1/72 - Hawker-Siddeley/BAe Hawk T.Mk.1 by Revell - released

Homebee

Announced some time ago and confirmed as a new tool http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973045-revell-2015/?p=1877100 . The Revell's BAe Hawk T.Mk.1 Hawk "Red Arrows" - ref.04921

Source: http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Flugzeuge/Wiegmann/Rev_BAe_Hawk_Red_Arrows_72/Rev_04921_Hawk_Red_Arrows.html

Test build

Rev_Hawk_02.jpg

Rev_Hawk_01.jpg

Rev_Hawk_03.jpg

Rev_Hawk_04.jpg

Rev_Hawk_05.jpg

Rev_Hawk_06.jpg

Rev_Hawk_07.jpg

Rev_Hawk_08.jpg

Rev_Hawk_09.jpg

Rev_Hawk_10.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

Compared to the Italeri Hawk I've butchered over a year to look like a Hawk: nose profile seems ok; wheel wells & cockpit very nice; visible panel lines seem to be at last based on the real thing :). Still no positionable flaps though :(

Jay

They've got the undercarriage doors the right shape, something Airfix had three goes at with the new mould (the original old mould actually had better ones!) and still didn't resolve!

This has been on the Big H website for ages as "due in July". Whilst I hope they do a black T.1 also, can I also wish for a decent Hawk 200 from them too?

• 1 month later...

I understand it may have been delayed in favour of Revell getting their Star Wars Epsiode VII kits into the shops in time for the cinema release.

I hope Revell will use this time to correct the rear end and the slope of the "cheeks" of the rear fuselage. Geedubelyer addressed these issues in his amazing build of Revell's 1/32 Hawk. Have a look at posts # 67 and 77 on page 4 of this one:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65566-revell-bae-hawk-t1-red-arrows/page-4?hl=%20hawk%20%20work%20%20progress

The test shots of the 1/72 version look like they've copied the 1/32 kit faithfully. That's great for most of the airframe and details but these areas could use changing. Either way, I'm excited and my bank manager is worried by this new 1/72 one. It looks as though it'll make my dozen or so Airfix Hawks redundant.

Phil

A lot of Revell's output has been interrupted by the Star Wars range. Quite understandable, though I would not be at all surprised if there is a contractual obligation on Revell to have the Star Wars items readily available for the Oct-Dec quarter.

For those not wanting to travel to a galaxy far, far away it is quite irritating, but it means there will be something to look forward to in the new year.

Hi all,

The more I look at these pictures the more I think that this Hawk really is a down-scaled 1/32. Most serious thing is the upper fuselage cross already mentioned. The intake scoops after the canopy are also to short but easier to handle (Quickboost). Otherwise it is looking very nice.

Well, no one is perfect... :(

Cheers,

AaCee

And very nice instructions they are too... all colour and certainly another step closer to the Eduard benchmark.

Hopefully other versions of British Hawks will spawn out of this basic moulding which appears to be a real winner.

The proof will be in the overall accuracy, so I'm sure it will get rightly praised or poo-pooed either way.

I must say, this augers well for a nice crisp Shackelton instruction sheet once this is released.

It would appear that Revell have certainly upped their game and taking it up to the others (i.e. Airfix et al).

Cheers... Dave.

PhantomBigStu - I seem to remember reading that the test shot builder scratched the smoke oil pipes. I'll try find a source for that. EDIT: found it, Laurent on ARC: " it's clear that Dieter Wiegmann did at least some minor scratchbuild work: smoke pipes above the nozzle. "

I emailed RoG about the origins of this kit as I'm in the market for an early Hawk, they were kind enough to reply:

"This model kit we did a few years before, when we cooperated with the Italian company of Italeri. But we found out, that the 1/72 scale “Hawk” was not that correct. So we decided to do “our own” model kit, taking all the CAD design from our big 1/32 scale Hawk. This brand new model kit will be shipped to the market late this month under item no. 04921 and, of course, in the version of the “Red Arrows”."

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

PhantomBigStu - I seem to remember reading that the test shot builder scratched the smoke oil pipes. I'll try find a source for that. EDIT: found it, Laurent on ARC: " it's clear that Dieter Wiegmann did at least some minor scratchbuild work: smoke pipes above the nozzle. "

I emailed RoG about the origins of this kit as I'm in the market for an early Hawk, they were kind enough to reply:

"This model kit we did a few years before, when we cooperated with the Italian company of Italeri. But we found out, that the 1/72 scale “Hawk” was not that correct. So we decided to do “our own” model kit, taking all the CAD design from our big 1/32 scale Hawk. This brand new model kit will be shipped to the market late this month under item no. 04921 and, of course, in the version of the “Red Arrows”."

Having downloaded the instructions from Revell's website, they have included a 'Red Arrows' specific sprue (sprue E) which includes the smoke dye pod and 3 smoke pipes. Since the test shot build includes the smoke dye pod, I'd say there was no need to scratch build the smoke pipes as they are included on the same sprue!

Mark.

• Like 2

Red Arrows are good investment. In my local hobbyshop (in sweden) those Red Arrows aircraft usually sell out first. They look nice and peacefull compared to other kits in their "warpaint". For sure Airfix Red Arrows Hawk doesn't give Revell any money so they have to make one to...

A lot of Revell's output has been interrupted by the Star Wars range. Quite understandable, though I would not be at all surprised if there is a contractual obligation on Revell to have the Star Wars items readily available for the Oct-Dec quarter.

For those not wanting to travel to a galaxy far, far away it is quite irritating, but it means there will be something to look forward to in the new year.

Unless the movie is terrible. Then it's baaaaad news - the investment AMT made into Episode 1 was one of the final nails in their coffin. (one of the LHS here still has a stack of unsold Ep.1 kits...) It also did some serious damage to some major retailers.

But yeah, the potential market for a major cultural phenomenon that exists entirely to sell merchandise is obviously going to get a whole lot more attention than stuff aimed at a relatively niche market. (they probably paid more for the Star Wars license than the entire production budget for the Hawk; clearly that'll get higher priority) With luck, in a year or two Revell will be flush with cash off the deal, and ready to spend that money on more 'traditional' modelling subjects.

Having downloaded the instructions from Revell's website, they have included a 'Red Arrows' specific sprue (sprue E) which includes the smoke dye pod and 3 smoke pipes. Since the test shot build includes the smoke dye pod, I'd say there was no need to scratch build the smoke pipes as they are included on the same sprue!

Mark.

The instructions are password protected now, but while the kit may in fact come with pipes, the parts on the test build are most definitely made from bent wire.

• Like 1

The instructions are password protected now, but while the kit may in fact come with pipes, the parts on the test build are most definitely made from bent wire.

Actually they are not, but they are in a secure PDF format - it seems to depend on what you are using to open them - PC works fine, but friends trying to open them on a phone have reported an issue

Weird. When I opened it in Chrome, I got a popup saying it was password protected. Opening it in IE, and it's fine.

Those instructions are a nice upgrade from the industrial paper towels they used to be printed on. The point stands, though: the pipes used on the test build are metal, not plastic. Could be the sprue wasn't 100% ready when they ran that test shot. Could be the parts broke when being clipped off the sprue. But given their perfect roundness, there is zero chance that they're plastic.

On the PDF we can see that REVELL gives a decal for the Canopy fragilization detonation cord. On the sprues it looks like it is engraved in the canopy.

Strange.

I hope they didn't just reduce the 1/32 scale kit and that they also took the opportunity to correct and add the missing details , e,g the missing very noticeable big rivets on the tail unit and the shape of the fuselage at the tailplanes.

Anyway looks already better than the twice corrected "NEW" Airfix-Hornby tool especially as far as the UC is concerned.

Hope also we'll get the same kit with a realistic external load ( not like in the 1/32 scale) next time.

Waiting for the release to use all my special schemes decals. !

Madcop.

I managed to download the instruction sheet with no problem and from what I see this is the best detailed 1/72 Hawk ever. The shape of the rear fuselage may be a bit off from what the pictures show, but I would probably prefer this kit over the Airfix one at this point

• Like 1