MkI Spitfire fuselage flare tube

doorgunner

Hello, I am realizing a Mk I Spitfire as WZ-T during the famous Duxford display in 1939 and I wonder if that planes were equipped with the fuselage flare tube close to the tail assembly right side.

I checked the pilot notes and it is written that a flare tube is installed in the said position, used in case of forced Landing.

I saw this item as a hole in Mk Vs, and spotted it on the Cosford MkI Spitfire.

My question is if the Duxford's lined up planes were equipped with such device or not. I am not able to detect it.

Was it there ? Was it covered by a doped fabric patch ?

TIA

regards

Maurizio

Hi Maurizio

The flare tubes pre-Mk V were behind the pilots seat and exited through the belly of the plane.

Edgar has posted some great info and photos of these on this forum. If I was more tech savvy I'd post links but sadly I am not. Perhaps others can, but a search of this forum should get you the info.

HTH

PR

Originally the flare chute on the starboard fuselage towards the tail was for firing a recognition signal, it was moved after the early MkIs I think.

Edgar will be along soon I'm sure with the dates of all the modifications and a comprehensive answer.

Hello, I am realizing a Mk I Spitfire as WZ-T during the famous Duxford display in 1939 and I wonder if that planes were equipped with the fuselage flare tube close to the tail assembly right side.

I checked the pilot notes and it is written that a flare tube is installed in the said position, used in case of forced Landing.

I saw this item as a hole in Mk Vs, and spotted it on the Cosford MkI Spitfire.

My question is if the Duxford's lined up planes were equipped with such device or not. I am not able to detect it.

Was it there ? Was it covered by a doped fabric patch ?

TIA

regards

Maurizio

Hopefully this should help, the opening was covered by a flap, which you can see with the line of dashes around the edge.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/hkins/Alans%20Planes/102_0052.jpg

Regards

Alan

"Two chutes for landing flares" were fitted, as visible in that photo, from September 1936, and the launching was improved from July 1940.

One tube was deleted, on the Mark V, in November 1941; I've no idea when the other was deleted.

14-6-40 an "automatic recognition device" (rather like a Colt six-gun, minus handle and barrel) was fitted, set to fire downwards, roughly level with the position of the starboard access hatch. This was removed, and replaced in the fuselage spine, so as to fire upwards, in April 1941.

13-6-40 a "means of draining the fuselage" was introduced, which could, quite simply, be the hole near the tail wheel. It's much too far back to be the automatic recognition device.