Now I've gotten the nacelles embedded in the wing it will make blending in so much easier.

Of course 2 steps foeward, 1 step back

IMAG0266_zps4vxwjbng.jpg

May remove the exhaust from the rear of the nacelle and have twin overwing pipes instead....or maybe a boxed outlet?

Edited by dpm1did1

After WW2 here on the west coast of the Great White North, a company operated a Walrus for a while hauling freight and because of its structure the old bird gave off a great RADAR signature skin paint. The USAF used the thing as a target and would frequently do intercepts on it.

The crew got tired of the Yanks play time and made up a sign which one of the crew exhibited from the front hatch. The sign Read "Combine sex and travel". One of the kerosene converter pilots laughed so hard that he stalled but was able to recover before hitting the water.

Barney

A quick & dirty boxing in of the unsightly overwing/nacelle join

IMAG0268_zpsgccicdia.jpg

As you can see the change of plan for the nacelle location has led to a little extra wear and tear. Thank goodness I'll be going for a fairly flat and featureless wing surface

The curve of the leading edge was a pita but I got it close enough so a bit of filler/paint should smooth out the rest.

I'll probably just paint it black and leave it be after that

Edited by dpm1did1

Couldn't resist a little more red so I could better visualise the final result...

IMAG0270_zpsldjrluns.jpg

I must admit the allover red + white stripe (opposite to the more commonly seen USCG colours) suits the "Super-bat"* quite nicely.

*Trying to decide on a name/nickname derived from Walrus & Shagbat. Thought "Twin Walrus" was 'ok' unless I found a better alternative, but for some reason I thought "Super Shagbat" didn't quite sound right.

So I have pencilled in "Super-Bat" as I imagine the angular wings dropping through the clouds to snatch a rescue would be vaguely bat like (maybe I need to drink less caffeine!). I also imagine the 'bat' would have been dropped instead if it hadn't exactly performed to expectations...)

Edited by dpm1did1

The nacelles are in place and the wing repair is completed (if you look from above anyway...). Still need to finish off the painting as it's very patchy atm

And then it's turning the monoplane in to a biplane...

Chopped the (formerly known as-) engine struts down to lower the top wing and fiddled about. Decided a slightly different setup was required and have angled the forward struts, well forward...It looked a little better and the wings were position better relative to one another.

I hate struts and rigging though. The rigging has already been binned (the reason for the 'all metal construction'. I will also now replace the individual struts , all 10, with a modern 'aero' design with just 4x doubles.

Here's a quick mockup:

IMAG0271_zpsv6puebha.jpg

May just chamfer the edges to make it appear more aerodynamic but otherwise it will be flat 30thou. Should diffuse for the scale.

Edited by dpm1did1

If Mr Miyagi had been a modeller:

Top wing on, right hand. Top wing off, left hand. Top wing on, Top wing off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wing on, wing off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.

Attempt #2 at fixing the wings together...

IMAG0276_zpslff0uvnm.jpg

Wing on, wing off. Wing on, wing off.

The Biplane Battle...

Have glued the wings to the struts (ok one needs a slither to connect it but almost there).

Maybput it aside for a day or two to recover my senses and then its a few repairs, more red, undercarriage, canopy and any details I think may finish it off...and decals of course if I'm still same by that point!

In the meantime at least the wing doesn't slide off when it's off the horizontal any more :)

IMAG0277_zpselamuwlt.jpg

Edited by dpm1did1

Like a tadpole the back legs have sprouted first

IMAG0297_zpsap59oy7i.jpg

If you know your Walri you will spot the difference, if not I shall point it out for you:

This is what the port side should look like

j19.JPG

...I've reversed the legs to allow a better balance for the tricycle conversation. Actually not exactly reversed but spun them around the axis of the smaller support strut which moves the axis backwards even further.

Edited by dpm1did1

I definitely need a less stressful project after this. It's not a complicated kit, overengineered, overdetailed or fiddly. And the changes weren't as drastic as they may appear either. It's just me :)

But...easier OOB(ish) build next time...

Here's how she stands:

IMAG0298_zpsbfzxzlou.jpg

IMAG0300_zpsrbqld6cl.jpg

IMAG0301_zpstobrtezw.jpg

IMAG0302_zps4oev6ul4.jpg

IMAG0303_zpszxihzy1q.jpg

IMAG0304_zpshb2fv2ve.jpg

Changes:

Single piston to 2x turboprop

Lower top wing

Replace struts

Cut down rudder

Blank front gun position and add radar

Cover over rear position and add side door

Change floats to retractable wingtip style

Taildragger to Tricycle undercarriage

Detail changes (add lights, underwing flare/dinghy, strut pitot, cabin roof compass)

Simples...

Decals can wait for another day :)

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 2

It's been sat on the table bearing it's weight on the undercarriage for a while now. Sat back in the modelling chair and looked at it thinking something was off...

Got the ruler out and one wing tip is 1cm lower than the other. Appears the u/c has decided to move very slightly and of course this is exaggerated along the span.

Ho ho ho...

Maybe I'll make a trestle for it and call it u/c testing :)

Edited by dpm1did1

Unfortunately the gear is the weakest point in that kit. Mine was OOB except for decals (Kenting Aviation civil markings) and it did not take long before the gear would not support the model. Oh well the aircraft did not last very long in real life either

Barney

The gear is holding fine (touch wood), it's just a little lopsided where it must have moved whilst i was shifting stuff around on the workbench.

Glad I didn't try the kit back in the day when it was tube glue only as the combination of liquid poly to place the struts, and plastic weld to mould them into a stronger single unit has definitely worked so much better.

Maybe a better modeller will repeat the build and show me how it should have looked :)

Edited by dpm1did1