'Dog fight double' Spitfire v Heinkel Part 2

Hi Guys,

since I'm finally able to start this topic, no prizes for guessing that it means a Heinkel has arrived, however........

001_zpsth4u5ub3.jpg

........ possibly not the one you were expecting and, if I'm honest, not the one I was planning!. The continuing non-appearance of an Airfix P2 means that this is getting a run-out as a very late substitute.

It's certainly not a 'bad' kit and despite having 'H-6' plastered all over the box, it's a straight forward job to back-date to a BoB appropriate H-1 or -2. The biggest stumbling block may prove to be decals, which is madness, really, since there are so many sets available for Blitzkrieg/BoB Ju-88A-1's when there has never been a plastic A-1 in 1/72!

Another issue could have been the lack of crew, but by luck, in preparation for next years Ju-88 STB, I ordered this at the same time

002_zpsf3zcivur.jpg

which turns-out to include 3 of the best sculpted plastic figures I think I've ever seen

003_zpsdjh5cfbs.jpg

004_zpsqlomtnes.jpg

so these guys are transferring from night-fighters to bombers - whether they like it or not!

But anyway, 'Dog fight double' says it all really. This will be paired with a Spitfire (see part 1) and arranged in a typical 'interception' pose. To add a little more drama to the scene, I plan to build this with the bomb doors open & racks empty to suggest the crew have jettison the dead weight in search of some speed, but its too late, as illustrated by strike-marks across a wing & engine cowling, feathered prop, drooping undercarriage leg & anything else I can think of during the build.

With only 4 1/2 weekends until the dead-line, this to build, a Spitfire to finish & a display stand to design & fabricate, I've certainly got my work cut-out!

Stay tuned...

• Like 3

They look like a well motivated crew who will concentrate on the mission ahead unlike Airfix crew who seem to be more intrested in sending texts on their mobile phones . Will follow your build as i will attempt on of these revell/ hasegawa 111's one day

Alistair

Hi Guys,

I was digging through my stash earlier this evening on an entirely unrelated matter & stumbled across this lot....

003_zpsmq4t7wtu.jpg

....I seem to remember collecting in an attempt to get motivated on an Airfix H-20, but all it did was confirm that I would be wasting my time - that thing's almost as old as me!

Some, all or maybe non, may or may not make an appearance over the coming weeks.

Stay tuned....

• Like 3

Hi Guys,

another weekend gone & a bit of progress made! The cockpit is by far the most important area of a He-111, by virtue of all that glazing & this is what you get out of the box...

001_zpsjdlxv8gh.jpg

.... basically solid, just a little short on detail, so using the MK resin as a pattern & adding odd lengths of plastic strip, sprue & what ever else was laying around....

002_zpscevdrnql.jpg

003_zps16l9n5kx.jpg

....a couple of coats of paint later....

004_zps1bfbamjr.jpg

005_zpssbvvzoac.jpg

....ready to insert & close the fuselage. Going to clean-up the joints/seams before adding the fragile bits!

stay tuned....

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

just a quick update to reassure anyone still following this topic that progress is being made - just painfully slowly!

Its clear that, in terms of sharpness, this tooling has peaked & is on the downwards slope - every joint & seam needs attention. Nothing catastrophic, in truth, if I were building it for my own amusement, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but when there is a deadline looming, the fill, sand, re-fill, re-sand cycle costs too much time.

Some images to date...

002_zps1gruaqaq.jpg

001_zpsprv06smd.jpg

....the seams are filled with thin super-glue, shaped with a selection of files & polished with fine production paper.

If you have one of these kits in the stash & are thinking of building, I would recommend you think twice about pre-assembling the wings as the instructions suggest - I taped mine together & offered them up - the fit was hopeless! Better, I think, to fit the bottom first for the best root fit, then dry-fit & adjust the top for, again, the best root fit.

Planning to hit the inside of the port wing mouldings with the Dremmel tomorrow, to thin the plastic ready to start replicating the damage & strike marks - but it could end in tears!

Stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

for me, the prevailing theme on this build has been delay upon delay after delay!, This evening was my absolutely last opportunity to start painting to have any chance of finishing before the deadline - but it hasn't happened. :badmood:

I could easily, and with ample justification, sit here & blame everyone else - Airfix.com who failed on 3 occasions to deliver the P2 that I had pre-ordered & paid for, Jadlam racing who promised 48hr delivery on this kit, but it was 12 days before it appeared on my door step & the glazing masks - ordered on the understanding of 4 day delivery, 10 days ago!

But, in truth, I have to accept my share of the blame - as soon as Plan A, Airfix.com, began to unravel, I should have demanded a refund & gone elsewhere and ordering other bits and pieces on a 'just in time' basis, clearly, doesn't work!

So - lesson learnt! From now on, I will make sure ALL of my research, ALL of my planning, ALL of any experimenting with unfamiliar materials or techniques and ALL my buying is done weeks, or even months, before the start of a build - or perhaps, even better, just buy a kit that has all the right bits in the box in the first place!

If you have been following this topic - sorry to have wasted your time