Stringbag theory.-1/72 Revell Swordfish.

stevej60

Hi all,just fancied a quickish (maybe a couple of weeks anyway) build just to keep in touch with my 1/72 side so swapped my

eldest a kit for this as I only have a couple of 1/72 small kit,s in the meager stash,It,s the old Matchbox kit which accuracy

issues aside was one of their better mold's.the cockpit is none existent so a bit of scratchbuilding will be needed just to "busy"

it up and It's been a while since I did a biplane.Finish will be for an aircraft that attacked the Bismark flown of Ark royal.

the box:

SDC14547%20600x450_zpscj6qztme.jpg

The spru'es:

SDC14549%20600x450_zpsigasqoxt.jpg

and a shot of the fuselage:

SDC14548%20600x450_zpsgx7o6hia.jpg

and my only other bi-plane to date,Revell's old Nieport with streched sprue rigging which I will be doing on the Swordfish.

SDC11315_zps771551ec.jpg

SDC11313_zps416d64d9.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

Hi all,no modeling tonight but while waiting for SWMBO to get ready I cut of and cleaned up the main part,s and dug out a couple(I know I need three)

of figures which pending my paint skills I may add,that said I think I have a bit of extra work to do on the cockpit as it only has two very wrong looking

seats and two separate floors! Ah well......................

SDC14551%20600x450_zpsxrr7an15.jpgSDC14553%20600x450_zpst94ifxao.jpg

• Like 1

I'll be following this one, I have a bit if a soft spot for the stringbag! BTW you put the guns on incorrectly on the Nieuport. They should both be mounted on the left...one below the other!

Ian

• Like 1

You will need to lose the covering over the observer's cockpit as this was only seen on AS equipped aircraft.

Martin

Thank's Martin, I,ll need to do a bit more research on how to busy up the cockpit.

I'll be following this one, I have a bit if a soft spot for the stringbag! BTW you put the guns on incorrectly on the Nieuport. They should both be mounted on the left...one below the other!

Ian

Thank,s Ian,no idea how I missed that in the instructions! next time I clean the shelves I'll correct her.

Hi all,a good search around on the interweb has given me a few pointer's how to "busy up the cockpit,mainly some excellent builds of the new Airfix and

Tamiya kits of the Swordfish.so I have cut out the stubs for the floor suplied with the kit and after using plastic rod to replicate the cradle I used the

rocket rail pieces not being used to build a more accurate one piece floor.As per Martin,s information the fuselage has been cut in the correct area and

next step will be to paint the interior what seems to be a shade of earth and then pick out the framing etc in interior green.

SDC14555%20600x450_zpsuoap0do4.jpgSDC14556%20600x450_zps1asc0lls.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 4

Hiya Steve,

Good luck with this one mate! I did one a few years ago and here is my attempt at scratching a basic interior for this kit,......don`t forget to add the ledge around the interior of the rear cockpit. Also the floor section of the pilots cockpit slopes down and underneath this is a bomb aimers position with windows on either side which can be seen between the large struts between the fuselage and lower wings;

7_zpsuh6iwh4d.jpg

All the best

Tony

• Like 3

Thank's Tony,I,m nearly there with some form of cockpit not entirely accurate but you can judge for yourself soon,That certainly look,s good I,m

already asking myself why not just go out and buy the new tool Airfix offering but let's pretend it hasn't been released yet :winkgrin:

Hi all,dipped into this one after a nice day out at the coast with SWMBO,as previously stated not very accurate but I,m happy it look's busy,just a dry

brush to do then join up the fuselage.The pilot's are not going in now mainly because they wont fit! also got the six piece upper wing assembled so

once dry a little filler and a swipe with wet and dry will suffice.Thank's for looking in.

SDC14571%20600x450_zpsprr5jorq.jpgSDC14573%20600x450_zpsslwo4lam.jpgSDC14572%20600x450_zpscwce0chw.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Hi Steve,

once the fuselage is closed, it will all look pretty convincing!

I have never seen the Matchbox Stringbag though. I have an old Frog one in the stash, which I intend doing on a rainy day (OK, make that a rainy year!)

You're going to have fun with the rigging!!!

Good show

JR

Hi Steve,

once the fuselage is closed, it will all look pretty convincing!

I have never seen the Matchbox Stringbag though. I have an old Frog one in the stash, which I intend doing on a rainy day (OK, make that a rainy year!)

You're going to have fun with the rigging!!!

Good show

JR

Thank,s Jean nice to hear from you,yes the rigging will slow things up,happy to say it look,s like thing's will speed up for now!

SDC14576%20600x450_zpswrj1runy.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

Good progress since I last looked in!

Martin

Thank,s Martin and here,s the latest,just popped the top wing on for a dry run(no issues) but the rest firmly fixed in place and left to thoroughly dry.

SDC14578%20600x450_zpseeooturi.jpg

SDC14579%20600x450_zpsc4m4tymq.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good there! If you put two crewmen in the back, the cockpit detail will all be pretty much invisible anyway. Ask me how I know...

Whilst I love the new Airfix Swordfish, I have only built the three older 1/72 kits (Airfix, Frog, Matchbox). The old Airfix and the Matchbox kits simply fall together, even if the detail is a bit sparse.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1