1/48 - Curtiss P-40B Warhawk & Tomahawk Mk.II by Airfix - released - new Tomahawk Mk.II boxing in June 2024

Homebee

Thanks. Do you have drawings like this for the bottom wings, showing the ammo doors etc for the 2 and 4 gun versions?

I don't see how else the empty weight difference between B and C can be explained but by two extra wing guns.

It's a bit irrelevant though, because my guide for a model will be a photo itself (showing 2 or 4 guns) and not its caption (stating it's B or C or whatever).

19 hours ago, 48-Alone-Is-Great said:

Thanks. Do you have drawings like this for the bottom wings, showing the ammo doors etc for the 2 and 4 gun versions?

I don't see how else the empty weight difference between B and C can be explained but by two extra wing guns.

It's a bit irrelevant though, because my guide for a model will be a photo itself (showing 2 or 4 guns) and not its caption (stating it's B or C or whatever).

Do you have the Dana Bell book?...

6 hours ago, 48-Alone-Is-Great said:

Aircraft Pictorial 5? No, not (yet). Does it have drawings of the bottom wing for all the gun versions?

Not drawing .. photos from the manuals..I have them too but don't like to post because it was Dana that gave me copys of all his files for his book  (Dana an I exchanged information I have a credit in the book)...

Below is some my own stuff

Hawk752gunwing.jpgTomahawkguns_zps1c5c881e.jpgWing%2001_zpszggsflto.jpg

Edited by HBBates

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Out of general curiosity, has the earlier mentioned issues of the tail wheel bay and jacking hole position appear to have been rectified?

I take it the nose line is correct, or near as damn it?

Yes the tail wheel bay, lifting hole and the access panels have all been moved aft from what we saw in the CAD.

Edited by Tbolt

21 hours ago, HBBates said:

Not drawing .. photos from the manuals..I have them too but don't like to post because it was Dana that gave me copys of all his files for his book  (Dana an I exchanged information I have a credit in the book)...

Below is some my own stuff

Thanks, book's on my list. Are those 'fins' perhaps caps?

6 hours ago, 48-Alone-Is-Great said:

Thanks, book's on my list. Are those 'fins' perhaps caps?

No the "fins" on barrel tip end of brit .303's guns is something commonly seen. (see de havilland mosquito photo below with "fins" on gun barrels just behind the flash guard )

I think it started as something needed as extra cooling or spacer to center guns in a blast tube in a wing leading edge and then it was just easier to make it standard ...

feature07-09.jpg

==========================================================================================================================

I've only seen the random mixing of "fin" and non "fin" gun barrels on the same aircraft with the Tomahawk ..and the random mix of gun barrels types on the RAF Tomahawks seem to be very common 

Tomahawkguns_zps1c5c881e.jpg

Edited by HBBates
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBBates said:

So does anyone know the reason for the ongoing delay on the release of this kit? 

Well, they're not saying but I would imagine it's logistical rather than technical.

John

I'm actually considering asking my mother to cancel her pre-order (if that's even possible) and get me another manufacturers P-40B, don't know which one though as I'm sure none will be quite as good as Airfix's new tool one, or maybe getting an Academy Tomahawk instead as I plan to build one for my DAF collection (of 2 planes, a Hurricane IID and Tomahawk!)...

Have just seen on Wonderland models that they say it'll be available on October 13th...

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-148-curtiss-p-40b-model-kit/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmri_BRCZpaHkuIH75_IBEiQAIG0rIYb2e4Yi2jYCSrZRxV-tWNBoWc5Va_yOPzwOn_GnLRAaAvw98P8HAQ

Edited by Raven Morpheus

2 hours ago, Raven Morpheus said:

I'm actually considering asking my mother to cancel her pre-order (if that's even possible) and get me another manufacturers P-40B, don't know which one though as I'm sure none will be quite as good as Airfix's new tool one, or maybe getting an Academy Tomahawk instead as I plan to build one for my DAF collection (of 2 planes, a Hurricane IID and Tomahawk!)...

Have just seen on Wonderland models that they say it'll be available on October 13th...

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-148-curtiss-p-40b-model-kit/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmri_BRCZpaHkuIH75_IBEiQAIG0rIYb2e4Yi2jYCSrZRxV-tWNBoWc5Va_yOPzwOn_GnLRAaAvw98P8HAQ

I wouldn't cancel the pre-order, this will be a hard kit to get on back-order.

13 hours ago, Raven Morpheus said:

I'm sure you can find something else to work on while you wait a few days for it.

Airfix would be better off just not doing lead times and say, its released in the 3rd Quarter of the year or 4th Quarter. Would avoid disappointment. If I worked to their deadlines in education I would have been sacked years ago.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2016 at 1:30 AM, Raven Morpheus said:

Wish they'd at least give some indication as to why.  If I were Airfix I'd be looking at getting them out in time for the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbour, i.e. before the start of December.  The way they're going it doesn't look like they will...

More likely they want them available at Telford!!

Jonners, being patient