Having a break from painting (a wall not the plastic) I glanced at the stash and thought " why have I 3 biplanes and 2 Parsols when I hate rigging?"...and thus the story begins...

Would it be sacrilege to wiff with a Matchbox Walrus? Probably not thanks to the Revell re-issue, albeit without the multicolored plastic we all love so dearly.

ok so ideas now began to form in my crazy mind...

Turn this:

800px-Supermarine_Walrus_SLV_AllanGreen.

into this:

0447261.jpg

From Turning to Burning.

Or maybe this:

Seaplane-overwater7.jpg

Monoplane it (although Supermarine already beat me to this with the Seagull)

Or a simpler:

800px-PBY-5A_VP-52_Black_Cat_Dec_1943.jp

Just drop the rigging, and repaint in a new scheme wether alternative warbird or civi.

Of course there other whacky options:

'gunship' - rockets, torpedos, turrets etc

'electric' - long before the EKA-3, predating the F3D-2Q, and making even the TBM-3Q seem positively modern.

'2000' - well if Dornier can modernise their WW2 vintage boats...

'racer' - didn't a Walrus do a lap at Reno? Not looking like this...

...and I'm sure there more!

Some things would be hampered by the rather bare stores box, others by the skill box - but nothing by the 'outside the box'

• Like 6

Judging by the top photo that was well before the days of OH&S!!

Maybe to "modernize" it a bit, sand all the ribbing off the wings/tail for that all metal look with more solid and streamline struts. Push/pull engine setup and sleeker canopy.

This FDB-1 Gregor might give you some ideas on a biplane with struts but no wires!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Car_and_Foundry_FDB-1

I guess a lot depends on how far you want to take it, simple or complex mod!

Undecided on the engine and may well be what I can source/scratch.

Definitely no rigging.

Rethink and redesign of the wings to a smoother more metal like finish.

If a jet/contraprop then downsize the rudder.

Out go the guns, rings and round hatches. In their place:

Nose - radar

Rear - square hatch for better access (big enough for a stretcher perhaps?) or a canopy of some shape.

Revise canopy (or keep it retro!).

Add windows.

Also considering changes to the floats, eg retractable wingtip types, but that's still rbc.

Now I have a basic plan and pix in my head I'm thinking of colour schemes...USCG style?

Got hold of a DH88 for a bargain price. As I don't feel like spending half my life making it presentable I thought it might make a good donor kit:

Wonder how the 2 nacelles could be welded back-to-back to create a push-pull? Props may be problematic unless I use the DH 2 blade units.

As a bonus the nicely printed white decals for G-ASCR would provide the nessecary big lettering for a Coast Guard inspired scheme.

..and a couple of Union Jacks...

To quote a famous fellow:

The games afoot;

Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,

Cry God for Harry! England and Saint George!

Now to get that Scarab our the way and I can begin experimenting:)

Slightly less Wiff-Wiffing...:)

Tinkering Thanks To Tamiya Tape

Walrus wings + DH88 cowlings

Twin engine tractors

IMAG0224_zpshrbk37gw.jpg

Overwing twins

IMAG0225_zps1ajjxglt.jpg

Back to back - 1 above, 1 below to avoid premature cutting but easily chopped to go inline above or below.

IMAG0226_zps1meruhxa.jpg

So with validity of the concept proven I added the lower wing and fuselage.

Tractor

IMAG0227_zpslb0ef9cc.jpg

...something a little Dornier 18-ish about that look!

Twin - underwing

IMG_20151002_104954_zpsuazsxg2q.jpg

...Turbo-StranraerJr

Unfortunately the Twin overwing configuration just didn't look right. I consined that to the archives as the design review considered maintenance would have been a pita.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

How about a monoplane with pushpull on a stick? I'm sure I've seen a modern example somewhere...

Edit: Not quite it, but you get what I mean...

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/attachments/aircraft-design-aerodynamics-new-technology/21757d1357667403-interest-plansbuilt-lsa-microlight-amphibian-n897tb-13-740.jpg

Edited by charlie_c67

I did consider a monoplane, including the tandom engine arrangement.

Unfortunately as I percieve the 'real' plane it would be a direct decendant of the Walrus line and as such a Biplane to Monoplane conversation would require a completely new wing to make up for the inherent loss of lift.

So stuck as a biplane but with metal as opposed to fabric covering, and possibly a play around with the exact form (eg square tips, retractable floats, added trim tabs and lift devices...)

It's still at the planning stage tho but soon metal will be cut...(well plastic anyway)

All ideas are welcome especially as I'm still considering internal layout and perhaps raise the rear deckingfor more headroom.

More experiments - only this time with cutting and glueing...

Lower wing

- squared off with retractable tip float

IMAG0235_zps90j6uyw0.jpg

Engine nacelle

- front intake and side intake. Still pondering position/number of exhausts.

Got to remember to mirror the second one.

IMAG0236_zpskhskv0vf.jpg

Fuselage

- rudder removed. Thinking of a T-tail with modified rudder.

- gun rings off. Will blank off the front (radar nose?) and make some type of hatch replacement for the rear.

- although I will likely do it fully closed up I've added the pilot seat so I can add basic cockpit details.

IMAG0234_zpstb0z0h82.jpg

Soon time to start mixing miliput to fill the many gaps.

Edited by dpm1did1

Passing another small point of no return:

Tail & Rudder

From Mid set with tall counter balance and underslung water rudder

IMAG0240_zpszug0vvhl.jpg

To T-tail, short rudder with internal balance, and water rudder removed (must remember to replace it).

IMAG0239_zps3zk2ydei.jpg

Edited by dpm1did1

Like the idea of a tricycle undercarriage so a few minutes of ?, ! and a little @#%#$#...

Maybe if I reverse the mainwherl attachments I can have the extended position further back - well that solves the tail sitter problem.

Now for the nose...

Basic box and doors is easy enough (no-one is going to peer inside it). But what about the leg & wheel?

Because my spares box is empty I have little to choose from. Looks like a DH88 main leg and wheel will have to sit in there. It'll be rather basic but I hope if I go ahead with it that it won't show too much.

Now to ponder on a "do I or don't i?"

Edited by dpm1did1

Whilst waiting for a cuppa to cool...

Holes drilled in rear of nacelles for exhausts.

Nosewheel bay cut in to front hull. Undecided on wheel and carriage but I'll have time to think whilst I'm filling and sanding the wings and engines.

IMAG0241_zpsqx7avsnz.jpg

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Didn't get much done yesterday for various reasons:

1. It's rapidly approaching the 'fill the gaps & holes' stages, much less fun than the 'will this fit here if I change/mod it' days.

2. Running out to buy my 'new oldies' to add to the stash - and then the usual staring at them for an age...pre-owned, pre-opened so no excuse not to pull out the sprues and go "ahhh, mmmm, yay!"

3. Got a headache - to much excitement! - and decided it was not the right time to mix milliput ( I must get some one part filler).

Maybe today...

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Pick up a scheme like the current HM Coastguard rescue helicopters, white with a red nose and rear fuselage and blue pinstripes edging the red.

Great minds think alike...with a slight variation

Been pondering a backstory and thought of this outline:

Pre:WW2 Supermarine move jigs to Canada to concentrate on much needed Spits

SMC (SuperMarine Canada) update the design with a more durable metal structure enabling operations in northern areas

Post-War results in need for extra small/medium amphibians for Northern exploration - new Civil/Corporate demand (pretty non-military paint jobs)

New Turboprop engine (T53 type) in mid-50s

New generation of smaller, more efficient 60s turbinedon results in a protype 'Twin Walrus'. Extra power, lower overall weight (increased engine mass matches by reduced rudder size and other design changes/improvements), improved handling, and most off all twin engine safety.

Small-productiom batch validates changes with a final redesign to a tricycle undercarriage placing a nosewheel well in the space vacated by original nose gunners position (also allowing optional nose radar). The mainwheel attachment points are resulting in the wheels moving rearwards giving better ground maneuverability and takeoff clearance.

The final change was a lowering of the top wing as the clearance for the prop was nolonger need. This resulted in a significant weight saving and combined with new struts (visibly identical but shorter than the originals) meant the removal of the last of the rigging (already much reduced with the change to an all metal structure).

So that should account for all the Structural Wiff and what about the markings?

Well a Canadian machine is most likely (well it is a SMC machine). Assuming this then it will be operating in the remote north, as well as being Ocean capable (unlike it's Cessna competition). Also it will outrange contemporary helos by many a mile.

First thought was a nice Civil scheme but it would need a logo of some type.

Then I looked at the DH88 decals and thought the white G-ACSR could be slashed to give a pair each of large and small CG 'Coast Guard'

(or large CG - small GC Garde-Côte).

And that allows a nice bright White/Red scheme! (just right to show up my poor build & finishing skills :))

...now Ijust need some Canadian decals to fill a gap or two in my Imaginary CCG-GCC spares...

Edited by dpm1did1

What to do with the rear hatch?

Am lacking suitable clear bits but the DH88 canopy may help resolve the issue.

It's nice and frameless (so useless for the comet without much work) and (almost) fits like a glove

IMG_20151004_195538_zpsodhza4bk.jpg

Also pencil lines for a side hatch/platform. 10thou card should be enough to suggest the change without making sit too proud (and avoids the need to scribe)

Change of plan (yes, another one!)

Have got a side hatch in place but won't be fitting a canopy over the rear. Instead I will add a teardrop cover.

IMAG0250_zpsas07en0q.jpg

Wings are taking longer than I hoped for. Had to install strengthening straps on the upper so I'm waiting for them to dry.

Now to figure out positions for the lights...

...it's never ending!

The nacelles are giving me a headache as my milliput failed to harden properly...why, o why!?!...

I had mixed just I have done since I first discovered it all those years ago. Does it have a shelf life because this lot was stored for a good while (opened but ends twisted).

May have to get some Humbrol filler (not Squadron green as the smell is awful).

In the meantime have skinned the nacelles with 10thou strip and will have to resand....more work.

Edited by dpm1did1

Whilst pondering the next step engine wise I started to first coat of colour...

Shiny!IMAG0254_zpsoxrr7ojk.jpg

Should improve with a couple more coats. With little detail to keep I can happily paint, sand, repaint to may heart's content.

Ok the red may not be perfect but it seems the opinion is 'near enough', especially for a Wiff ( I can add the correct H19 for contrast if it looks too uniform).

Anyway pre-62 it wasn't a standard nationwide shade as CCG-GCC wasn't born yet so I'll be happy with that 99% accuracy - sorry rivet counters :)

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

The nacelles are giving me a headache as my milliput failed to harden properly...why, o why!?!...

I had mixed just I have done since I first discovered it all those years ago. Does it have a shelf life because this lot was stored for a good while (opened but ends twisted).

May have to get some Humbrol filler (not Squadron green as the smell is awful).

In the meantime have skinned the nacelles with 10thou strip and will have to resand....more work.

Milliput does have a shel life, but normally problems seem to manifest in you getting a hard crust on the outside of the two packs, which gives you lots of lumps.

I've had issues with the stuff not setting properly recently, which I had never had before. This was a new pack, although how long it had been in the shop is anyone's guess. Maybe QC problems at manufacture?

Waiting for paint to dry - and avoiding the engines - I hacked at the fuselage again..

No more nose gunner opening, instead a thimble radar nose and access hatch. The twin turboprops date the period to late 50s-early 60s so I guess it would be feasible as a weather radar even if a search/mapping radar still would have been improbable.

IMAG0256_zpsfjvddvm4.jpg

A couple of other little details visible. Pix show a couple of plates aside the cockpit - why not, adds a little bit with minimal effort. Also a small intake (and exhaust) replacing the starboard observer window for cabin heating, avionics cooling...pretty much whatever I didn't fancy detailing internally.

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1