Airfix 1/48 Sea Harrier FRS 1 - Aftermarket

planecrazee

Hi folks,

I'm currently beginning the 1/48 Airfix Sea Harrier FRS 1 which is a solid base kit but seriously lacking in detail. I've already purchased cockpit goodies and some PE from Eduard but wondered if anyone has experience of the best purchases for after market air intakes, undercarriage, ordnance etc to help make it sing.

If anyone has any advice or guidance it would be extremely appreciated

Many thanks

Kris

Welcome to BM!

Great choice of subject. Go to the Modern section of this forum and you'll see a very good reference thread pinned to the top. That'll get you started. A PM to NG899 or Dave Flemming of the Harrier SiG will be the gateway to the SiG site with Nick's superb build articles which tell you everything you need to know.

Heritage Aviation do some useful stuff see the vendors section at the bottom of the main menu. The Harrier stuff has been developed with SiG assistance so is very good.

Neomega also in the traders section do a very nice resin cockpit. Please mention BM in the comments boxes if you order.

As to ordnance I can't comment but I'm sure others will.

The Airfix kit isn't that bad, if a bit basic considering its age. The kit comes with 100gallon drop tanks, regularly used on the inner pylons. Alternatives could be Sea Eagle missiles. On the outer pylons, the normal fit would be AIM-4 Sidewinder missiles. Alternatives could be 1000lb bombs, or CBLS. Basic Aden pods are included, but no central pylon. A single bomb or CBLS would be fitted here. Following the Falklands War, Shars started to use Larger 190 gallon tanks, and a pair of twin 'winder rails on each outer pylon.

Flightpath do an excellent photo etch/resin set which contains all the bits you need to upgrade the Airfix kit, include FOD covers, crew access ladder, sidewinders, cockpit details etc., etc.

Edited by Bill Clark

Thanks to Bill and Sleeper - really appreciate you getting in touch with me about this.

I'm going to have a look for those items and hopefully get them sorted. Your knowledge is absolutely invaluable to me so thanks :thumbsup:

P.S. Do you have any tips on the most effective way of getting rid of those raised panel lines?

Many thanks

Kris

Be aware that although the twin sidewinder lauchers were seen on static or display aircraft, we never actually used them for "combat" training flights. Typical post Falklands fit was single sidewinders on the outboard pylons, 190 gallon tanks on the inboard pylons and gun pods. Bombing training we used 1000lbers or CBLS on the outboard and centre pylons, again with 190 galon tanks on the inboards. Sea Eagles were loaded occasionally, but only on one inboard pylon, usually the starboard side, although two could be carried in extremis.

Flightpath have some very nice aftermarket sets designed for the Airfix kit.

What do you carry on the other side whan having a Sea Eagle? Nothing or a tank?

I like this kit, reminds me I need to drop my Saabs for a little while and do aFalklands FRS. 1 I have lying around. Beautiful and really interesting aircraft.. :)

Pick up "Sharkey" Wars book on the conflict and maybe that other guy, that crab from Hermes as well. Good reads. Especially Ward´s...

Be aware that although the twin sidewinder lauchers were seen on static or display aircraft, we never actually used them for "combat" training flights. Typical post Falklands fit was single sidewinders on the outboard pylons, 190 gallon tanks on the inboard pylons and gun pods. Bombing training we used 1000lbers or CBLS on the outboard and centre pylons, again with 190 galon tanks on the inboards. Sea Eagles were loaded occasionally, but only on one inboard pylon, usually the starboard side, although two could be carried in extremis.

Flightpath have some very nice aftermarket sets designed for the Airfix kit.

899 used them......okay they are training rounds but hey.......

p0001919.jpg

• Like 1

That is a publicity shot Bill, as I said, they were only used for display, static and flight, we never actually fitted them for everyday usage and certainly not with live rounds.

That is a publicity shot Bill, as I said, they were only used for display, static and flight, we never actually fitted them for everyday usage and certainly not with live rounds.

Indeed.....here's some on display down under with 801NAS. Still a legitimate load out though.......display/!publicity or not....

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Navy/British-Aerospace-Sea/1182584/L/

Normally a 190 gallon tank. What we really need is a nice WE-177 with adaptor and an 8" Lepus flare.

What do you need the lepus flare for? surely you would get enough light from the WE177?

Selwyn

(Ducks for cover chuckling!)

• Like 5