1/144 Airfix Airbus A300 - South African Airways

So I have finally managed to complete my A300 in the old SAA colours. This was probably one of the most pleasant Airfix kits I've built to date despite its age.

As with most Airfix kits I still had to do quite a bit of work to correct some problems, especially the shape of the nose and I had to scratch build some parts that Airfix forgot to add.

Painting was done using Revell Acrylics, finished off with two coats of future floor.

Because no decals exist for this scheme I had to airbrush the cheatline on. This was a first for me as most sets include the cheatline. The rest of the decals were a combination from authentic Airliners, MAV and Draw decals.

The engines were covered with bare metal aluminium foil and alclad II.

All in all this was a very enjoyable kit. Its a real shame they are so hard to find these days....

As always, any comments and critics are welcome :)

SAM_0626_zpsm7csa95j.jpg

SAM_0636_zpsj7pwm0o5.jpg

SAM_0639_zpsak7wtkbp.jpg

SAM_0631_zpsw0s6g758.jpg

SAM_0627_zpscxqhxyto.jpg

Edited by speedbird340
  • Like 22

Wow. She is a beauty. All the extra touches you have here - the deployed flaps, green nav light, the weathering across the wings, bare metal foil ( how difficult is that? ) - the engines actually look as if they have been used. Those Authentic Airliners window decals do really add a lot don't they, really eye catching.

Now, how about a shot of the Suid - Afrikaanse Lugdiens side? Did not realize, until now, the Springbok has been left off the fuselage titles with this scheme.

Just before we left SA in late 1976, I flew down to Cape town for a week. The A300 had just been delivered to SAA, but as it turns out, my trip was a few weeks before it entered service. Was the first time in my life I was actually juggling schedules / picking flights based on the aircraft, but my timing meant the old 727 for that trip.

On the way down, there was the stop in Kimberley. December, baking SA summer, and the cargo hatch jammed, so we sat in this oven on the plane for 30 minutes until things got sorted. Two weeks later, a Delta L10-11 from Detroit to Atlanta, with a stop in Cincinnati, January US winter, bordering on a blizzard conditions, a cargo hatch jammed, and we sat in this fridge on this plane for also about 30 minutes til it got sorted. Turns out, I now know how long it takes to deal with a stuck cargo hatch!

Some more pics would not be amiss.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

A thing of sheer beauty! Isn't amazing how these old Airfix kits can turn out? I love the attention to detail with the control surfaces in the correct position when not hydraulically powered, the windows as Mike says, are brilliant and she just looks stunning!

• Like 1

I really like this! Beautiful, crisp finish and 'in scale' shine on the fuselage. That's some sharp masking for the cheatlines!

You've done a good job on the nose, it's not far off out of the box but enough to notice, so well worth correcting.

Love the nmf on the engines too! And the AA windows and windscreen decals really bring it to life don't they?

Keep 'em coming!

Ian

• Like 1

Wow - you really have done this old timer a lot of credit - is that really the old Airfix kit under the paint and decals??

So far as the corrections are concerned (to which I don't declare myself to be an Airbus expert on) I can certainly see how you have fine tuned this old girl.

I've got one of the original Air France runs in my 1/144 stash and I was wondering if it will ever be built - seeing this fine work of yours certainly is encouraging.

Great work all round there

John

• Like 1

Thank you so much for all the kind comments. It really is encouraging and motivates one to strive for better....

Love the nmf on the engines too! And the AA windows and windscreen decals really bring it to life don't they?

I must admit, it makes a big difference to the overall outcome and look of the aircraft. The AA decals basically brings it to "life".

As for the engines, they were a bit tricky to get covered in foil with all the curves and shapes, but managed after a few trail runs to get the hang off it.

Wow. She is a beauty. All the extra touches you have here - the deployed flaps, green nav light, the weathering across the wings, bare metal foil ( how difficult is that? ) - the engines actually look as if they have been used. Those Authentic Airliners window decals do really add a lot don't they, really eye catching.

Now, how about a shot of the Suid - Afrikaanse Lugdiens side? Did not realize, until now, the Springbok has been left off the fuselage titles with this scheme.

I completely forgot to take shots from the other side as well.... my mistake, will try and get some up in the morning...

Love all your stories of days gone by Mike. I really do have fond memories of the old Jan Smuts looking at these orange tails from the viewing deck as a kid. Always dreamt of flying for SAA one day.... (Sadly the door has been shut on us and were forced to look elsewhere)

• Like 1

:wow: No critics needed here.

Just one word for this Airbus...Masterpiece

After my first attempt of weathering on my DC-6 build,this Airbus of yours gives me the drive to try it as well on a modern airliner.

Always liked the old South African C/S.

A class act :gobsmacked::mike:

• Like 1

• 9 months later...