Need some German kit advice for BoB subjects.

Harrier/ViperFan

I am thinking of getting a few german subjects for my BoB collection. But as said before WW2 is not really my thing so i do not actually know whats worth getting and what is worth avoiding.

Ok first:

BF 109E-3/4 in 1/48

I seen mixed reviews on both the Airfix and Eduard new tools while the Hasegawa hardcore fans say thats the only way.

JU 87B in 1/48

I saw the Airfix on King Kit for £7.99 but other than that kit no idea.

He 111 in 1/72 and 1/32.

Now i saw the revell 1/32 kit cheap which i am really tempted by but otherwise it be 1/72 again i only know of the Airfix new tooled and Revell.

Not sure anyone does a 1/48 BF 110 and JU 88 that fits BoB?

Edited by Harrier/ViperFan

I can write numerous pages on the Heinkel 1/32 kit. What do you want to know?

If you want it to be authentic-looking on the inside, find another subject or prepare for massive scratchbuilding. Eduard's Big Ed set helps re. cockpit but bomb bay is a disappointment and I won't be using Eduard's parts. Bomb is 90% invisible though, so how well would you like that to be detailed and authentic? In any case, the bomb bay as delivered by Revell is simply ridiculous. See here:

12880896034_98473f0deb_b.jpg

Seems they got the holes slightly wrong. If you'll install those bomb racks you'll notice that half of the holes will disappear beneath the floor.

Bomb bay seems to be the biggest flaw of the kit. For cockpit I'd definitely advise purchasing Eduard's PE set.

If you want to build a nice kit into a great looking model OOB and accuracy is not on top of your priority list, the 1/32 Revell Heinkel is a great choice. Also, if you are mainly interested in exterior accuracy, the Revell kit does a great job in that field as well.

Totally FWIW ...

1/48 Bf 109E: You can get a decent BoB model (E-1, E-3 and/or E-4 depending on the kit) out of Airfix, Eduard, Hasegawa or Tamiya, but my personal choice would be the Tamiya E-3.

1/48 Ju 87 B-2: There are basically three choices: Airfix (1980s vintage but not terrible, raised rivet detail, lacking in detail compared to the next two); Hasegawa (long the standard with probably the crispest molding/detail, also re-boxed by Revell); and Italeri (most recent, pretty well reviewed, at least one area -- flapperons -- better representations than Hasegawa, re-boxed by Tamiya). The only one I've ever built was the Hasegawa, which I liked okay. Again, you can probably get at least a decent model out of any of the three.

1/72 He 111: Since Airfix has just released a new-tool kit, that would probably be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

Build wise all the 109 kits mentioned are worthy contender's Tamiya fall's together,Airfix did a silly thing with the separate wing leading edge flap's

where the sprue attachment points are but with care in the cutting off isn't a major issue. Eduard's can by fiddly in places and the engine is useless

if you want the cover on but is my favorite and for about £13 for the weekend edition is great value for money.If you fancy a practice kit try KK,s

Airfix Stuka for the price I,m on my third here,s the first one

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985044-stuka/

and Eduard's weekend 109 Trop.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985152-african-eagle-me109-trop/

For Bf110's Eduard would be the way to go if you get the C/D issue, can be a little fiddly around the engine nacelles but nothing that anyone with a couple of kits under their belt can't deal with.

I'd go with Eduard for the 109 as well, a fun build with lots of detail but any of the previously mentioned manufacturer's 109s will do the job. I enjoyed the Airfix 109 too but it is a bit clunky and toylike compared to the Tamiya or Eduard kits.

Duncan B

Well i picked up the eduard E-4 Profi pack for £16 the Airfix Stuka for £7.99.

As for the He 111 i am not sure what to do. I like the idea of a big 111. I am not bothered about bomb bay as it won't be seen, just the parts that will be seen like cockpit, front area.. I am not really a rivet counter if it right mark and looks like the subject i am happy bunny. Only thing i hate about revell, (not there fault it the law in germany) is the decal side, Swastikas. Like I said it's law their. I had thought about getting the 1/32 then getting a load of AM and doing it up fancy like, but not sure yet.

• Like 1

I would be careful if choosing the Eduard Bf 110 in 1/48 as its a kit that needs a lot of time to construct well . Much of this time will be needed to rest your brain after assembly sequences that involve gluing 5 parts together to make what every other kit manufacturer moulds in 1 part .

Dont get me wrong it will produce a fine , highly detailed end result but as you have only one month left i would not recomend it.

The Cyber hobby kit would be doable in the time and you get the engines .

Alistair

• Like 1

Re. 1/32 swastikas, Xtradecal provides them and they cost about 5 pounds, see here for example.

Based on what you're writing I think I can safely recommend you the Heinkel 111 H or P kit. As regards aftermarket I'd definitely go for a cockpit set (as everything will be very visible, it's a greenhouse). The rest won't be 100% necessary. You'll still have a quite cheap kit combi that should look great once finished.

If you want to buy a load of AM, like you say, it naturally will enhance the looks but it won't be cheap. You can spend up to about 300 pounds in kit+AM for this plane if you are really eager to use everything available (if still available).

Again, my advise would be: buy the kit + cockpit detail set, you won't be disappointed.

I've all four brands of the Emils mentioned (either built or in the stash), and in my personal opinion, Tamiya is probably the best overall when considering all categories. Airfix main drawback is the heavy engraved panel lines when compared to the others. Hasegawa is slightly sparse in some surface detail and has the exhausts molded as part of the fuselage (at least the E-1 is like this, not sure with the later variants). Eduard's kit is based on their 1/32 boxing, so it inherited the same criticisms people had, only in a smaller scale. It has a great looking engine, but the covers don't fit over it.

A more detailed comparison can be found here, listing pros and cons of all four:

http://www.ipmsvagabonds.com/page3/page44/page44.html

regards,

Jack

Thanks guys, I think I pick up a Tamiya E-3 as well. I have put the italeri Stuka on my Christmas list as well as few other kits I want.

@Roy thanks for the advice I get just the cockpit then with the kit. Is it worth getting brass barrels for the guns or are the kit ones ok?

Again thank you all for the help you have given me here on this subject.

For a Bf-110 the Dragon Bf 110 D-1 has all the parts needed for a C version. All you would need is a copy of the C version instruction sheet (someone could send you a scanned copy as a PDF file), and the appropriate decal.

This Dragon kit is usually quite cheap as its not a popular version