HK Lancaster ?.

Don149

On 12/21/2018 at 7:46 AM, Mancunian airman said:

At this rate I'm gonna be the last to get mine . . . . .

There are plenty on the Ebay site if you want one but dont purchase from Canada £190 postage !!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HK+Lancaster&_sacat=0

Hi

Well at appx £299 equivalent here in canada 

i am almost but not quite temped

cheers

jerry

I`ve got the flight deck ready for painting , one thing , part P59 which has a small spade-grip top will need the " spade grip " gently

turning through 90 degrees after fitting , it`s the flap lever . Also the tiny vertical nub behind it , on the inside of the elevator trim wheel

is lacking its little " hand wheel ". The nearest thing to it is one of those small PE arming propellors for the bombs in Tamiya kits .

If anyone is this keen ? .

Don .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don149 said:

Do any " insiders " out there know if Eduard or anyone else is working on the cockpit/turret masks for the Lanc  .

Without any it`ll be something of a nightmare to cut and mask from tape .

Cheat and do the “all clear” version :D

to to be more serious I would be surprised if someone wasn’t 

I personally think because its so LARGE it would be easy to cut/make your own mask ??
Having done so on the 72nd and 48th builds I think I may have a go myself first  . . .

. .  . and I dare say there will be one produced by Eduard before long.

2 hours ago, Overhaulin said:

Just a heads up, but it has been pointed out on FB that the landing gear has the maintenance strut locks which would not be present in a wartime operating plane.  See the red struts in enclosed picture. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LancAssemblyLine/permalink/1792148920894059/

Interesting - the question has to be asked - did HK actually measure up one of the preserved Lancs? Possibly PA474 or the Canadian Lanc? Despite claiming to represent a Wartime B1 it seems to have a lot in common with the above airframes.........

With the inclusion of post-war lights and antenna it would be certain that they looked at PA474, Vera or/even Just Jane.

Parts M4, M9, M10, M15, M16

Research to build your particular aircraft you wish to model should be undertaken !

You cannot take the kit manufacturers spec as being gospel . . . .

Ian

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

With the inclusion of post-war lights and antenna it would be certain that they looked at PA474, Vera or/even Just Jane.

Parts M4, M9, M10, M15, M16

Research to build your particular aircraft you wish to model should be undertaken !

You cannot take the kit manufacturers spec as being gospel . . . .

Ian

I must admit I'm curious! I'm looking to build PA474 and it would appear the HK Lanc does in fact have the deeper FE radiators? Haven't got the kit year so don't know if it's an option? Or as standard parts? 

On 30/12/2018 at 18:18, Stealthman said:

I must admit I'm curious! I'm looking to build PA474 and it would appear the HK Lanc does in fact have the deeper FE radiators? Haven't got the kit year so don't know if it's an option? Or as standard parts? 

I think you are referring to the parts I show here in my review? Go to 10:25 to see the only radiators in the kit. I was always under the impression that B1/111 rads are oblong?

Edited by Julien
no links to blogs, etc

On 12/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Well at appx £299 equivalent here in canada 

i am almost but not quite temped

cheers

jerry

Hobby Wholesale had two at 474.99. I almost bought one, I’m waiting for the WNWs Lanc, the outer wings can be removed for display.

• 2 weeks later...

A question on the main undercarriage units ,I`ve built the fuselage and tailplane , just waiting for the cockpit masks ( next month )

to start painting . Just putting the ailerons on to finish the wings ( after sanding the too tall hinges by almost half , looking at photo`s )

my question is , would it be possible to put in the u/c units after fitting the nacelles ? , this would make painting easier . The instructions

are not very descriptive , in fact they don`t say much at all ! . So if anyone has gone down this road , what do you advise ? .

Don .

Is anyone else trying to puzzle out the engine bearer assembly ? . thankfully I`m only displaying the port-inner opened up .

I wonder why there are parts included to build the cowlings closed , minus engines , but no mention of them in the instructions .

`Shouldn`t be too difficult , even for we old boys to work out , ( hopefully ) .

Too late for me , P P . I`ve got the tailplanes and fins assembled and didn`t spot the differences ! . New glasses ? .

One handy thing re. the tail units , they can be painted " off " the fuselage , like the wings and fitted later .

I`m just making up the nacelles and cowlings , had a hell of a job fitting the port-inner nacelle to the wing ,

`had to sand down the " roof " of the undercarriage bay to get it to fit flush in the wing . I could see through

it against a strong light , put it down to HK`s joining the wing halves together , I remember when we used to

do this ourselves ! .

Don .

21 hours ago, Don149 said:

Too late for me , P P . I`ve got the tailplanes and fins assembled and didn`t spot the differences ! . New glasses ? .

One handy thing re. the tail units , they can be painted " off " the fuselage , like the wings and fitted later .

I`m just making up the nacelles and cowlings , had a hell of a job fitting the port-inner nacelle to the wing ,

`had to sand down the " roof " of the undercarriage bay to get it to fit flush in the wing . I could see through

it against a strong light , put it down to HK`s joining the wing halves together , I remember when we used to

do this ourselves ! .

Don .

I missed the tailplane issue too, just spent an hour or so with a scalpel and Tamiya extra thin to correct them. The sprue stubs on the rear fuselage turret area are a good fit. 

Interesting about the nacelle fit as I seem to have the issue with the starboard side. 

The undercarriage painting have done this. Looks to me it would easy to make up the wheel roof and ends paint then add the painted legs then finish with the side walls.

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve assembled the paddle bladed props , they can only be fitted one way round and guess what , they`re back to front ! . The flat face is

forward with the slightly curved face to the rear , so by cutting off the stub for the spinner and gluing it on the back this , in effect ,

turns the prop around . The spinner covers up the alteration , looks better , I think . I don`t know if the needle blades are the same ,

perhaps someone who has used these can comment ! .

Don .

• 3 weeks later...

Don

I am curious to know if you got this finished despite the fact that there has yet to be a mask of all clear parts to be readily available yet.

I would love to see a photo or two of your progress and of course which particular one you modeled ?

Would it have been the one you had a flight in I wonder ???

Ian

Hi Mancunian airman , everything built and painted except for the fuselage , still awaiting the canopy / turret masks . Way back

I would have cut my own , but my 83 year old paws are not steady enough now so I`ll wait another week or so for Eduard

coming across with theirs . As for the one I flew in , it was white on top and black below ( no thank you ) , and was in the RF

serial range . Mine will be finished as " Phantom of the Ruhr " with the second one " flying " on a stand with crew as " I`m Easy " .

As for pics , I don`t how ! .BigBadBadge  (Chris ) sent me instructions awhile back but the damn thing wouldn`t accept my

password ( I tried several ) but no joy ! , so I`m stuffed on that score . Just finished the wings by putting in the the main undercart

units , thankfully it can be done after assembly and painting .

Don .

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing pictures, if you're still having problems PM me and I'll try help. Good catch on the props, I'm going to be using the paddle blades too for PO-S in her current state. 

9 minutes ago, Chaotic Mike said:

Looking forward to seeing pictures

Word of warning to everyone, ignore the photos of the dambuster currently doing the rounds on Facebook, as it is very, very, very badly built and horrifically innacurate - it has a mission tally, mid upper turret and the upkeep gear is all fitted backwards..... Rather disappointing really as it’s the first one to pop up

Cheers,

WV908 

This kit looks drool worthy, I asked SWMBO about the possibility of purchasing one, who said no.  Something about paying the mortgage.... 

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 1