1/72 - Hawker-Siddeley/BAe Hawk T.Mk.1 by Revell - released

Homebee

So does the kit have thw werewithall to build a TWU Hawk for those of us without the slightest inclination to do a Red Arrows ac?

Just bought last saturday, and the kit is very nice :

More pics here

Ivan

Thanks for sharing the pictures Ivan, I like a lot of what I see. Some areas may need some improvement but this looks promising. Will have to get one quick myself.

May I ask of there's any indication of the location for the pylons on the inner side of the lower wing part ?

So does the kit have thw werewithall to build a TWU Hawk for those of us without the slightest inclination to do a Red Arrows ac?

From what I see a TWU aircraft will need parts that are not in the box as I see no gun pod and no pylons. Sure these may be made available by Revell in a later boxing of the same kit, alternatively they'll need robbing from some other Hawk kit

Wow, that's some rough looking plastic for a mainstream manufacturer.

And some HUGE attachment points on the runners on the wing and fin leading edges.

Not sure the rear fuselage is correct for a current RA aircraft - the shape looks like the early curved line that had the short fin fillet

Edited by Dave Fleming

And some HUGE attachment points on the runners on the wing and fin leading edges.

Not sure the rear fuselage is correct for a current RA aircraft - the shape looks like the early curved line that had the short fin fillet

+ 1

Anyway, it looks already far better than what the market can offer today. So I am just a little bit disappointed by the shape of the rear fuselage. It's look rather bumpy. They put rivets on the airbrake and forgot to add them where they are the most visible !. Very strange. Anyway happy with the undercarriage.

So mixed feelings but still on my list for sure.

Now waiting for AM adds and corrections....

I think I'll try to fit an AF tail section and see how it looks.

Madcop :winkgrin:

From what I see a TWU aircraft will need parts that are not in the box as I see no gun pod and no pylons. Sure these may be made available by Revell in a later boxing of the same kit, alternatively they'll need robbing from some other Hawk kit

Just great! I wish they wouldn't do this, dull, dull, dull!

I have this kit as I really liked the look of the pictures being put out by the media. For me the big letdown on this kit is the red waxy plastic they use.

I tried putting one of the seats together and it wasn't good, a lot of trimming and I was still not happy with it. Added to that because of the layout of the cockpit floor current replacement mk10's wont fit without some serious work.

I wont say I wouldn't buy another but I will wait for another version with grey plastic and see if it's any better.

Regards Glenn.

When mine turns up I am tempted to build one of the recent display aircraft - I've built most of them already but I have the recent Xtradecal sheet with a couple on so may well do the black one with ww1 green aft section. I foresee a primer coat or two of nice grey first though.

It DOES look good! I hope they make a T.1A soon.

Big Stu, what is the "major flaw" that you speak of on the Airfix kit?

WARDOG

Looks like it's good overall very nice detail, but can't see why they had made the mistake with the rear end just forward of the tail plane.

Were Revell looking at a version of the Hawk that I haven't seen before?

If you care that much what it looks like, a small amount of surgery will be needed.

19875478972_e98b566432_o.jpgThe Reds @ RIAT by Martin Laurance, on Flickr

Only wish they hadn't used that horrible red plastic & really hope the plastic finish won't be as rough as that.

Martin

• Like 1

What about decal's in this set? Is it just decals for Red Arrows for the 2015 season or do we get a choise of several seasons at last?

/André

Nope, just the 2015 scheme I'm afraid.

Mark.

Looks like it's good overall very nice detail, but can't see why they had made the mistake with the rear end just forward of the tail plane.

Were Revell looking at a version of the Hawk that I haven't seen before?

If you care that much what it looks like, a small amount of surgery will be needed.

Hadn't noticed that. I was looking at the upper fuselage behind the fin, where they seem to have used the 'early' curved profile shape

Hadn't noticed that. I was looking at the upper fuselage behind the fin, where they seem to have used the 'early' curved profile shape

There are some pic's on Fritag's build thread. The wing tips look a bit too rounded, but I have one on order, so I'll have a good look when it arrives.

Just bought last saturday, and the kit is very nice :

More pics here

Ivan

Looking at your photos in the link you posted I have noticed the clear sprue does not match the Revell instruction sheet on their website. It looks more like the pre-upgraded newish tool Airfix clear sprue. The Revell sprue is labelled F, your pics show a sprue H? Edited by Diggers11

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, Phantome said:

Has anybody bought the new boxing? I'm curious if there are other decal options aside from the one on the cover (and whether hopefully the sprues are not black)

Waiting for a couple to arrive, but the Revell website's colour chart for this kit gives colours for typical TWU schemes of the 1980s and 1990s: green/ grey and Air Defence greys (Barley grey etc). I'm hoping for a 234 Squadron 1 TWU option in the decals.

Also: no the plastic is grey!

Jay

EDIT: I just realised the paint guide in the link probably does not show colours for a green/ grey version after all - I mistook the Olive drab (perhaps for the seats) for dark green initially. 

04970_smpw_bae_hawk_t_1.jpg

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Thanks 1

The blurb on the website refers to 'decals for the RAF version', which to me suggests only one option. A trifle disappointing in a tenner's worth of model, if I am honest.

One thing to note, however. RAF Hawk T.1/T.1As were only fitted with the inner hardpoint, and it was not plumbed for auxiliary tanks. There are many photos of T.1s with four pylons and with tanks and all manner of stores, but in all cases these are BAe publicity shots with pre-delivery aircraft. Revell made the same error with their 1/32nd kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually I don't even read those "blurbs" on Revell site, but just go straight for instruction download page. I hope that one for this model will be added soon.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:24 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

The blurb on the website refers to 'decals for the RAF version', which to me suggests only one option. A trifle disappointing in a tenner's worth of model, if I am honest.

One thing to note, however. RAF Hawk T.1/T.1As were only fitted with the inner hardpoint, and it was not plumbed for auxiliary tanks. There are many photos of T.1s with four pylons and with tanks and all manner of stores, but in all cases these are BAe publicity shots with pre-delivery aircraft. Revell made the same error with their 1/32nd kit.

Yet another in a long line of Revell disappointments in terms of their decal offerings.

• 2 weeks later...