1/48 Mosquito two-stage nacelles

JasonC

• 3 weeks later...

These arrived in the post this morning. :coolio:

22427898522_055a9c8a4f_z.jpg

They're the grills that are seen on the carburettor inlets of later two-stage machines. For an example, see the Walkaround here on BM:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71199-de-havilland-dh98-mosquito/

I suspect it's a post war mod; I don't think I've seen a wartime two-stage Mossie with them fitted. Or else I haven't looked hard enough! Being on the carburettor intake, I assume they're something to do with air cleaning/filtration. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested to find out.

The art was created in Corel Draw (30-day free trial!) and printed up by these folks.

Here it is just laid onto the intake. The attachment tabs haven't yet been trimmed.

22254407429_b24030f025_z.jpg

• Like 8

Well two weeks holiday in October put a bit of a speed bump in the way of progress.

Anyway, the wheel well interiors have been given a quick and dirty coat of silver and a wash. Not my best work, but since the focus is getting the nacelles together and fitted I guess I'll have to leave detailed wheel wells for a future build!

The rear (plastic) halves of the nacelles were then glued together. Once that was done, the resin front has been attached with medium CA.

21960927484_91903d0b74_z.jpg

Here are the six-stack exhausts, a cast modification of the Tamiya items. Just dry fitted to the nacelles for the minute.

22570122432_c455443098_z.jpg

cheers,

Jason

• Like 6

The nacelle dry fitted to the wing. I think the priority will be to line up the upper surface contour to get a step free joint. I may therefore shim the gaps on the side with some styrene strip.

22557692036_7f7f48d62d_z.jpg

cheers,

J.

• Like 2

These are great and a much needed item for anyone wanting to build late mark Mosquitos. Am I right in assuming this was only limited run and now unavailable or are there plans to make them available to a wider market? I for one would be interested in at least one set and probably more.

Hi Jason,

That is looking very neat.

All you need to do now is the rest of the airframe!!! ;-p

Regards

Darren

Is there any chance for one set send PM

??

P.k

P.s. PM sent

The PR.34 (RG314) that i am planning to build has the grills and two smaller air scoops on the port side of both engines. But as my knowledge on Mosquitoes doesn't go beyond the reference books that I have then I am not sure whether those two things mentioned were common on the other postwar mossies.

Thanks Jonners. The Top Banana gong will hang in pride of place above the workbench.

Good to meet you yesterday, as well as a few others from BM to put faces to names. Hope you had a good day on the stand.

cheers,

Jason

A large part of the weekend was spend child proofing the house, which on the face of it would seem to be a neverending task as the little fella steadily increases in height and reach. I dread the day when he can reach the modelling desk.

Between that and bottling a batch of homebrew, progress has been limited. The wing halves have been glued together, marred only by a small incident with Tamiya Extra Thin. I've long since learnt to keep my fingers well away from the joint but on this occasion the glue decided to wick up a panel line from the leading edge to my finger, a distance of at least a centimeter. Cue one fingerprint to sand out, and an enforced decision to do away with some raised rivets. :dunce:

As far as prepping the nacelle goes, Ali recommends a quick wash with detergent (in tepid water), or a wipe down with IPA to remove any oil or grease. Being a belt and braces sort of chap I shall do both, and am happy to report 50% progress towards that goal. Primer next.

At least I think my PM's are now up to date. :)

cheers,

J.

• Like 1

Hi Jason

Please add another "top banana award" above your work bench.

Now, having a busted knee at the moment, makes access to the stash/" alternative loft insulation" a bit problematic. But I so want to dig out my Mossie stuff!

Regards

Darren

Thanks Darren.

Now, having a busted knee at the moment, makes access to the stash/" alternative loft insulation" a bit problematic.

That's what the wife/best mate/dog* is for surely? ;) Get building!

Cheers,

Jason

*delete as appropriate!

• Like 1

I just received my Mossie nacelles by post, thanks very much! As good as they look in the photo's, they are even better in reality!

Congratulations on the great masters you created, and to Ali M for the flawless casting, thanks for making them available to all of us.

Colin

• Like 1