Wingnut Wings 1/32 Sopwith Snipe (Late Version)

Mark

Thanks John!

The jig is from Little Cars. If you go to their website, http://www.modellingtools.co.uk and look for JH Modle sin the drop down menu under 'Brands' you will find the jig I have which is the 'Aircraft Jig Biplane Large.' It is an absolutely brilliant piece of kit and has been a Godsend whilst building the Snipe!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time does indeed fly! The last post was way back in March and there has been quite a few things happening here on my workbench. But thanks to Gary (Redcap) who gave me a kick up the butt, the Snipe is back on the table.

I mentioned earlier that I had broken the pushrods when trying to snip them off the runner. All the engine parts are on one runner, E, and are so delicately detailed.

DSC_3114_zpsmxqumund.jpg

You can see in this next photo the sprue gates that need to be cut in order to release the part. The plastic is quite hard and brittle and the stress of snipping the part off easily breaks the pushrods, so next time I am going to use a hot scalpel and melt through them before tidying the parts up with a sanding stick.

DSC_3115_zpswbufvw3t.jpg

The parts above are the new ones that arrived from WnW a few week's ago. Luckily the sell them as separate runners on their website and this saved me the expense of either having to buy the more expensive resin after-market Bentley BR.2 engine from Taurus Models, or go down the road of scratchbuilding building. But even though many of the pushrods were broken, I still decided to have a go at constructing and painting the engine for practice. It's such a shame that this was the case as I'm really pleased with the result!

DSC_3113%201_zpscwwospg5.jpg

So now it's back to work with this beautiful kit and as my WnW stash of kits grows I am really looking forward to getting started on them soon!

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Evening all! Well, I've been rather busy at the bench over the last week and this kit is really beginning to take shape now.

When I last posted photos on here, the Snipe was almost going to have her upper wing attached when disaster struck. I totally lost one of the previously painted inter-wing struts. Not just any one, but etc one with the pitot tube attached! So it was not really viable to scratch build a replacement and another email was sent off to WnW to buy a replacement sprue. By this stage I was certainly treating this as a 'test' model, or a 'practice' kit to introduce me to the idiosyncrasies of these beautiful model kits.

The postman soon arrived with the new parts and I set about painting the one one strut that I needed. Bob's Buckles had already arrived, along with some Maxima Chameleon fishing line, which is what I intended to rig the Snipe with.

It's been a long slog getting to the stage where she's seen below, but I have learned a lot of new techniques and methods along the way. The oil striking on the undersides does not really match the photos that I have seen, but it's good enough on this kit for me. I'll take a lot more care on the next one though and will be really careful with those finer parts; they are so easy to break, as well as lose!

So, here's where I'm at right now. As you can see, that upper wing is now attached. All the struts aligned perfectly and rather surprisingly, the whole assembly is not quite as fragile as I'd feared.

DSC_3372_zpskn0fecrm.jpg~original

DSC_3371_zpszlzan1kg.jpg

DSC_3373_zps8gh8kqyr.jpg

DSC_3374_zpsvahnx2r1.jpg

DSC_3376_zpsjknklhje.jpg

DSC_3378_zpscrky3eyr.jpg

DSC_3379_zpsjchuxeqd.jpg

DSC_3380_zpsheqbokse.jpg

DSC_3381_zps9uavjov7.jpg

DSC_3386_zpszfo5afoi.jpg

DSC_3385_zpsns1ztdcm.jpg

All in all, it has been a most satisfying week at the bench, helped no less by the fact that work is relatively quiet right now. The rigging is proving to be challenging, the tiny brass tubes that represent the turnbuckles look OK but are so tiny and ping everywhere from the tips of the tweezers! I'll be ordering a lot more soon at this rate!

Hope you like the photos and as always, critique, harsh or otherwise, is always welcome but before anyone says so, I know the lower, starboard aileron is not attached yet! ;) 

• Like 9

Mark, what an inspirational thread this is. I have always wanted to see one of these kits for myself even though they aren't  weren't really in my scale or main interest group. (In fact I know quite a few people who say the same but, none the less, are really interested in WnW due to what they have done with regards to pushing the quality and detail available from a plastic injection kit.) 

Shortly I will have quite a sizeable 'stash' of WnW kits and I had already pencilled in this very kit as one I should take a closer look at as I really like the look of the post WW1 colour schemes, you have made my mind up for me and I thank you for that.

Thanks for posting this WIP, I have sat here and read it and marvelled at the kit and your skills. I can feel my Mojo rising (There's a song title in that I'm sure!).

Duncan B

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your kind words! I was going to give you a call next week regarding the future supply of WnW kits to Europe and an order etc. After all, I can't let Beardie and Chris Jephcott have all the stock to themselves!

I'm not happy with the castor old staining / streaking on the undersides. This was done using AK streaking effects, but as these are enamel based, when trying to get a dot of the 'paint' to flow along the bottom of the fuselage by blowing it with the hairdryer, it simply dries as the solvent evaporates! I hope you get what I mean? What I need is to replicate this effect:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-05%20at%2010.20.

I guess I'm going to have to use water based paints and find a stronger source of wind!

• Like 2

Looking very good Mark, it's quite a nreve wracking stage getting all those struts on and lining up the top wing!

I've tried all sorts to get a castor oil streak effect, as you say watercolours seem to work ok, with the added bonus that you can wipe it away and start again if it is not quite right.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the kind words chaps! I now have three days off and intend to get at least three more rigging lines done!

• 3 months later...

Splendid work mark. I loverd the interior work, the wood grain streaking looked just the biz. The finished item exquisite, congratulations. I'd love to build one myself but the scale precludes me being interested...

Thanks for the journey.

Colin

• 8 months later...

Nice, looking forward to this. I think Beauchamp-Proctor flew one and crashed to his death shortly after the War. Really want one as well (so many models, so little time!) - it's great to have the Snipe now available in this scale as well.

• 3 months later...

Looking really good, love to see how this Snipe is progressing.  Very very tempted by this kit myself and I've mostly built afvs this last few years!

Good luck

Darryl 

Great build Mark, I'm yet to build my first WNW kit.  My stash is slowly growing and I'm busy researching all things WNW I hope to start one later in the year once I've got my current and a couple other planned builds out of the way. 

As for castor oil, I was thinking oil paint heavily thinned then blown.  I've used this on my AFV builds and it works, it may not for aircraft but I can't see why not after all it's oil! 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, jannie said:

Nice, looking forward to this. I think Beauchamp-Proctor flew one and crashed to his death shortly after the War. Really want one as well (so many models, so little time!) - it's great to have the Snipe now available in this scale as well.

Hi Jannie! You are right! Flt. Lt. Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor VC DSO MC DFC did indeed fly the Snipe and sadly lost his life during a practice detail prior to an air display due to be held at RAF Hendon in 1921.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:35 AM, Jasper dog said:

Looking really good, love to see how this Snipe is progressing.  Very very tempted by this kit myself and I've mostly built afvs this last few years!

Good luck

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl! She's almost at the top of the 'To Finish' list!!

37 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

Great build Mark, I'm yet to build my first WNW kit.  My stash is slowly growing and I'm busy researching all things WNW I hope to start one later in the year once I've got my current and a couple other planned builds out of the way. 

As for castor oil, I was thinking oil paint heavily thinned then blown.  I've used this on my AFV builds and it works, it may not for aircraft but I can't see why not after all it's oil! 

Cheers Kev! I'll have a try with that technique later today.

In a reply to Duncan B (Black Mike models)  Not to Muddy  the Waters  "Got my mojo working".

(Though the song is often associated with Muddy Waters, Preston Foster penned the original tune under contract at Chess. So many artists have covered this tune – Manfred Mann,Ike and Tina Turner, Paul Butterfield, Canned Heat, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, The Grateful Dead, B.B. King, Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, ...)

Purchased a Sopwith Camel Le Rhone from you at Scot Nats Saturday.

I didn't do online stuff apart from may be Easy Jet but have really found the Britmodeller site a revelation - a big thanks for the web site.

Found this thread a total inspiration! 

Thanks Mark yes it really has got my Mojo Working, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEYwk0bypY - 1966 what a year!!! 😂

Tim K