Best Post-WWII Kit In 1/72...? (Just HAD to!)

AngstROM

Having tried (inadvertently) to hijack another thread in the WWII section, I'll welcome any opinions on this subject -also, I'd like to know if anyone else thinks Cold War/Modern kits are fine, but pre-1950s ones seem to get the Golds!

Oh yeah: all media allowed -resin is NOT cheating! :bleh: (So CMR Buccs and Scimitars welcome from you Rich B......s!)

Let the bloodbath commence...

I've not built one but from what I've seen in the box I'd say the Tamiya F-16. Not having built one means that I don't have fitst hand experience on aspects like the ft of the parts, however the Tamiya name should be enough guarantee of a good overall fit.

The recent Fine Molds Tomcat may be able to steal the first position, however I've yet to receive the final part of the kit from Japan, my final verdict will come when I have all the parts in my hands. In terms of detail the sprues I have are already quite ahead of everything else, but some areas don't convince me. Panel lines for example could have been even better

Mind, the AKI Sea Fury and Firebrand represent types that saw postwar use only afterall, if these can be included then I may vote for them

So I'd like to think I'm a little more advanced modeller than a beginner, so I look at different things. Decals are not that important to me: I'll usually replace them with aftermarket or paint on insignia. So these are the criteria I look for.

tool engineering (very fine panel lines/raised surfaces), Assembly engineering (the complexity involved in assembly) Fit (how it actually goes together), Details (kinda like engineering, but choices made by the designer, such as cockpits) Accuracy (I'm not a rivet counter but I try to take into account the views of some experts), molding quality (misalignment, flash QC issues).

That said, these are my top kits. They are roughly ordered from best to worst, but after the Skyray, it gets fuzzy.

Tamiya F4D Skyray - This is really a classic. Cockpit is beautiful, the engineering is fantastic too. Its not a complex kit, but its probably the best jet kit ever made... its like the gold standard for me.

Fujimi F7U Cutlass/A4D Skyhawk/ Phantom FGR. These three kits in my mind are fujimi's golden age. The Gutless is beautiful, probably has a very slight edge, skyhawk has dropped flaps and all the fixings, the FGR is the FGR. All are extremely high quality, with the same level of detail as the Skyway, just that each are marred by small issue (like the Phantom's rear fuselage/exhaust area, which is difficult to build without losing detail).

Academy F-8 Crusader: Well done kit,different options. Biggest problem is that the weapons are a bit thick, and there are small engineering issues that make it a step below the Skyray. I also feel that the tool engineering is a slight bit less advanced than the above options.

Eduard Mig-15. A very good kit overall, It maybe in the very top of this group, but I just built it and I feel that its hard for me to gauge where it stands.

Hasegawa Eurofighter/Su-35. Despite all of the teeth gnashing about the current state of Hasegawa, these three kits in the last five years are probably their best jet kits ever made. Full cockpits, top tier engineering, generous weapon sets, great fit... and relatively minor accuracy issues.

Fujimi A-6 Series: Nearly at the same level as the F7U, it just feels a little less developed.

Hasegawa F-104 series: Full cockpit and great details all around, let down by a really awkward fuselage join right in the centre.

Hasegawa F-117 - It needs a slight bit of filler and its cockpit is sparse (which is not very visible from the outside) but overall a really well engineered kit.

Revell Hunter - I think its about the same level as the bottom three... just I had a QC issue, and the panel lines are a shade bigger than the the other options.

Two kits I've not built or extensively looked over are the Fine Molds F-14 or the Tamiya F-16. Both look phenomenal in the box, but mine are still in their packaging and I've not attempted a test fit. Other potentials are Zvezda's and Trumpeter's Flankers (I have the latter and heard great things about the former).

You'll probably notice that I have only two European manufacturers and no chinese. I think for me the area where Revell and Airfix suffer is in engineering, specifically tooling (oversized panel lines), molding quality (too many QCs). Chinese generally suffer on accuracy, and tool engineering still lags slightly. I will also say that I have comparatively fewer 1/72 Trumpeter kits, so that might be an issue. Still I look at dragon's quality in some 1/72 tanks (building their 1/72 Leopard II right now), and I don't feel its translated well to their aircraft line.

Edited by -Neu-

Got to agree with the Hasegawa F-104 and Fujimi A-4.

The Starfighter was a JASDF F-104J and the Skyhawk a bog standard A-4E. Both were great build, excellent detail, and perfect decals.

Considering these were in a previous modelling lifetime it's amazing they stand up so well ans surpass so many of today's kits - so doubly sad that they are now such unusual and often sights in British highstreet shops.

Both Revell and Italeri also have some very nice kits but sadly for one reason or another they don't quite make the top 1%, especially Italeri who have numerous unique subjects in standard IM form that are great but aging (eg lacking fine cockpit/wheelwell details, raised panel line). However who else does a Ju-86 or Go-242?

Havemt built a Trumpeter or Hobbyboss kit yet. Rather put off by their seamingly variable accuracy ranging from superb to lousy.

Airfix are getting there slowly but mired by poor QC atm

Eduard are probably the best allrounder I've not built yet. One day...

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Thanks folks; I'd have to agree with most of that -the Tamiya Ford and Academy F-8 are very good indeed. For me, Fujimi's Cutlass is 'pleasing' rather than top-drawer (the seat...really should be better!). I haven't seen the Tam Viper, but have almost finished the 1/48 one and it is rather nice.

And I wondered how long it would take the 'little Fagot' (...got his own jet airplane!) from Eduard to show up here...

Bringing in the Sea Fury and Firebrand is fine: these are Cold War-ish, and of impeccable credentials.

Much obliged for the replies!

Edited by AngstROM

Got to agree with the Hasegawa F-104 and Fujimi A-4.

The Starfighter was a JASDF F-104J and the Skyhawk a big standard A-4E. Both were great build, excellent detail, and perfect decals.

Considering these were in a previous modelling lifetime it's amazing they stand up so well ans surpass so many of today's kits - so doubly sad that they are now such unusual and often sights in British highstreet shops.

I have issues with the hasegawa -104.. it is truly a love hate relationship. When I initially opened the box, I thought it was the best kit ever. Clear Instrument panel, fantastic cockpit details, great looking fit. then I build it.... just one HUGE issue. From this:

8T6_zps45231eb2.jpg

To this:

8T7_zps63b35a69.jpg... is a pain. It rarely goes together straight, and as a result I have a huge amount of sanding and rescribing of some intricate details to get it back to the way it was. I've build three, and tried different things each time. My next attempt will be to build each half in full, and then attach them down the centre. We'll see how that goes.

I think italeri has some great helicopters. I don't know where I would place it, but I loved their H-34... its missing some details but it was really an pleasing build. In the 2000s they were definitely behind. Compare the A-26 to Hasegawa's B-26 or E-2C: they are separated by two years, yet it might as well be two decades. I've not seen their newer offerings (the 4 engine brit category) so I don't know how to stack them up now.

Thanks folks; I'd have to agree with most of that -the Tamiya Ford and Academy F-8 are very good indeed. For me, Fujimi's Cutlass is 'pleasing' rather than top-drawer (the seat...really should be better!). I haven't seen the Tam Viper, but have almost finished the 1/48 one and it is rather nice.

I know what you're saying with the cutlass, but its something I think ALL jet aircraft suffer from this. Probably my #1 purchase for every jet kit is a resin seat. I've already got replacement seats for my FM F-14... the kit that everybody thinks is the best ever, so I can overlook this on the cutlass. The Skyway has a great seat, because its relatively simple. The Cutlass wins on great engineering, cockpit, and other details like dropped flaps... but perhaps my memory of it is a slight bit rose-coloured.

Edited by -Neu-

Maybe my Starfighter was a fluke as I font recall an issue with a step, which would have been rather noticable with a NM fuselage+white wing rocketship.

Im definitely in the 99% ham fisted brigade and i consider one of the biggest factors is simply this:- can I buy it locally, and at a reasonable price, without resorting to the interwebby and potential multi week waits.

Edited by dpm1did1

I heard and read very good responses on Trumpeter's Wyvern and Sea Fury (maybe the latter is not that modern though).

Also Italeri's A-6 is usually highly praised.

Tamiya F4D Skyray - This is really a classic. Cockpit is beautiful, the engineering is fantastic too. Its not a complex kit, but its probably the best jet kit ever made... its like the gold standard for me.

This assessment makes me consider buying this kit :) Really. The only thing I'm not 100% sure is the decals quality. AFAIK Tamiya's decals are not the top-level. Edited by Dennis_C

Ytareh: I think so. Its a really nice subject, with fewer parts than you think. Much like other Tamiya kits, you can pre-paint most of it on the sprue, which really helps.

I heard and read very good responses on Trumpeter's Wyvern and Sea Fury (maybe the latter is not that modern though).
Also Italeri's A-6 is usually highly praised.

This assessment makes me consider buying this kit :) Really. The only thing I'm not 100% sure is the decals quality. AFAIK Tamiya's decals are not the top-level.

Actually, that's the downer for this kit: the wing-walkways of mine splintered into a thousand pieces. Now I was building the more decal heavy VF(AW)-3, with the large blue and gold decals. If you select one of the other two marine options, there is less chance of any issues. I colour matched the area and repainted it, which you can see with the discolouration right above the intake, and near the end of the walkway.

4B13.jpg

• Like 1

Again, the Skyray I built was 1/48 but I believe the 1/72 one is the same basic delight only without a wing-fold option? Considering the bigger one was only my second effort after getting into the game 10 years ago, it worked out OK. One day, I'm gonna tidy it up a little bit...

iba8vLkfwskVPe.JPG

-Neu-, that Blue Nemesis looks stunning!

Dennis_C, the Sea Fury was used in Korea and over Giron during the Bay Of Pigs affair, so I reckon it qualifies here. The Trumpeter one is 'dead above the waist', though (cockpit opening and canopy are well out).

I really like the Hasegawa F-104 kits, they are lovely and cost very little in Japan. The fuselage assembly can be tricky but with some care can be sorted easily.

At the same time I feel that this kit lacks something in terms of details compared to the tamiya F-16 or the FM tomcat.

The academy crusader is another great kit and the F-18 from the same company is also very good. Not sure if they are the best 1/72 kits of postwar subjects though.

Hi there

Well After reading this L started to reemember Fujimi's F-86, Hasewaga F-111, F-14, f-15, F-16, Draken, A-1skyraider, A-3 Skywarrior Revell Tornado, Hawker Hunter and F-16 are all good kits

Interesting threat indeed!

There are so many kits I have no seen but believe would rank high like Tamiya's F-16 and F-84, Academy F-8 etc. but a few comments of what I have seen and even some I have built...

I would rank Eduard MiG-15 high. If not top but at least close of it. I have built it and liked it very much.

Academy legacy-Hornet looks also very good but as I don't have building experience so far I let the verdict to those who have built it. Zvezda Su-27 is said to be top-notch if the missing bulged canopy doesn't disturb. Italeri helo's Bell 412 Griffon and AS Super Puma are at least close to top of the genre. As said Chinese can really be accuracy-wise from top to bottom. Recent MiG-29 seems as a kit very good. I saw recently the Trumpeteer JF-17 Thunder which looked as a kit with really advanced tool design having for example slide molds used to get details on the sides of the single-part ejection seat. Buildability and accuracy are open questions for me. Tool technology, surface and plastic quality looks to be in higher class than most of the European manufacturers.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

Hi, all,

Tamiya F-16s I vote.

In the kits mentioned in the thread, I see some overlooked issues (in most they do not detract the possibility of building a good model and a good representation of the original, but I think we are talking about that special something else here):

- Fujimi A-4B/C/etc.: The Airfix Gang (now they have their own A-4B) is claiming the fuselage cross section is grossly oversized;

- Fujimi Phantom FGR.2: cockpit tubs are grossly undersized and the detail is fake;

- Revell Tornadoes: wings are a pain to get a proper symmetric anhedral; they made "split fuselages" for an ADV version (?) which never showed -and would have been innacurate anyway- (they are budget kits, well worth their cost, but not "the best");

- Academy F-18A/C: I have not yet built it, but the pieces set up looks daunting. There is no fuselage!;

- Fine Molds F-14 IS impressive, but it should have come with flaps/slats deployed to be on top; the armament sprue doesn't hold in quality with the rest of the kit;

- Hase 104: certainly close. I cannot understand why they molded it with split fuselage (I know, to allow for the two-seater, but that's not enough of a reason -many more people would buy the single seater- So much better with dedicated completed fuselages, like they did in the 1/48 kit)

The runners-up list is really big, which speaks high of the average quality of the kits.

The criteria set by -neu- are very practical ad applicable. I should add that IMHO, the simpler the represented aircraft is, the easier to kit; therefore, when the quality is equal, the kit representing the more complex aircraft should be given the point. That's what I see in Eduard MiG-15 and Tamiya F4D.

I would add that some Revell kits (no wonder I live in Germany) are excellent kits, most probably hampered by being made on a budget. The F-4Fs, Hunters, MiG-21s, Gripens and Rafales are more than very good; you can see where the projected retail price forced some cutbacks and compromises. The F-16A/B would be right on top but for the existence of the Tamiya kit (not the C, where some cutbacks have compromised accuracy).

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

The Fujimi Skyhawk has been criticized from the stsrt for the accuracy of the fuselage sections. A fellow local modeler who loves the A-4 often told me that will all its problems, the Esci kit is still the most accurate 1/72 Skyhawk.

The lack of separate flaps and slats on the FM Tomcat is annoying but really this is only because Hasegawa and Fujimi have treated us well in the past.

Really these surfaces are deployed only at take off and landing, never when the aircraft is parked. How many kits represent such features?

I consider more important the lack of separate flaps/slats on the Academy Hornet as this types invariably has these deployed when on the ground

• Like 2

I consider more important the lack of separate flaps/slats on the Academy Hornet as this types invariably has these deployed when on the ground

Absolutely right; you shouldn't have to resort to resin (or plastic surgery) to get a non-flying Hornet. I went the Wolfpack route for mine. Also, if this sort of thing matters to you, I can recommend NeOmega's full intake/main gear bay castings -these are very nicely detailed and fit with minimum grief; probably better than trying to fix a 3rd party seamless intake around the (inaccurate) kit gear bays...or someone else's resin ones!

Edited by AngstROM