normal and the CGI is fantastic, can't wait for the new Dam Busters film if CGI has got so good.

Congratulations Pappy..I see you have the panel behind the pilot in the correct color. Excellent work. A detail missed by many great modelers. :goodjob:

Congratulations Pappy..I see you have the panel behind the pilot in the correct color. Excellent work. A detail missed by many great modelers. :goodjob:

G'day Les,

Thanks, but I have to admit that I was given some helpful advice from fellow forum members,

cheers,

Pappy

A nice weathered small Zero.

Cheap new airfix tool is so good as more expensive made in japan ones.

G'day Kira,

Totally agree, the kit is great OOB, and it also provides a good basis for detailed kit. If I was to build another, I would use the kit option for folded wingtips.

cheers,

Pappy

Nice build. :thumbsup2: Did you mix your own colour?

Nup. It is Tamiya IJN grey straight from the bottle. I then added a few drops of white and lightened a panel here and there,

cheers,

Pappy

Brilliant, model Zero.

Well displayed on a very clever stand, too.

Regards

Dave

G'day Dave,

Thanks very much,

cheers,

Pappy

Great work Pappy. Looks right with just spinner and no blades at this scale.

G'day Andrew,

Thanks very much. I had to fill the holes in the spinner that the blades would stick out of to give the impression of a moving spinner, but otherwise it was quite painless. i did experiment with clear acetate discs and prop blue effects, but in the end, I decided I liked the clean look of just the spinner best,

cheers,

Pappy