1/72 Spitfire PR.XIII prototype (from Tamiya Mk.I)

datguy

I promised Edgar that I would post my build here after he shared his Supermarine factory drawing information on the Spitfire PR.XIII that hints at Sea Grey Medium and Dark Green as the proper colors. I did my best to match the underside PRU Mauve to the Munsell matches quoted elsewhere in these forums.

I hope you enjoy!

- David

PS: I still have to mix up another batch of Mauve for the pitot...

Tamiya%20PR-XIII%20stbd%20complete-LR_zp

Tamiya%20PR-XIII%20port%20complete-with%

Tamiya%20PR-XII%20undersurface%20Mauve%2

• Like 28

Any chance you could share your mix for the mauve, I've tried a couple of times, but haven't got a shade I'm happy with - yours looks good!

I don't have the exact mix, but I started with Xtracolur PRU Mauve (about 4 parts), then added Humbrol matt white until it got to the saturation I wanted (about 15 parts), but it was too blue, so I added about 2 or 3 parts Testors matt red (square jar). I was looking to get to Munsell 2.5P4/6 or something a little lighter. see http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/99641_Munsell-2.5p-46

• Like 1

That looks great. Which kit/conversion have you used please?

The kit is the Tamiya 1/72 Mk.I. I drilled out camera ports. but used no conversion parts apart from a vacuform blister-style canopy hood. The windscreen and aft windows are the original kit parts separated with a fine razor saw..

Upper surface colors are Lifecolor Sea Grey Medium, and Tamiya Dark Green. The Mauve is mixed from Xtracolour PRU Mauve as noted above. Decals are from the scrap box (with the Circle-P's being donated by a friend). I custom printed the 'L1004' serial on Testors decal paper.

Edited by datguy

Now that's one I haven't seen before - excellent job on an obscure Spitfire! Were there any Spitfires that were painted that mauve colour overall?

None on record. Whether any were actually painted Mauve on the underside is controversial enough!

• Like 1

Pity about none of the PR Spitfires being painted overall mauve. I have three recce Spits I plan on doing in the PRU pink (PR.1G, FR.IXc, and a PR.X) - a mauve one would have looked great next to them. I recall seeing some recce Spitfires that were represented, in drawings anyway, as being a terra cotta colour - do you know if there's anything to that? By the way, shouldn't this be an FR - it has the guns, or did the RAF not make the distinction at the time?

Regards,

Jason

I don't have the exact mix, but I started with Xtracolur PRU Mauve (about 4 parts), then added Humbrol matt white until it got to the saturation I wanted (about 15 parts), but it was too blue, so I added about 2 or 3 parts Testors matt red (square jar). I was looking to get to Munsell 2.5P4/6 or something a little lighter. see http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/99641_Munsell-2.5p-46

Many thanks, for some reason I'd completely missed that xtracolour do pru mauve!I've been messing about with various red/blue mixes, not that successfully!

Keith

I promised Edgar that I would post my build here after he shared his Supermarine factory drawing information on the Spitfire PR.XIII that hints at Sea Grey Medium and Dark Green as the proper colors. I did my best to match the underside PRU Mauve to the Munsell matches quoted elsewhere in these forums.

I hope you enjoy!

- David

PS: I still have to mix up another batch of Mauve for the pitot...

Tamiya%20PR-XIII%20port%20complete-with%

very neat build, and the colours look good.

a couple of points,

The Tamiya kit has a wing representing an early Spitfire wing with protruding gun barrels, which were changed quite soon in service.

the other is probably not fixable, but maybe of use, the angle of the undercarriage is different depending on what wing is fitted, being raked a bit further forward on the C and E wing. Yours look to hvae the correct angle for a C wing, but this is an A wing as the XIII's were based on earlier airframes. If you don't know this and just use any photo as a guide.....

spitfire-mk-xii.jpg

comparison pic of the Vb and Vc here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966915-alley-cat-spitfire-mkvc-conversion-for-new-airfix-spit-mkvb-kit-148th-scale/#entry1729533

minor points aside, a great build and I've always found the Spitfire XIII an object of curiosity as there were so few, and so few photos, plus the possible PR Mauve undersides.

Been discussed here a few times which maybe of interest

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/76346-the-elusive-spitfire-mk-xiii/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34442-royal-navy-spitfire-prxiii-in-148th/

these two images taken later in naval training unit show why the use of the low PR scheme is thought to have been applied

aNTOINEsPITxiii.jpg

these two and another shot from the same unit, in what looks more standard camo, are the only known photos of the Spitfire XIII in service.

hope of interest

T

• Like 1

By the way, shouldn't this be an FR - it has the guns, or did the RAF not make the distinction at the time?

The Mk.XIII got in just under the wire when the role prefixes were being introduced. One of the contributing factors for the role prefix idea was the question of designations for Spitfire PR types (formerly "Spitfire PR Type G", etc) but unlike the previous variants, this one had a unique engine (Merlin 32) for Spitfires, and as it evolved, some other particular characteristics. Therefore, it was reasonable to give it its own Mark number.

Philosophically, there had not previously been the distinction of "PR" vs. "FR", with the recon organization (PRU/PDU/etc etc) operating armed "dicers" when necessary, but with the emphasis still on performing the recon mission- the guns were just a bit of insurance! As the low-level "armed reconnaissance" style evolved, the ability to be aggressive (the "Fighter" part) became more valued in its own right, though the emphasis was still on bringing back the information, so getting yourself shot down in the process was frowned upon.

bob

• Like 3